[Showcase] Special Forces Elite 4 (Thread 1)

(Locked)

@Beseige - I do like your suggesting for the Siege Tanks but I don't think that is what I'll end up doing with them in the end. It is good to have ideas like this though so I can better formulate what I had/have in mind. Also, I am aware of the SCVs thing and I find that to be a fun tactic so I will find that entertaining right along with you. Thanks for the input again.

@Wings - Glad to hear it and best of luck. I'll keep you posted.

@Bobucles - I concur with your response on the Siege Tanks. This is more in line with what I had in mind and far easier to implement. Thanks for the comment.

@Zero - Thank you Zero and yes I am aware of the issue which you're referring to. Thank you for playing the map and your comments here.

[Update]: I just published update (1.3) and updated my page one post for this thread. Thank you all for continuing to support the map and provide comments on it here.

Here is a copy of the official change log for version (1.3):
(1.3)
Increased difficulty of Roach Queen slightly
Re-enabled the periodic spawning of certain units
Re-created the timed attack I accidentally deleted (around 16 minutes)
Fixed most portraits that spoke via telepathy (their mouths move now)
Changed the -colors trigger command to only display for the Triggering Player
Nerfed Hyper Security System (Ace Auto-Turret Buff)
Fixed New Generation Bunker (Ace Bunker Buff)
Improved upon Admin Recognition System (Shakespeare anybody?)
Reworked more data to continue improvement
Modified Artanis' Planet Cracker ability
Removed Orbital Healing Actor to reduce lag for a lot of players
All units should now be transportable

[Signature]: Find players who are players you can play with and play your way to victory!
Great work Jason, I'll test out the changes soon!

For the next update, can you get two items on the priority list?

• The fixed hotkeys for the four heros.
  • - Shadow Walker (hero) Shadow Boost shows E for hotkey but doesn't respond
    - Zyrkhan (hero) Graviton Prison shows E for hotkey but doesn't respond
    - Alan Schezar (hero) Energy Barrier shows W for hotkey but doesn't respond
    - Outback Hunter (hero) Defensive Barrier shows W for hotkey but doesn't respond
    - Festor (hero) Fungal hotkey doesn't respond[/li]

• Disappearing of the Command Center upgrade option after attack speed has been fully upgraded (for both Protoss and Terran)
  • Thanks.
    Edited by Choo on 8/25/2012 6:35 PM PDT
    Nice work.

- Outback Hunter (hero) Defensive Barrier shows W for hotkey but doesn't respond[/li]

• Disappearing of the Command Center upgrade option after attack speed has been fully upgraded (for both Protoss and Terran)
  • Thanks.

Add the Festor to that list, the hotkey for FUNGAL... where is it? :P.
    Nice work.

- Outback Hunter (hero) Defensive Barrier shows W for hotkey but doesn't respond[/li]

• Thanks.

Add the Festor to that list, the hotkey for FUNGAL... where is it? :P.

Oh ok, added. Never used the Festor.

I remember playing with you the other day, it was just us two and some other player. Straight up ended the game quickly. :p
    Loving the changes. Every new update feels like you're getting closer to something very special. I've played the latest update a few times and have some specific suggestions if it's helpful to you Jason.

- Please consider allowing Command Center to go beyond 20 levels of improvement. I don't think it should be capable of defending all by itself, but it would be nice if it could pack a punch and help defend the final wave at least a little bit. Currently its damage cap can barely handle mid-tier enemies.

- Examine the triggers for when a unit already has 16 buffs. Right now if you try to cast a 17th buff you lose 10,000 minerals. Not a big deal once but it adds up over the course of a game.

- Increase the effect leveling has on units and/or increase the level cap for normal units. A max level turret for instance with all buffs is generally a waste of minerals compared to a max level stone zealot with max buffs, even though the stone zealot only costs a few thousand more minerals total.
    Hey Jason, first of all, thanks for all the work you've done so far, the buff system redo is much appreciated! To be honest with you, and this may just be me and my friends, but we think the game is great as it is, we would just like new heroes! I know this a huge undertaking, but I believe most people who play the game casually would just like some more heroes as they are the center piece of the game. Thanks again for all your work.
    Also since I know you're strapped for time, if you want a new hero added I've got some spare time this month between semesters to add a new custom hero for you. I could just duplicate your existing character triggers and then make some fun new abilities. I'm good with the editor and would complete the whole thing without bugging you if you need a hand.

Actually it might be fun to redo the character select triggers altogether. I like using the 3D portrait models over the little icons myself. But really, anything I can do to help.
    - Examine the triggers for when a unit already has 16 buffs. Right now if you try to cast a 17th buff you lose 10,000 minerals. Not a big deal once but it adds up over the course of a game.

- Increase the effect leveling has on units and/or increase the level cap for normal units. A max level turret for instance with all buffs is generally a waste of minerals compared to a max level stone zealot with max buffs, even though the stone zealot only costs a few thousand more minerals total.

The first point has been already noted and explained that it's not a bug, but a little bit of evilness from Jason. The second part, I'm not sure if I agree. Each unit has it's own strengths and weaknesses despite overall costs being similar (if you consider each unit's upgrades too). Turrets have their place in the game and are not a waste since their disadvantage of being stationary is balanced by their ability to outrange pretty much every other unit. On a separate note, I might be able to spare a few hours to test the map this week. :)
    Edited by Wings on 8/27/2012 5:41 PM PDT
    I commend your activeness and openness in your development of Special Forces.

To promote teamwork, I just wanted to suggest that you create a system where a dual-Terran-Protoss defensive structure would be superior to just a Terran defense or a Protoss defense.
    Edited by TheDestroyer on 8/28/2012 3:56 PM PDT
    It's called using psi disruptors, healing towers, and obelisks :) But I think that making a synergistic terran/protoss defense sounds like a great idea. Any ideas on how to implement this, TheDestroyer?

edit: just tested the latest version (I assume 1.3 still, see my first suggestion lol) and have a couple of notes:

- could you start updating the changelog with the version on the load screen

- suggestion for the first post: if there is a strikethrough function on the forum, cross out things on the "to do" list as you make those changes and immediately after the crossed out item, add a note in brackets stating the version you fixed it. by doing this you can take out the changelog (things I've done) section and keep those details only on the load screen only (as in my previous point. this should also minimize the clutter in your first post.

- it might be helpful for you (Jason) and the community to know exactly which units need what specific tweaks, for example Loki in my next point. I'm sure you know a lot of the units that need fixing but without actually listing them on the first page, you'll get repeated comments on the same units and won't find out which ones you're missing. the main unit problems I can think of would be 1) hotkeys, 2) unit animations, 3) actual unit abilities/ace buffs, 4) typos, so maybe start the list with these four and then have a nested list of the specific unit and detail (an example for each of these topics would be: unit "X", hotkey "Y" for special ability "Z"; or unit "X", "Y" animation does not work; or unit "X", ace ability does not give "Y"; or typo with unit "X"). this should also reduce the clutter overall.

- Loki, hotkeys should be QWE, I believe yamato is set as Y and should be W to fit into the QWER hotkey scheme. let me know if you need help with this, I can probably spare some time on Thurs/Fri to go through the map.

- maybe add a section in your first post with FAQ *cough* difficulty system past 16th buff lol

- I'm glad to see the missing units come back (such as manslaughter). how are the changes coming along with difficulty of the overall map and/or difficulty system
    Edited by Wings on 8/28/2012 10:40 PM PDT
    I just found that ares's hot key "W" which change its weapon to anti-infantry does not work.
    I think I found a rather major bug. I was using Ravens a few nights ago to mind control Zerg units. For some reason when some of the Zerg died, I received the message that 25% of my resources has been deducted because a hero has died. Most of the Zerg units were not heroes (can't control heros) and most were not promoted to them. It still it gave the message that "Player 16" has been revived but no units appear. It happened at least over 10 times that game, went from 600k minerals to 100k in a matter of seconds. I'll try to isolate the problem again but just know that each player revived comes back as "Player 16," though no units actually appear.
    @Choo - Thank you for the post. I am working on the issues you have posted for sure. It's just taking long that expected.

@AlmoadiN - Thank you for that update as well. When I had the Festor fixed and moved onto something else it re-broke the Festor... This is because everything is attached to everything else in almost every way possible sadly.

@Ash - Thank you for the post. I will consider having the Planetary Fortress go past 20 upgrade levels. I'm thinking 5 levels times the number of players which would be 30 upgrades max. The 10k wasted minerals beyond the 16th buff is my evil side. The way leveling effects units will be remaining the same for now indefinately. That would just be a huge chunk of work I don't feel needs done until I resolve everything else.

@McGBaileys - Thank you for your post, I certainly appreciate your patronage.

@Ash (again) - I appreciate the offer for assistance indeed. Right now I work on the map in two parts though. The version I have for publishing and the version I actually am working on adding all the changes to. The version that gets work done on it is so discombobulated it's a nightmare I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy; this is why I'm not bringing anyone else in on the project for the time being.

@Wings - I certainly appreciate your assistance and posts so far, thank you.

@TheDestroyer - A good idea, thank you for the input. I'll have to put some thought into how I might be able to do something like that.

@Wings (again) - I play to re-add the version number back to the loading screen as that seems to be where players notice it most. There is no strikethrough function as far as I am aware though. I'll see if there is a better way I can do the first post. As for trying to document every unit that needs tweaks I feel that would be far too tedious due to everything I see and know needs work. As much as I would love to be able to provide that kind of information it would take a large chunk of time to compile it (most of it is in my head). When I do play though I actually take a look at all units hotkeys and that's how I get the list in my head and just make mental notes. I have an actual document around here with ones I've documented but it's typed out how I think and would not make a lick of sense on the forums. I do enjoy seeing the posts about going beyond the 16th buff though (they're almost like free bumps too wuahaha). Lastly, I'm glad I brought back those units I removed and appreciate your feedback as always.

@jedi - Thank you for the response. I am aware of the ARES's hotkey issues as well (the issues are far deeper than what you all see though thankfully).

@Choo (again) - I am aware of that bug and am still not 100% sure what causes that. I have actually had it occur in two different circumstances and have not been able to reproduce the results since. Your scenario with Ravens being involved is a third time I've seen the results occur now and at this time I have no idea what is causing it. I do appreciate this post though as it helps me to nail things down.

[Post]: I just wanted to take a moment to respond to everyone to this point. I am still working slowly on the map project when I can. Right now I've hit a point where I've broken the data editor in a way the game would become unplayable (unstable) if I published again. Once I get a lot of the (what I'll define as) "crap" worked out of the map I can actually implement new things. Honestly putting in new heroes or abilities would not be difficult for me in the slightest. The only pain is because the map is so busted if I do one thing I have to fix like ten other things so it makes everything a slow and painful process right now. I try to catch everything before publishing but I do appreciate any feedback and reports posted here so thank you all again.

[Signature]: Find players who are players you can play with and play your way to victory!
    I figured it was too tedious, so I went about and am uploading my notes on the hotkeys (based off of the layout of the 4x5 button list) and random bugs:

- Raynor firing animation
    - Outback Hunter firing animation
    - Ares hotkey w doesn't work

- train reaper hotkey should be v (currently c)
    - marine ace plasma gun hotkey should be w (currently q, same as stim hotkey too)
    interesting note that marine gets psi shield w/ psychic buff (no other unit has this, might want to add icon like ghost/spectre)
    - marauder ace grenade, hotkey w doesn't work
    - reaper clusterbomb hotkey should be q (currently w)
    - all cloak units, cloak a/decloak s (c/d respectively, maybe leave this?)
    - ghost/spectre ace psi shield greyed out w/ ace buff (no hotkey), fixed w/ psychic buff
    - ghost snipe hotkey should be q (currently r), penetrator e (q)
    - spectre mindblast s (q), pulse q (u), lash w (e)
    - medic heal q (e)
    - scv/probe build q (b), drone w (d), repair a (r), quick repair s (t)
    missile turret w (t)

- upgrade neosteel frame hotkey should be c (currently n)
    - upgrade nuclear turbo v (c)
    - goliath/titan ace missile s (e)
    - vulture mine q (e) regen w (r), keeps replenishing mines even if maxed at 3 (maybe copy trigger from carrier?)
    - siege tank siege mode q (e) tank w (d), don't quite remember if siege is typo'ed as seige
    - thor barrage q (c), all out attack w (q)
    - odin barrage w (b), nuke e (n)

- upgrade seeker missile hotkey should be e (currently w)
    - upgrade bio plating x (w)
    - viking assault w (d), fighter q (e)
    - wraith defense drone e (z), typo +1 mvm speed within ace description (currently +!)
    - raven seeker missile a (w), MC q (c)
    - BC/loki yamato q (y), missile w (e), shield e (d)
    - medivac heal q (e)
    - sci vessel repair q (n)

- switch roach position with probe, hotkey should be a (currently d) -> to be consistent with the scv position
    - roach transfuse q (t), slime w (q)
    - upgrade particle disruptor e (z)
    - upgrade shield battery d (no hotkey)

- zealot charge z (c), psi shield w (no hotkey), blink e (q)
    - sentry force field q (f), guardian shield w (z), halluc e (c), ace heal r (v)
    probe q (e), zealot w (q), stalker e (s), immortal r (i)
    templar a (t), archon s (n), void d (v), phoenix f (x)
    warp prism z (r), colossus x (c)
    - templar heal e (v)
    - dark templar blink w (q, or alternatively reorganize button layout)
    - archon blast q (w)

- phoenix/urun gravitron q (g), nitrous w (d), off e (f), sphere s (w), psi shield d (no hotkey)
    - carrier/selendis plasma blast a (w)
    - mohander halluc q (v), recall w (q), spheres e (w)
    - artanis cracker w (c), spheres e (w)

Hope my notes make sense, just msg me if you need clarification.
    Edited by Wings on 8/31/2012 3:39 PM PDT
    The problem of Artanis is his speed, both attack and move.
    As a 1.41 speed, he is the slowest unit of all, and if he is in danger, it is almost impossible to escape, especially when firing planet cracker.
    Artanis's attack speed may not be fixed easily because its animation. His attack is a beam that damage enemy 6(or 7) times. The whole animation process takes more than 1 second. It is ok with 2.21 original attack speed, but if you are fully upgraded, it still need more than 1 second to finish one attack. For exampe, you can change artanis's attack speed to 0.1, then use him to attack some enemies with 1hp and one enemy with lots of hp to see what happen.
    Btw, I found a excel I made several month ago for every units' damage and dps, for balance issue.

dmg bonus speed range attack sup dps dpsbonus
    scv 15 30 0.8 0.1 1 1 18.75
    marine 20 1 5 1 2 20.00
    maruader 28 42 1.5 7 1 2 18.67 28
    firebat 32 48 1.4 2 1 2 22.86 34.29
    reaper 20 30 0.8 5.5 2 2 50 75
    ghost 40 80 1.35 8 1 3 29.62962963 59.25925926
    spectre 50 1.5 7 1 3 33.33333333
    medic 30 1.2 7 1 2 25.00
    goliath-g 25 1 6 1 2 25
    goliath-a 30 2 7 2 2 30
    hellion 30 60 2 5 1 2 15 30
    thor-g 80 1.93 8 2 5 82.90
    thor-a 24 36 3 10 4 5 32 48
    tank 40 60 1.2 7 1 3 33.33
    siege 100 200 3 13 1 3 33.33 66.67
    odin-g 100 2 8 2 20 100
    titan-g 46 1.4 8 2 3 65.71
    titan-a 34 51 2 9 2 3 34 51
    vulture 40 60 1.4 6 1 2 28.57 42.86
    diamondback 40 80 2 6 1 3 20.00
    predator 30 1 1 1 3 30
    viking 32 2 8 2 2 32
    viking-g 28 0.7 7 1 2 40
    wraith-g 32 48 0.8 7 1 3 40 60
    wraith-a 36 54 1.6 8 2 3 45.00 67.5
    banshee-g 48 1.5 7 2 3 64
    banshee-a 32 2 8 2 3 32
    raven 30 1.6 6 2 2 37.5
    s vessel 30 1.6 6 2 2 37.5
    battlecruiser 30 0.23 7 1 6 130.43
    medivac 30 1.6 6 2 2 37.5
    loki 60 0.4 8 1 20 150
    auto-turret 25 0.8 7 1 31.25
    perd turret 80 120 0.8 7 1 100 150
    bunker 40 0.86 6 1 46.51
    turret 50 75 1 8 2 100 150

probe 15 1.5 4 1 1 10
    zealot 30 0.86 0.1 2 2 69.77
    sentry 30 60 1.2 5 1 2 25.00 50.00
    stalker 28 42 1.5 7 1 2 18.67 28
    dark templar 80 1.4 0.1 1 4 57.14
    high templar 30 60 1 9 1 3 30.00 60.00
    archon 100 1.4 5 1 5 71.43
    immortal 40 80 1.5 5 1 3 26.67 53.33
    collosus-g 60 1.8 7 2 4 66.67
    collosus-a 32 48 2.4 10 2 4 26.67 40
    stone zealot-g 40 1.5 6 2 5 53.33
    stone zealot-a 50 1.25 10 1 5 40
    phoenix 30 45 0.8 5 2 2 75.00 112.50
    scout-g 36 1.25 5 1 3 28.8
    scout-a 32 48 1.5 5 2 3 42.67 64
    void ray 30 45 0.8 8 1 4 37.5 56.25
    carrier 40 3 9 16 6 213.33
    urun 40 80 0.8 7 2 10 100 200
    mohandar 40 60 0.6 8 1 10 66.67 100
    selendis 60 3 9 16 10 320.00 0
    artanis 44 2.21 7 6 20 119.46
    cannon 40 60 1.25 11 1 32 48
    energy tower 20 30 1.5 9 8 106.67 160

raynor 48 0.8 7 1 60
    tychus 30 0.45 5 1 66.66666667
    nova 60 90 1.25 10 1 48 72
    tosh 70 0.8 6 1 87.5
    swann 40 60 1 7 1 40 60
    pyromaster 40 60 1.4 4 1 28.57 42.86
    death hand 30 45 0.8 6 2 75.00 112.50
    alan-g 60 1.3 10 1 46.15
    algn-charge 60 1.3 10 1 46.15
    stetmann 50 1.2 7 1 41.67
    ares-all 40 1.2 6 2 66.67
    ares-infan 60 90 1.4 4 1 42.86 64.29
    ares-missle 15 22.5 3.5 8 8 34.29 51.43
    outback hunter 60 120 2 5 1 30.00
    outback-charge 60 120 2 5 1 30.00
    zeratul 100 1.2 0.2 1 83.33
    fenix 60 120 1.8 5 1 33.33 66.67
    karass 50 75 1.8 6 1 27.77777778 41.67
    shadow master 36 54 1.2 8 1 30 45
    zyrkhan 40 1 0.5 2 80
    festor 40 60 2 6 1 20.00 30

infested civ 6 1.2 0.1 1 0.5 5
    summ inf mar 6 0.86 5 1 6.976744186
    inf. Marine 6 0.86 4 1 1 6.98
    inf. Corporal 20 0.86 5 1 2 23.26
    inf. Sergeant 20 0.5 5 1 2 40
    inf. Captain 50 0.8 6 1 5 62.5
    inf. General 100 0.8 7 1 15 125
    giant zombie 30 1 1 1 1 30
    abberation 60 0.86 1.5 1 3 69.76744186
    Fully upgrade part. Hero's aura counted.

dmg bonus range speed dps dpsbonus dps/supply
    scv 90 180 0.1 0.17 516 516
    marine 130 7 0.19 693 347
    maruader 173 259.5 7 0.33 529 793 264
    firebat 157 257.5 4 0.3 514 843 257
    reaper 80 130 6.5 0.17 917 1490 459
    ghost 240 480 10 0.35 815 1630 272
    spectre 300 7 0.39 917 306
    medic 180 7 0.39 688 344
    goliath-g 150 9 0.22 688 344
    goliath-a 155 10 0.44 711 355
    hellion 210 420 5 0.44 482 963 241
    thor-g 480 9 0.42 2281 456
    thor-a 124 186 11 0.65 758 1137 152
    tank 240 360 9 0.26 917 306
    siege 400 800 15 0.65 611 1223 204
    odin-g 500 9 0.44 2293 115
    titan-g 246 10 0.3 1612 537
    titan-a 184 276 12 0.44 844 1266 281
    vulture 260 390 7 0.3 852 1277 426
    diamondback 240 480 7 0.39 611 204
    predator 190 1 0.22 871 290
    viking 132 10 0.44 605 303
    viking-g 128 8 0.22 587 293
    wraith-g 132 198 8 0.17 757 1135 252
    wraith-a 136 204 10 0.35 780 1169 260
    banshee-g 248 8 0.33 1516 505
    banshee-a 132 10 0.44 605 202
    raven 155 6 0.35 888 444
    s vessel 155 6 0.35 888 444
    battlecruiser 190 9 0.05 3788 631
    medivac 155 6 0.35 888 444
    loki 360 8 0.09 4127 206
    auto-turret 75 12 0.17 430
    perd turret 280 420 7 0.17 1605 2408
    bunker 190 12 0.19 1013
    turret 175 262.5 13 0.22 1605 2408

probe 65 4 0.33 199 199
    zealot 145 0.1 0.19 1546 773
    sentry 180 360 9 0.26 688 1376 344
    stalker 198 297 9 0.33 605 908 303
    dark templar 480 540 0.1 0.24 1965 2211 491
    high templar 180 360 9 0.26 825 1651 275
    archon 400 5 0.3 1310 262
    immortal 240 480 7 0.33 734 1467 245
    collosus-g 270 10 0.39 1376 344
    collosus-a 132 198 10 0.65 504 757 126
    stone zealot-g 190 6 0.33 1162 232
    stone zealot-a 200 10 0.27 734 147
    phoenix 90 135 7 0.26 1032 1548 516
    scout-g 146 9 0.27 536 179
    scout-a 132 198 8 0.33 807 1211 269
    void ray 130 195 8 0.17 745 1118 186
    carrier 140 9 3424 571
    urun 190 380 6 0.22 2178 4356 218
    mohandar 240 360 8 0.13 1834 2751 183
    selendis 210 9 5136 0 514
    artanis 194 7 0.48 2415 121
    cannon 190 285 11 0.27 697 1046
    energy tower 70 105 9 0.33 1712 2568

raynor 336 8 0.14 2408
    tychus 210 6 0.09 2675
    nova 420 630 11 0.22 1926 2864
    tosh 490 7 0.17 3511
    swann 280 420 8 0.14 1605 3000
    pyromaster 280 420 5 0.24 1146 1750
    death hand 130 195 7 0.14 1863 2786
    alan-g 420 11 0.23 1852
    algn-charge 504 11 0.23 3704
    stetmann 350 8 0.21 1672
    ares-all 330 7 0.21 3153
    ares-infan 420 630 5 0.17 1720 3706
    ares-missle 130 195 9 0.61 1703 2557
    outback hunter 420 840 5 0.35 1204 2400
    outback-charge 840 1680 5 0.35 2408 4800
    zeratul 600 1.2 0.21 2866
    fenix 420 840 6 0.31 1338 2710
    karass 350 525 7 0.31 1115 1694
    shadow master 272 408 9 0.21 1299 1943
    zyrkhan 280 1.5 0.17 3210
    festor 280 420 9 0.27 803 1556

infested civ 56 0.1 0.27 212 423
    summ inf mar 56 7 0.19 295
    inf. Marine 56 7 0.19 295 295
    inf. Corporal 120 7 0.19 632 316
    inf. Sergeant 120 6 0.11 1088 544
    inf. Captain 250 8 0.18 1417 283
    inf. General 300 9 0.18 1700 113
    giant zombie 180 1 0.22 816 816
    abberation 360 1.5 0.19 1897 632
    Can you make that into a table or something? Can't really make much sense of the numbers without a grid at least.
    i'm getting ridiculous lag today, it was pretty good a few days ago.

Played 4 games today, lag on every single enemy spawn or nydus, and eventually getting a constant 0fps in midgame.
    You're not the only one. Near the end of the game, when there are a lot of units fighting with zerg, and a lot of effects going on, I get 2 fps. This never happened before. Only since the last update that the lag has come on.
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]