Ghost of a chance and Breakout

I am curious, Do you need to complete both on brutal to get Kerrigan's portrait?
Reply Quote
Yes you do.
Reply Quote
damnit. Well thanks, I'll get to that once i finish dinner.

on a side note, all the extra stuff... like tank mercs, ghost and such, will they be available to me when i redo the dig on brutal (ended up doing it on casual because it was getting too !@#$%^- annoying.)
Reply Quote
You would only have the tech/research/mercs/units that you had when you first accepted the mission.

So no tank mercs, or anything else that you got after doing The Dig.
Edited by Necromancer on 8/4/2012 4:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
!@#$, as if i wasn't having enough trouble before...
Reply Quote
Brutal Complete is hard but very rewarding when you finally get it! These are two of the most fun missions IMO.
Reply Quote
Well i did brutal as a bit of a punishment to myself. I beat it with cheat codes, so i decided to really do it on teh hardest setting and not use cheats. There are some missions i have given up on for now but will return to do them before i go to char. That is so far, the dig and Zeratul's second mission. I completed them, but on casual, just to get to the next stage in the game.

Now My question is for research, Mind control zerg or slow em down, Both seems good but i need to know what is more beneficial in the end.
Reply Quote
The Psi Emitter is probably the better of the two, but make sure you do Shatter the Sky as your second-to-last mission if you choose it. Basically for the last level you either want to have mind control versus flyers or slow versus ground units. It's possible to do it the other way but more difficult.
Reply Quote
I choose to have mind control and do the tunnel mission to get rid of ground forces. There are a few good strategies for the last brutal mission.

1. Get mind control and take out the tunnels. Put mind controls all over the outside of your base (the back too). Hotkey them and watch the minimap for broodlords. When you see a broodlord MC and send them to the sides entrances of the artifact. With this you still need to build an army to keep the ground forces out. Marines/medics work well and you can send marines to stim/suicide kerigan before she gets close.

2. Get the slow tech and take out the air. I haven't really used this one but using slow at your base entrances and in various spots in you base seems logical. You'll probably need a fast unit like hellions/banshees to snipe the nydus networks and do the stim/marine trick for kerigan.

3. A secondary ground strategy is to get fully upgraded tanks and stack as many as you can in the front of your base. If you have enough you can use that as a ballistics wall that's difficult for them to get past. I guess slow would work better in this situation. I saw I guy make a video doing this one.
Reply Quote
It's difficult to bet every mission on brutal in one go. It's prudent to take a couple of passes at it to vary the order of the missions - and the research and upgrades available as you play different missions.

THere are strategies for this and require only a little planning and a save file or two to go back to.
Reply Quote
Yea but if you pass the mission on casual you don't get the extra tech. I may in fcat have to do brutal all over again because I am getting no where right now. and the levels I skipped i just could not do with the tech i had at that point in time.
Reply Quote
08/05/2012 11:42 AMPosted by Gashnaw
Yea but if you pass the mission on casual you don't get the extra tech. I may in fcat have to do brutal all over again because I am getting no where right now. and the levels I skipped i just could not do with the tech i had at that point in time.

What levels are you stuck on?
Reply Quote
The dig, (did it on casual to get further in the story) I did Haven's fall casual in hopes that I would get the tech... found I can't so now i have to deal with that, but i discovered something interesting so I may be able to do it in brutal now. And then there are Zeratul mission 2 and 4.

I find the enemy is just to overwhelming on each level. Even in multiplayer i never seem to have to deal with so much.
Reply Quote
With the Dig, here is the best way to go about it.

Set up a bunker on each entrance along with tanks. Make another factory when you can and make sure you keep making SCV's. You want about 4-5 tanks on each side. You can have more if you need to.

Make sure you get about 2-3 workers on each side of the entrance to repair as needed. Pop up about 2 turrets near your tanks to stop air units from killing them.

When you get access to the drill. Hot key it. This is the most important factor with this mission. When you see the map ping, here is the order of units you wanna take out. Colossi, High Templars, Immortals then Archons. Colossi will wreck everything you got, High templars are nasty cuz they take out your workers as they repair your tanks and immortals just shrug off all tank attacks. Archons are not all that dangerous unless your bio units are outside of a bunker.

When more air units arrive, make sure you take out the carriers then the void rays. Always make sure you got bunkers in place with 5 marines a medic.

It is possible to beat the mission without taking the expansion. However, you have to make sure you repair everything and try not to lose units. Otherwise, your money will diminish and you will have no way to defend yourself.
Reply Quote
With the Dig, here is the best way to go about it.

Set up a bunker on each entrance along with tanks. Make another factory when you can and make sure you keep making SCV's. You want about 4-5 tanks on each side. You can have more if you need to.

Make sure you get about 2-3 workers on each side of the entrance to repair as needed. Pop up about 2 turrets near your tanks to stop air units from killing them.

When you get access to the drill. Hot key it. This is the most important factor with this mission. When you see the map ping, here is the order of units you wanna take out. Colossi, High Templars, Immortals then Archons. Colossi will wreck everything you got, High templars are nasty cuz they take out your workers as they repair your tanks and immortals just shrug off all tank attacks. Archons are not all that dangerous unless your bio units are outside of a bunker.

When more air units arrive, make sure you take out the carriers then the void rays. Always make sure you got bunkers in place with 5 marines a medic.

It is possible to beat the mission without taking the expansion. However, you have to make sure you repair everything and try not to lose units. Otherwise, your money will diminish and you will have no way to defend yourself.

I on;t have the extra slot on bunker on this mission, so I can only fit 4 units. So i guess 3 marines and a medic? Do medics even heal in bunkers?
Reply Quote
No, they don't heal in bunkers. Use Marines, swap them out for Merc Marines as you get them.
Your tanks should be the majority of your firepower, so it shouldn't be a big deal that you only have 4 slots.

You can also add in Planetaries if you have the upgrade researched.
Edited by Laconic on 8/5/2012 2:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/05/2012 02:06 PMPosted by Gashnaw
I on;t have the extra slot on bunker on this mission, so I can only fit 4 units. So i guess 3 marines and a medic? Do medics even heal in bunkers?

If you have marines in the bunker with a medic, you can use stim as much as you want. Medics just need to be with the marines. Such as, marines are outside the bunker, so do the medics. If marines are IN the bunker, the medics have to be in the bunker as well.
Reply Quote
well that didn't work (Stupid drill didn't attack when i told it too. I right clicked on units then held shift and clicked on others, it didn't stop attacking the door.)

so i did Haven;s fall instead... I'm surprised, who would have guess that 42 ghosts could not complete the mission?
Reply Quote
When it comes to the drill, you cannot shift click it to attack cuz it's thinking "Okay...When I am done with this door, I will attack the units you want me to" You have to manually make it attack and when the laser starts to attack, then you can shift click it. But you cannot shift click while it's taking down the door.
Reply Quote
i don't think i did, but yea that makes sense. Oh well kerrigan portrait is almost no longer worth it, but i may still go for Mengks portrait.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]