StarCraft® II

MASSIVE fps drop and lag since Arcade patch.

OmegaRed's fix worked for me. I'm back up to where i should be frames wise with no problem.
Reply Quote
I've restored my computer, reinstalled nothing but Starcraft 2, tried multiple different versions of my graphics driver, to no avail. Same issue as everyone else. I used to run the game on low settings with about 150 fps throughout an entire game. Now, every 30 seconds or so, the fps drops to 15-30, and as the game progresses, it literally becomes unplayable. Makes it near impossible to micro.

I've tried other games and they all still run perfectly. My GPU temperature fluctuates from 65-70 degrees Celsius, which is normal for my system. I know the problem is Starcraft 2 because other games run perfectly fine.

My system is a Lenovo Y570 laptop. Intel i7 2.8ghz processor. Nvidia GT 555m video card. 8 gb RAM. Solid state 180gb HDD. Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

The responses we've been getting from Blizzard make me think they have no idea what's going on. They ask questions like "Are other programs running? Are you running in Full Screen or Windowed?" These questions imply that we are morons, which we definitely are not. No, Blizzard, no other programs are running. Yes I'm running in Full Screen, as I know Windowed mode affects the fps. Like I said, this is after a fresh restore with nothing but Starcraft 2 installed. The game used to run perfectly fine, nothing has changed but the game via patches. Please resolve this issue, I miss playing. =(
Reply Quote
blizzard is aware of this and has choosen to ignore us or not address us until they fix it. little do they know we will all have moved on because not playing this game until its fixed knocks us out of the competitive state we were in thus the game is less enjoyable.

thanks again blizzard for ignoring us in all 20 threads made about this problem...
Reply Quote
I have the same problem... it is completely ridiculous that you can pay for a game, that they then break with a patch, and leave that way for months on end.

Starcraft 2 is pretty much unplayable for me at this point, which is sad for a game that utilizes a quarter of my system resources, if that.
Reply Quote
Open your task manager and click view. Then choose CPU History, and select One Graph Per CPU. If all of your graphs have a CPU activity spike while running SC2, then you're probably using more than one core. SC2 is based on 2 core processors. They don't support multithreading for quad or hex cores, "yet." (That's Starcasm not sarcasm). In other words, if your computer is running 2 cores when running SC2, then it's not your computer. It has something to do with the multithreading being sent by their Battle.net servers. It is a Server based problem, not a client based problem.

Battle.net needs to get with the program and offer multithreading for quad cores and up, but that might not necessarily fix the current problems. This is more of a futuristic prespective that they should establish.

Currently they are not sending us enough threads while in game. Maybe they are waiting for us to send them our threads from our computers; therefore, I am sending this one thread in exchange for a patch or a promise from blizzard to increase the amount of threads they send me while in game (more Starcasm).

If they don't fix this then I'll just go into the SC2 Editor which is not supported by Blizzard even though they just updated it (Blizzard's Starcasm). Then, I'll create a trigger that goes like this:

Events - Increase multithreads sent to clients
Conditions - If multithreads are increased do Action 1 otherwise do Action 2
Actions -
Action 1 - Clients play more games and enjoy Starcraft
Action 2 - Clients stop playing Starcraft and Blizzard loses shareholder value

If this was the case, then we would assume they did have their multithreading working originally.

I've used a hex core since day one and had no issues until this patch.

The game is now unplayable.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-890FXA-UD5
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8190MB RAM

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series (Drivers up to date)
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6898)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6898&SUBSYS_0B001002&REV_00
Display Memory: 1775 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2032 MB
Shared Memory: 3838 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Reply Quote
Same issue, try everything found online but nothing helps.
Play less SC2 because of this issue. Not playable at all.
EVGA GTX 460 EE 1GB.
Reply Quote
I did three things that one only does not solve and combination helps alot with the FPS issue

1. Edit C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt
frameratecap=60
frameratecapGlue=30
2. Suggestion from OmegaRed
3. Disable hyperthreading on my i7 930.

Don't know how that works but drop FPS are less at HIGH settings.. Unfortunately, Ultra settings still see FPS drop during end game where they are a lot of units in the game. Start and mid game have no issue with lag.
Reply Quote
The final steps that resolve it all was disable all cores except two. able to play like it was before with fps drops.
Found online:
1. lauch sc.exe
2. open task manager and look for sc*.exe
3. right click and select "affinity"
4. unselect everything except any two cores.

How is it a game maker recommend only two cores max in their games but cannot even set that during game launch? That logic defile reasoning. If you want users to play on two core max, then set the game environment to that. If you cannot code that, then put in code to run on one or many cores. If you cannot do that, hmmm...speachless...must be ID10T issue!
Reply Quote
The final steps that resolve it all was disable all cores except two. able to play like it was before with fps drops.
Found online:
1. lauch sc.exe
2. open task manager and look for sc*.exe
3. right click and select "affinity"
4. unselect everything except any two cores.

How is it a game maker recommend only two cores max in their games but cannot even set that during game launch? That logic defile reasoning. If you want users to play on two core max, then set the game environment to that. If you cannot code that, then put in code to run on one or many cores. If you cannot do that, hmmm...speachless...must be ID10T issue!

did that work with only 2 cores ?? i tghought sc2 was a quad supported game, so ( i got a fx6200) i deleted 2 core, put me up to 4, but i had them still.

so in other words, del 4 cores, meaning sc2 only running on 2 and that will help?
Reply Quote
Same here, had 60 fps stable (w vsync) at ultra settings before now drop down to 15 fps in battles with frame stuttering at medium settings.

The 64 bit fix added 5 fps, lowering all the graphics settings in relation to cpu added another 10 fps.

Operating System: Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
CPU Type: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz
CPU Speed: 2.8 GHz
System Memory: 7.99 GB
Video Card Model: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Video Card Memory: 750 MB
Video Card Driver: aticfx32.dll
Desktop Resolution: 1920x1080
Hard Disk Size: 596.07 GB
Hard Disk Free Space: 150.85 GB (25%)
Download Speed: 1.53 MB/s (12.8 mbps)
Reply Quote
I had the same problem but I am running a 64bit system. To fix it I adjusted my graphics settings first... duh most people realized they got lost during update but then THIS is what fixed my problem:

(Works if you have 64bit system)
Under the file structure(windows 7)
C:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft II\.agent.db
I opened the .agent.db file and changed a line inside there
from
"run64bit" : False
To
"run64bit" : true
^^^^^^^^^^^ That change made the game stop lagging especially while playing the map Cruiser Command where the lag was the WORST.

Hope it helps some of you at least.

You might think I am completly noob in computer setting, but I can't figure out how to open the database file. Please help me with it :)
Reply Quote
mmmm same here i was playing the demo on high and doing realy big game whit no lag and high FPS i decide to buy it and boum i lag like crazy even on Low Graphic -_- i need to 2v2 to have a Free lag game -_- thats boring lol
Reply Quote
nice to see this thread has been running for months and not a single blizzard rep has shown his face to suggest a fix or admit IT'S THEIR OWN DAMN FAULT FOR RUINING THE GAME. Thanks again blizz. you truly do not care about the players. just their money.
Edited by Megamind on 1/20/2013 7:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
This issue has been going on for me aswell since 1.5.
The fixes listed have helped the tiniest bit but still practically unplayable. Maybe when HoTS is out I'll be able to play the game again.
Reply Quote
So, is Blizzard ever going to fix this? Is this still in HotS as well?
Reply Quote
You'd think there would be a blue post in this by now?
Reply Quote
I see that many others are having a problem as well, since this recent patch updating i have been experiencing a delay in all of the maps i play. i send my units to an area, but they dont respond for 1-2 seconds.. i had no problems running on high what so ever, now i have ALL my graphics set to low, parental box is checked so there is less blood, and still its impossible to have fun anymore.. blizzard please fix this!!
Reply Quote
I just check my .agent.db file out of curiosity and I found out that I don't have the run64bit attribute in it ... was this one removed and is only an inactive legacy leftover (I reinstalled SC2 blank because of a new SSD) ?

Plus, yes, it would be interesting to get any response beyond the usual PR communication school 101 nonsense, but I doubt that will happen because companies are really, really scared of admitting mistakes (as long as they cant turn them into something positive in the same line).

So fingers cross, I hope the attribute in the file is replaced by a one-liner code (tho, it's so easy to check if a system is running 64 bit) but at least one my system SC2 is still only using two cores instead of four. Well, that's 100% better than Skyrim.
Edited by MaxiTB on 2/19/2013 11:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
Fail Blizzard. How can you release a patch that makes the game unplayable for so many people? I ran the game perfect on high before and after the 1.5 patch i get like 20fps. Even worse the new patch 20/02/2013 drops the fps down even more. Ridiculous.
Reply Quote
I don't see why Blizzard is giving us tips to fix a problem they made, it is obviously on there side.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]