Considder Your Science Questions Answered

@Necromaster
I don't have faith that tomorrow will be a better day. That has nothing to do with my religion or any religion that I know of. In fact, I believe that tomorrow the world could end. I'm not at all saying that it's likely. But, if the world ended tomorrow, I would be okay with that, as I am prepared to die. Dying is the single most likely/definite thing to happen to someone who is already alive, so why wouldn't I be prepared for it? This does not mean that I see any benefit in dying in all but the most extreme circumstances. There is a nearly endless amount of things that I would be happy to do before I die, never the less, I am prepared for it.
Edit: Although, I do happen to have faith that the day after I die will be a better day. Although, this detail is not as crucial to my general beliefs as is the belief in an afterlife (however good it is).
Edited by Engineer on 5/5/2013 7:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I also have other reasons for my faith, and I'm fully prepared for you to attack them and try to undermine them, because I have realized their lack of definitive proof, and I've contemplated them myself for years.
These are going to be inappropriately brief, because I don't feel like typing that much after my last post.
(1. What I said in the early posts)
2. Humans have mental capabilities (the ability to contemplate the reasons for their own or other creatures' actions outside of them just reacting to outside stimuli) that are distinctively unique from any other creature, and "god" could be said to be this aspect that binds us since we share this aspect.
3. Believing in God has improved my quality of life, I won't go into detail, but I can see benefits to acting in such ways as my beliefs have led me to.
4. There have been millions of others who would agree to #3.

I want to play this game
2. God is a lot of things depending which religion we are talking about, however the way you say it humans are God or God is an aspect of humanity, which is pretty cool in my book since i already worship myself.
3. Believing in God had destroyed my quality of life, I won't go into detail, but I could see detriment to acting in such ways as religious beliefs have led me to.
But in all seriousness give some specific examples seriously walls of text are kind of a thing here to a certain extent, this point would be your weakest except after it you have.
4. Millions of people would agree to having their heads shaved, nuking the muslim world, and that anarchy is the best form of government. Men in Black said it best "a person is smart, people are dumb panic-y animals"
as for point number 1 ill let hyzlologist do his thing, after all I have come to the conclusion that this entire forum is a figment of his imagination, and the Id is not stealing the Egos thunder today. and that slophism or whatever the hell it was is the strongest form of crazy I have ever encountered, thus should never be touched by anyone ever again
Reply Quote
@Necromaster
I don't have faith that tomorrow will be a better day. That has nothing to do with my religion or any religion that I know of. In fact, I believe that tomorrow the world could end. I'm not at all saying that it's likely. But, if the world ended tomorrow, I would be okay with that, as I am prepared to die. Dying is the single most likely/definite thing to happen to someone who is already alive, so why wouldn't I be prepared for it? This does not mean that I see any benefit in dying in all but the most extreme circumstances. There is a nearly endless amount of things that I would be happy to do before I die, never the less, I am prepared for it.
Edit: Although, I do happen to have faith that the day after I die will be a better day. Although, this detail is not as crucial to my general beliefs as is the belief in an afterlife (however good it is).

jokes on you im getting double immortality from a card playing vampire.
I am optimistic about the future of mankind, and myself as an individual. Why are you bringing your religion into this?
Reply Quote
@Necromaster
I am pleased with the organization and manner of your #382 post, but it's too bad that you aren't going to respond to #1. Both of our #3 answers are equally just, and I'm fine with that. In response to your #2 answer: I do believe that god is an aspect of humanity. I believe in a god for no reason other than to affect my behavior as a human, therefore the god I believe in must be a part of humanity, in some way similar to the "conscience" or "holy spirit" concepts.
Edited by Engineer on 5/6/2013 6:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
imaginary things are real in an imaginary sense, making them really imaginary. So much learning today.
If god is simply an aspect of humanity why believe in him, what do you need him for? Why not simply believe in yourself or humanity as a whole? God seems like a middle man here, a figment of your imagination entirely of your own creation, an un-necesary waystation in your understanding of realities . . . rhyming word ending with tion.
God is a part of humanity the same way that star wars is, in that he is much talked about in popular literature and there are lots of official stories and fan fictions about what he does in his spare time.
and as for answering your previous posts hmmm. . .
I am perfectly capable of finding my own purpose and motive for existing, where there is reason and logic in all things, with my own two hands if it comes down to that, laying one logical brick of my personnal universe at a time. However there is no mythical overbeing who has already created purpose and meaning in my life or anyone elses. There is no god for anyone beyond themselves, because everyone expirences reality as themselves chooses their own way of life. God is simply a scapegoat on which to shift blame, among other things.
SO you believe in god in order to better affect entities around you, again that's nice but you don't need god to do this in fact god is obstructing you from being a positive influence on other people if anything. After all anything that comes from god is either trivial or false, assuming that he exists and is actually doing stuff. Because there is no evidence for him and all the logic points towards him either not existing or being a being(my nouns are my verbs, your logic is irrelevant) unworthy of respect who never does anything. What is all together more likely (really definite more than simply likely) is that everything you attribute to coming from God came from yourself or another human being. And its time for IHOP.
Edited by Necromaster on 5/6/2013 7:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I tried to explain before that my reason behind believing in God comes from thinking about extremes regarding the universe, contemplating the possibilities of my entity entering a part of the universe that we have never seen anything like and that has nothing to do with what we've seen, or you might just call it another universe. God is like the shield and foundation of the my reasoning if one day everything I thought I knew really turned out to be wrong. The idea of God is not based upon contemplating the everyday world, it's based upon contemplating your existence while trying to forget everything you think you know, in an attempt to establish a foundation for yourself (your thoughts) that can be equally effective in even the most extreme of circumstances, sort of giving your mind something to land on if everything falls apart. This post just now has been difficult for me to do justice, I feel more confident about the writing of my first post than with this.
Edited by Engineer on 5/6/2013 4:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/06/2013 07:50 AMPosted by Necromaster
imaginary things are real in an imaginary sense, making them really imaginary.

You can not just say such a thing. Be scientific. Something is not true until proven so. Something imaginary may be real or it may not, but either way it must be proven so. Relativity was imagined by Einstein, and it seems that it is true. Hundreds of other scientific theories of how the universe works have been imagined, and they were false. Most imaginary things are imagined with specific aspects regarding everyday life, and therefore can be proven to not exist because the specified ways in which they would affect the world are proven otherwise. It's impossible to prove that a god does not exist given no other details because the god could be said to simply watch over the entire universe, and could be said to have incomprehensible control over the universe, in such a way that he could make all the evidence you try to find seem that it is natural and inconclusive. But, if an imaginary figure is said to do anything specific regarding our daily world, then it can be proven to not exist.
Edited by Engineer on 5/6/2013 5:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I would say the details of what god is, is up to the individual, but the purpose of the having the concept in your head is to characterize what is beyond what you know. For example, saying god is good is equivalent to saying that your hopeful that most of what you cannot yet know will turn out to be good.
Edit: Another major use of a god concept is to characterize extreme aspects of humans. For example, in my religion god is the characterization of an unrealistically mentally (spiritually) ideal person, and since the definition of a mentally (spiritually) ideal person varies from person to person, the definition of god within my religion also varies from person to person.
Edited by Engineer on 5/6/2013 5:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i think you're conflating god with something, im not sure what cause im stuffed with 7 tacos right now but what you refer to as god is not what the layman understands god to be.

i was babbling nonsense, i tend to do that when i start and finish typing. Gotta let the crazy out, otherwise i might just snap. Imaginary things are only real in the sense that because they are ideas they really exist in the mind, that would be a better way of putting what i said. In fact much of what i say is a grain of truth wrapped in metaphor and my own attempts to be artistic and creative. Thats why I do my best to KISS. I fail pretty badly more often than not.

Your religion is not a religion and it is more of a personal spiritual belief. And what does a belief system (religion) have to do with faith anyway? Other than, you know, the obvious connections that aren't important to human nature. ( or lack thereof)
Edited by Necromaster on 5/10/2013 6:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/06/2013 05:18 PMPosted by Engineer
I would say the details of what god is, is up to the individual, but the purpose of the having the concept in your head is to characterize what is beyond what you know.

That's just ridiculous. If it's beyond your knowledge, then it's beyond your knowledge. Applying descriptions, especially anthroporphised descriptions, is irrational.
"I don't know" is the only honest answer to things which are beyond what you know, not "magic man."
Reply Quote
Well you guys are smart that's all I can say.Makes me feel stupied.
Reply Quote
Well you guys are smart that's all I can say.Makes me feel stupied.

which part is the smart part, and how much of the thread have you read?
cause i would say your probably just as smart and capable your just probably dis-interested/ overwhelmed by the quantity of content
Also we need more third party comments in here, so don't leave this cyberspace
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]