StarCraft® II

Considder Your Science Questions Answered

Don't come back till you seen the worm hole you are not qualified!
Reply Quote
I got a serious question. I hope the trolls has not taken over this thread yet.
Relativity topic.
When traveling around earth. I ask my buddy to time me. Lets say I'm the flash and I have the power of speed. I run... lets say 500 mph around the earth. after my trip, my buddy's stop shows ~25 hours?
I then decide to run faster... this time 1000 mph, my buddy's timer shows ~10 hours about?
Now, I will run at the speed of light, my buddy's timer will show 1 million hours?

Why does this make sense? If im running as speed of light, my buddy's timer should be showing 1 second or less since it is much faster than 500 and 1000 mph. I think speed of light is about 6 billion mph? I'm not much of a science guy, so im just guessing the numbers.

edit: i know that the timer that i would be carrying would be 1 sec or less, but my buddy's timer dont make sense to me.

Time Dilation. The faster you move, the slower time gets for you.

If both you and your friend both had watches, and you ran around the earth at extreme speeds, time will slow down for you, and your watches will no longer be in sync. This is unnoticable at normal speeds.

The other thing that causes time dilation is gravity. This is why black holes have crazy timewarp fields where time practically stops.

This is my last post.
Reply Quote
Hey if god doesn't exist then how does god exist?

Christians: 1
NRA: .75
Ninjas: 7^2
Reply Quote
Derive the natural frequency expression for a uniform cantilever beam.
Reply Quote
Create an equation to describe the ratio of the redness of a leprechauns beard and the amount of gold in his pot.
Reply Quote
I was enjoying the fun imaginative mind of a young man, when a man named rootkit started being a total !@#$%^. I hope you realize that it is people like you who ruin this world, not kids like Eugenetwo.
Reply Quote
Root, why you getting so pent up? The guy's not even trolling, just trying to entertain himself for a bit.

Chill out man, and then get off your podium.
Reply Quote
I got a serious question. I hope the trolls has not taken over this thread yet.
Relativity topic.
When traveling around earth. I ask my buddy to time me. Lets say I'm the flash and I have the power of speed. I run... lets say 500 mph around the earth. after my trip, my buddy's stop shows ~25 hours?
I then decide to run faster... this time 1000 mph, my buddy's timer shows ~10 hours about?
Now, I will run at the speed of light, my buddy's timer will show 1 million hours?

Why does this make sense? If im running as speed of light, my buddy's timer should be showing 1 second or less since it is much faster than 500 and 1000 mph. I think speed of light is about 6 billion mph? I'm not much of a science guy, so im just guessing the numbers.

edit: i know that the timer that i would be carrying would be 1 sec or less, but my buddy's timer dont make sense to me.

Time Dilation. The faster you move, the slower time gets for you.

If both you and your friend both had watches, and you ran around the earth at extreme speeds, time will slow down for you, and your watches will no longer be in sync. This is unnoticable at normal speeds.

The other thing that causes time dilation is gravity. This is why black holes have crazy timewarp fields where time practically stops.

This is my last post.

Thanks for your answer. I know u said this is your last post, if there are anyone reading the thread and dont mind answering this question:

I like to take the same idea further.
Lets look at things from my timer now.
I am now traveling from point A to point B.
I travel at a normal speed and it takes me 5 seconds from A to B.
I then go faster and it now takes me 1 second from A to B.
Lets say i could go even faster and make it to 0 second somehow. Is this teleporting?
Lets go even faster now -1 sec? and even more fast -5 hours? or maybe -10 years?
I guess my main question is what happens for the 0 second? What is that speed? negative time --> time travel?
Since going sooo very fast travels back in time. It is kinda strange to think that speed of light time travels to the future.

I am having trouble expressing my question and my thoughts organized, sorry. I hope you guys can understand haha. Just something I have wondered about for a very long time.
Reply Quote
Thanks for your answer. I know u said this is your last post, if there are anyone reading the thread and dont mind answering this question:

I like to take the same idea further.
Lets look at things from my timer now.
I am now traveling from point A to point B.
I travel at a normal speed and it takes me 5 seconds from A to B.
I then go faster and it now takes me 1 second from A to B.
Lets say i could go even faster and make it to 0 second somehow. Is this teleporting?
Lets go even faster now -1 sec? and even more fast -5 hours? or maybe -10 years?
I guess my main question is what happens for the 0 second? What is that speed? negative time --> time travel?
Since going sooo very fast travels back in time. It is kinda strange to think that speed of light time travels to the future.

I am having trouble expressing my question and my thoughts organized, sorry. I hope you guys can understand haha. Just something I have wondered about for a very long time.

Rule of thumb: The faster you move, the slower time seems to move for you.

So the closer you get to the speed of light, the slower time moves for you. But you can never realistically reach the speed of light (At which point you are basically pure energy), so you can never have time stop for you -- just move infinitely slower. So instead of saying you travel from point A to point B...

Instead say you move an exact amount of time, determined by your watch. Say you have your good ol' friend Joe time you as well --
The faster you move, the further you will go in the same amount of time. The faster you go, the more time it will seem to take for you to stop for Joe (So say you move for only a second -- near the speed of light, it would seem like a second for you but months, years, or decades for Joe).

So the faster you move, the longer it takes for Joe to clock you going the same distance than it is for you to clock yourself going that distance.

At lower speeds (Basically anything not in the millions of KM/s) this is hard to notice.

Sorry if I made any mistakes or hard-to-understand analogies -- I've been up way, way too long.

So, to recap:
1) You can't realistically stop time, only make it slower. If you ever do travel at the speed of light, time will seem to basically stop for you, even though time is still moving "everywhere else".
2) You can't move backwards in time -- at least, not with any current theories. There are ways it may be possible using wormholes, but there has yet to be any evidence that stable wormholes exist (Or even unstable ones).
3) While you seem to be traveling slower in time, time continues normally for everyone else.
Edited by Metherlance on 8/6/2012 8:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I think I get at what you're thinking, you're wondering if you can increase the Time Dilation to the effect of travelling sooo fast (waaay faster than the speed of light) that is possible to emphasize the Time Dilation to the point where it is actually possible to travel back in time?

Well I'm not too sure, it might have something to do with the idea that 0 is a marker on an integer (number) line and not an actual number, but is used to express the "balance point" of things.

If we examine the Space-Time continuum as an integer line as I described above, it is fathomable that current "existence" (where we are, right now) can be expressed as 0 and travelling ahead in time would be +1 and travelling back in time would be -1 we could observe that it might be impossible to accomplish this because of the dividing a number by two problem - no matter how many times you divide, you'll never reach zero. So it could be that no matter how fast your velocity, it is impossible to travel back in time, only just slowed to the point that it become basically impossible to detect the passage of time.

Just an idea, i'm not a Scientist, but that's my 2 cents on the problem.

Ohhh drat, Metherlance beat me to it: It's currently impossible to reach the speed of light, and therefore impossible to use Time Dilation to travel back in time.

Well, if anything (And this is just my opinion):
If you were to be capable of traveling faster than the speed of light, I doubt it would actually make you travel back in time -- at best, it would make your own body travel back in time (Thus making you younger). As traveling near the speed of light doesn't change time for anyone else, I highly doubt you can do so using faster-than-light travel.

As an interesting side-note, there are theories of being able to time travel using wormholes, but until wormholes are proven to exist, this is just speculation. Edit: Oh, I said that in my last post. This is what I meant about staying up too long.
Edited by Metherlance on 8/6/2012 8:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Root, you sound like every hardcore liberal I have ever been blessed to meet.. Not pleasant and self-righteous. But often times that is the result of reading text on a forum page and not talking in person..

MAYBE you can help him learn rather than slap him around next time. The way you approached it wasn't exactly pleasant or helpful. (though I will say you did lay the smack down.. hahahaha I just feel bad for the kid. He was obviously just trying to help and learn at the same time. He is a kid. If you ever have one, you will understand.)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]