StarCraft® II

How To: Build Orders.

I'ma start doing a few how to threads to help out with the newer and maybe even experienced players. I'll do one every day I am able till I feel like theres enough advice out there. I'm going to start with build orders because I think it is the most important thing.

First, don't get distracted when doing a build order. When you scout, or have an enemy harvester attacking your building SCV you can get distracted, keep focused on your supply and when you need to be making your buildings.

Second, practice. The best way to get a build order down is to practice, even against easy AI. The point isn't to beat the AI but to practice the build.

1 racks FE:
Build difficulty: Moderate/High

This is a build meant to give the terran an economic advantage. The basics is 10 supply 12 racks 15/16 orbital and then CC at 400 minerals, then immediately throw down 3 more racks while producing marines. Bunker up your expansion and you will take a big economic lead, from there you can do what is needed to beat your opponent.

This build will struggle against early pressure but is great for extended games.

3 Racks:
Difficulty: Low/Moderate

10 depot, 12 racks, 13 refinery, 15/16 OC, 15/16 supply depot, 17/18 racks, 19 refinery, 19/20 racks. This is a standard 3 racks build. This is the most standard bread and butter build, it is good against all 3 races (although sieges do eat up bio balls) and can be used both for attack and defense. This lends itself well to an expo into 5 racks and a reactor starport for medivac support.

This build will struggle against siege walls or quick tech cloak or something of the sort but is very effective for an early push and a standard game.

5 racks reapers:
Difficulty: High

10 depot, 12 racks, 13 refinery, 15/16 OC, 15/16 refinery, 17 depot, two more racks asap with tech labs, then two more after that. This is a great pressure build/early game map control build against zerg. I stress ONLY against zerg. The problem with this build is it is very micro/macro intensive.

This build will struggle against terran and protoss, stalkers and marauders eat up reapers for a delicious snack.

Mech:
Difficulty: Moderate

10 depot, 12 racks, 13 refinery, 15/16 OC, 15/16 depot, 17 refinery, 17 factory, 19/20 factory. This build is good against zerg and terran. It is meant to get sieges out for land/map control. It puts you in a good position to expand and then support with whatever units you desire.

This build WILL struggle against air, thors (with the magic box) are not effective against mutas as much as they used to be. It is also one of the slowest pushes you can have, as you must siege hop your units across the map.

1-1-1:
Difficulty: Moderate

10 depot, 12 racks, 13 refinery, 15/16 OC, 15/16 depot, 17 refinery, 17 factory, 18/19 starport. This build gives the terran a very fast tech advantage and the ability to quickly adapt at the cost of early game units. From here you can do basically whatever you want. Want to go air? Go for it, mech? Sure, bio ball, well have at it.

As previously stated, this will put you behind early in the military count, if he is rushing your cheesing you you will have problems, you can however adapt extremely quickly to what your opponent does with this build.

Bio/Mech:
Difficulty: Moderate/High

10 depot, 12 racks, 13 refinery, 15/16 OC, 15/16 depot, 17 factory, 18/19 refinery 18/19 racks. This build lends itself well against toss/terran. The basics are to be able to pump marines/marauders and siege tanks. This build is actually very good but the problem is unit composition, if you mess up or don't support it with ghosts/ravens then you're in trouble as you aren't taking a strong stance with either marauders or sieges due to your lack of production facilities. That being said, this build is very capable when played correctly.

Problems: Zerg eat up marines (which this build has a lot of as your primary anti-air) with banelings and especially infestors. This build is also a little slow out of the gate.

Anyways... these builds are nowhere set in stone, the supply count isn't solid all the time but it is around where you want to be building these things. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I hope this is helpful to many of you out there.

EDIT: Terms used in this thread.

10 depot: When you see the numbers this is basically the food count when you build the building. So a 10 depot means you have your 10th scv producing when you start making your supply depot.

Rax/Racks: Barracks.
FE: Fast Expand Build
OC: Orbital Command
Depot: Supply Depot.
Edited by Beammeup on 9/5/2010 11:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
bumpity bumpity
Reply Quote
Why not just send em somewhere like ForceSC's youtube channel.
Reply Quote
I don't know who force is... ? So what you're saying is don't put the terran strategems in the terran discussion thread? Oh ok...
Reply Quote
Thanks for the post. It should help out some terran players.

I personally find the 1 rax FE build awesome against teching up and turtling players, usually not against zerg though. The 111 build (or destiny-cloud-fist build as Husky calls it) works really well against protoss.
Reply Quote
I'm having problems transitioning to a build that counters a protoss player going mass void rays/ carriers. If I scout it early I can try to pump out marines medivac and vikings, would thors help out versus voids as well? Which build above do you think would be the most flexible versus void rays?
Reply Quote
1 rax FE will handle voids nicely since it is a no gas build up until you get your expo running. If you having problems with mass void marines with stim/shield and vikings handle them easily. You can basically micro your vikings back and never take damage.
Reply Quote
I've decided that I like this thread. I don't have much experience as far as online SC II goes. This will make the game much more exciting.
Reply Quote
If you like the thread keep bumping it, if you got any questions feel free to ask. I am going to do more of these if people like it enough and it's helpful.
Reply Quote
This should help a lot of newer/medium skilled players, good job I liked it.

However at more advanced levels its more about perfecting your builds (timing, placement, flow, etc) than knowing the order.
Reply Quote
Preaching to the choir about that. But this isn't for those of us that know this stuff.
Reply Quote
As a new player trying and studying my way into the game, I thank you for the quick and concise breakdown. Also for new players like me I would recommend checking out starcraftarena and the various sites with casted replays. As you can see a lot of these builds in action. It's helped me a bunch.
Reply Quote
Sticky this thread. It's good stuff.
Reply Quote
Been lookin for one of these, thanks op.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
Thanks for putting in the effort OP, and keep them coming. Also, if you make any more threads like this, please link them in your OP because I've bookmarked this thread.

I read one or two real good ones earlier as well, and it's a shame they aren't stickied or indexed and linked in a thread that's been stickied.
Reply Quote
I prefer to get a depot by 8 supply, then racks right after and usually at 14 i have a second depot to finish wall and then go from there. Is this harmful to my economy in the long run?
Reply Quote
I prefer to get a depot by 8 supply, then racks right after and usually at 14 i have a second depot to finish wall and then go from there. Is this harmful to my economy in the long run?

It will since your delaying your SCVs by a lot.
Reply Quote
well is it good if I know that im going to be rushed? Being able to get the wall up and some marines as fast as possible...
Reply Quote
well is it good if I know that im going to be rushed? Being able to get the wall up and some marines as fast as possible...

Ofcourse like if they 6 pooled or a 6 gate (idk the correct form of Toss chease) If you stop it you'll be way ahead
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]