StarCraft® II

How To: Attacking.

(Sticky)

If you like this thread please leave a comment, thumbs me up, and feel free to visit my other guides. If you have any questions or concerns please ask.

How To: Macro.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/628074288
How To: Micro.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/628074091
How To: Scouting.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/627974129
How To: Build Orders.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/627973877?page=1
How To: Harassment.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/628254273
How To: Map Control.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/628234992
How To: Unit Composition.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/627975425

Alright, what I have been talking about so far are basics, these things will likely (if refined) get you into gold+. Now lets talk about getting into platinum. What we're going to be talking about today is core. In every attack there needs to be a goal. You need to think of why you're attacking, most of the time it's obvious... "I want to kill my opponent" thats great! When you're ready to end the game do that, until that time you need to be thinking about these things. This is going to be very in-depth and it's applicable outside of just terran. Let's get started.

Timing Attack

Alrighty, first lets explain, a timing attack is an attack that lines up well with an upgrade or something similar. So you're sitting there with your MMM force and you're thinking of attacking, if combat shield is done in 30 seconds WAIT until it finishes and now you've got a TIMING ATTACK ooh sparkly. This is so basic and yet people will tend to ignore this altogether. If you're ready to attack and an upgrade is almost finished, or that thor is about to come out, just wait a second. It gives you small advantages throughout the game and if you claim enough small advantages you can put yourself in a position to win.

Out of Position

My opponent's army is in his third expansion, I have 6 medvacs and a large mass of marine/marauder. What do I do? Drop in his main. This is an attack that takes advantage of your opponent's positioning. Kill a few structures and run away, you save your army from any serious damage and you can decimate a few key structures in seconds with 8 stimmed marauders.

Distraction

Next, we have the distraction attack. I've got 6 marines loaded into a medivac and I'm going to drop them in my opponents base. This is going to pull his forces into that place. Now I may commence with my main attack against his unprotected expo and for the cheap cost of 400 minerals and 100 gas. As previously discussed, being out of position will kill you.

Multi-Pronged Attacks

The main way to pull this off with terran is dropships. Starting to see a few repetitions? Drop 4 marauders in one expansion, 8 marines in another, and move your army to his main. He can't respond to all three and you will only need to micro one (probably).

Feinged Attack

This is a big one, in fact if you learn oneattack, this needs to be it. Basically, this is an attack that lets you put pressure on your opponent so you can expand. Remember how I said you need to have a purpose with your attacks. This is to take an expansion with little risk to said expansion. How often are you getting attacked and the first thing that pops into your mind is "My opponent is EXPANDING RIGHT NOW! I gotta kill it!" No, you are thinking, "I just need to survive this." The point isn't to destroy your enemy, but to pressure him into not even thinking about your expansion.

Do not over commit, just don't. In any situation that you're attacking and you begin to lose pull some or all of your forces back. If you have to sacrifice some marines and save the marauders. This is such a mistake that so many of you newer players make. Every single mineral counts, if you can salvage anything please please do so.

In all things, have a purpose. Don't just do something to do it. Don't say "Well this guy said this build is really good, and I trust him." Why is the build good? What does it do well? What does it struggle with? Is it adaptable? Thinking on the fly in SC2 is the most important thing you can do. The reason 300 apmers lose to guys with sub 100's is because the 100 guy is thinking more abstractly about the game. Many of you know who TLO is, he is really good because he thinks outside the box, he has a purpose for what he is doing.

Finally, I want to leave you with this. The most important thing about attacking is to put pressure on your opponent. If your opponent is pressured he will make mistakes. Pressure gives you the ability to take map control, it gives you the ability to scout effectively, it gives you the ability to expand. Pressure will help you feel safer and force him into a corner. Pressure wins games.

This is Beammeup, signing out.
Edited by Traysent on 4/21/2011 9:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Another great read. A lot of things that seem easy to do but really aren't. If I were you I'd put up a blog or something so that you can put things up all in one space and not worry about it getting lost in the mess that is these forums.
Reply Quote
how to attack as Terran

1: group up all troops in one control group

2: A move into their base, if using siege tanks, stop just outside, go siege mode, wait.

You really need a 10 page thesis on how to do this?
Edited by BygameHunter on 9/4/2010 4:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
how to attack as Terran

1: group up all troops in one control group

2: A move into their base, if using siege tanks, stop just outside, go siege mode, wait.

I'M ORIGINAL
Reply Quote
I give you mad props for making diamond with zerg, it's something I couldn't do. Please go away though... I am trying to contribute to the community, not tear it down. What is the purpose of your post and how does that help anyone?
Reply Quote
ooooo Gotcha **@*#!
Reply Quote
Thump
Reply Quote
You should honestly just compile these into a HOW TO: Terran (The Basics) and get them stickied instead of the current format, just my $.02
Reply Quote
That would mean I need to have the time to be able to do that in one sitting. I don't. I will finish it when I finish it.
Reply Quote
My favorite tactics usually involve the multiple fronts/multi-pronged attack. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on that subject :)
Reply Quote
Excellent post beammeup! You have covered every aspect of attacking I could think of.

I just gotta say, The SHIFT-Que system makes pushing with seige tanks amazing.

My personal favorite is waiting for my opponent to make the first move. I scout constantly, this way I know what build/unit composition they are going for; then I prepare. At this point the opponent goes with 1 of 3 options. An offensive push, Teching, or a fast expand. If i suspect teching or a fast expand I will start my harrass. MMM + Seige tanks is my personal favorite, with vikings for medivac support. If he is going for an offensive it pays off huge to know its comming early.

Reply Quote
Hey can you do something about attack positioning? For instance in TvT, two marine/tank/medivac/marauder armies are dancing around, when should you engage? How can you lure them into attacking you on the high ground? etc...

edit: nvm I saw you have a post on micro. Although it would be nice to go a little more in depth on that subject.
Edited by Machiavelli on 9/5/2010 2:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Attack positioning with 2 terran's sieged up. Medivac drop. You can pull him out of position and do damage at the same time. Or you can force him to attack you and decimate a non sieged army. Either way you win.
Reply Quote
you forgot about one of my FAVORITE things, nuking their supply. it is amazing how ppl will actually put all of their supply depots together, one good nuke, and gg. it also kinda works on toss, not as well tho. Also it works decently well on zerg if they are not paying attention that is.....but yea great against terran. This is only a late game strat tho......
Reply Quote
you forgot about one of my FAVORITE things, nuking their supply. it is amazing how ppl will actually put all of their supply depots together, one good nuke, and gg. it also kinda works on toss, not as well tho. Also it works decently well on zerg if they are not paying attention that is.....but yea great against terran. This is only a late game strat tho......

Look at my harassment thread

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/628254273
Reply Quote
oh, my bad lol. should read before talking lol.
Reply Quote
Riight, give out strats to terrans as they aren't oped enough as is.
Reply Quote
he's just giving general strats it just happens he's using terrans as an example why you guys giving him @#*#?

you can just as easily use a Warp Prism and warp in a few units to distract instead of using a dropship or use some mutas.

these are very basic things anyway....once u understand these you are only beginning to learn how to actually play the game...
Reply Quote
How to: Terran

A-click
E
T

I think my guild goes more indepth than all of yours combined :3
Reply Quote
Bookmarking.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]