StarCraft® II

How To: Macro.

If you like this thread please thumbs up it and bump it. Also I have many more guides these are all there to help you improve your game and have great insight, both for the experienced and inexperienced.

How To: Micro
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/628074091
How To: Scouting
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/627974129
How To: Build Orders
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/627973877?page=1

Alright Macro, lets define it first. Macro is the way in which you handle your money. Everything from keeping your production up to expanding at the right time has everything to do with macro.

Lets start off with production. The optimal situation for macro is this, that you are receiving enough income to keep production in all your buildings constantly queued at one and have no excess of money. For instance, a terran can comfortably pump off of 2 tech lab and 1 reactor rax per mining, fully saturated base. Furthermore they can pump off of a second reactor rax but you will be staggering production.

The key is to always have one unit producing without having to queue up additional units. Basically if you've got 3 marines queued into a barracks you are wasting 100 minerals you could be spending elsewhere.

Another important thing to do is to keep making SCV's, you want to keep making SCV's so that when you expand you can saturate quickly, thus allowing you to throw out more production.

When on the attack continue to produce, this is very important. In higher stress situations many players let their macro slip, the outcome of a game greatly depends on if you can continue to produce when attacking and being attacked. Many games are lost due to this fact alone.

Another important issue is when to expand. If you're newer to the game and don't feel comfortable expanding keep this in mind. When your opponent expands is a good time for you to do the same. If you're doing a gas intensive build and your minerals are beginning to pile up, it's a good time to expand. When you're making an attack or you when a battle it is a good time to expand. When you have map control it is a good time to expand.

All these are opportune times to expand, as you play longer you will get the flow of the game and learn when to expand and when not to. Eventually you will become comfortable and do it without thinking about it.

The final key to macro is supply. Even the best get supply blocked, but the more you minimize this the better your chances of winning are. This to, has an important effect on a game. Sometimes if it just slips your mind, supply drop is very powerful. Just remember to just keep tabs on this and minimize your supply blocking and you'll come-out ahead more often then not.

If you like this post please feel free to thumbs up me and post to keep the thread bumped. If you have any other questions, comments, concerns feel free to ask and I will answer to the best of my ability.

This is Beammeup, signing out.
Reply Quote
boop de doop
Reply Quote
Should mention how many production buildings a player should have as the game progresses, or at least good benchmarks. I.E. a single base can support 4 raxes that are constantly producing, or 2 raxes 1 fact 1 starport; 2 expansions can support blah, etc. One cannot have four expansions and just live off of 3 raxes for the rest of the game ;)
Edited by deeshoo on 8/30/2010 9:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I actually did mention that a 1 base terran can produce off of 3 rax's comfortably and 4 rax's with staggered production.

Other then that you basically just covered it. You can basically do 2 rax's (1 tech 1 reactor), 1 factory and 1 starport per fully saturated mining base. The problem with factories/starports is their higher gas cost units.
Reply Quote
Last bump, hope the newer people get a look at this.
Reply Quote
thanks, useful guide!
Reply Quote
This is very helpful, to be honest I like this:

The key is to always have one unit producing without having to queue up additional units. Basically if you've got 3 marines queued into a barracks you are wasting 100 minerals you could be spending elsewhere.

There are times when I pump 2 or more marines in one rax, and yes that is 50+ minerals I could be using on something else. I'll have to keep that in mind next time.
Edited by IronMan on 8/30/2010 10:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree with IronMan. I get into the bad habit of queuing up too many units and wasting resources due to laziness rather than relying on hotkeys and attentiveness to my macro. Thanks for the tip.
Reply Quote
Thank you all for the kind comments. I will be continuing to pump out threads so please keep searching for them for more helpful tips.
Reply Quote
quit giving away our secrets - we don't want people getting better! Nah, good stuff. Basic, but stuff a lot of people don't always pay attention to
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
I know queuing is a big no no in the early game, and I've gotten to the point where I never queue.... except in the late game, where I may have a surplus of resources and 1 or more expansions. I've watched the pro replays, and it seems they also don't mind queuing in the late game.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the series!
Reply Quote
Thanks for the good info
Reply Quote
I know queuing is a big no no in the early game, and I've gotten to the point where I never queue.... except in the late game, where I may have a surplus of resources and 1 or more expansions. I've watched the pro replays, and it seems they also don't mind queuing in the late game.

Because in the late game you'll be floating on 1k or more minerals and gas.
Reply Quote
3 miners for gas, 2 miners for mineral patches should have a minimum of 22 miners. 16 on all the main mineral patches and 6 on the 2 gas
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
Bookmarking... Thanks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]