StarCraft® II

How To: Four Steps to Diamond

Flagged as misleading. This describes how to get good at starcraft 2. I just wanted to get into diamond.
Reply Quote
Number 5

Play Terran

mirite!??!?!?!
Reply Quote
Im gonna give you guys a guide on how to fly by flapping my arms... i cant actually do this myself... but im sure you guys can.
Reply Quote
This noob appreciates your work here. Im at the point where I can hotkey my builds, but need a lot of work on control groups. Thanks again.
Reply Quote
Amazing write up orb A+!
Reply Quote
Also if you don't know who orb is, you tube him or look him up on TL, the guy is a legend. He lays out the fundamentals of any rts in a clear easy to understand fashion.
Reply Quote
I came to this thread expecting to see

1. Choose Multi Player in battle.net 2.0
2. Select Terran as your 1v1 Race.
3. Enter game.
4. ???
5. Profit

I was disappointed
Reply Quote
Nice guide for lower division players like myself. I've been using control groups since the first time I played the original (okay, the compilation with brood war, whatever) back ... I don't remember when, but a while back. I was never into multiplayer, however, and never saw the need for a build order or hotkey use (did SCI even have hotkeys? It's been too long).
I suppose I should probably do a few custom games versus the AI to get the hang of the hotkeys for all three races. Shoutout to all the random players!
Reply Quote
It's nice to see both positive and negative replays to my thread! If my thread was able to assist you then awesome and I'm glad I helped you as that is truly my only intention.

To the trolls I honestly am not upset by your comments, if I didn't have thick skin then I wouldn't be posting up information in the first place.

this guide was never intended to be an everything guide on how to macro, micro and work on your build orders. rather the intention of this thread was nearly to emphasis their importance and give a clear path for a new player to logically begin learning these skills. there are a ton of great posts and videos on almost every aspect of the game. there is literally so much to learn when you are a new player who hasn't played many RTS games and while all the information is there and you have skilled players telling you what to learn and how to go about it, what I find lacking is a proper order in which to learn the skills. this is the heart of what my post attempted to address.

EDIT: Sorry for the typos as this iPad keyboard blows and it's far too late for me to really care aboutnfixing it all up. I'm sure the majority of it is comrhensable.

I find that it's not all about what you learn as it is how and when you learn it that makes this game either enjoyable or frustrating to the new player.

to those of you criticizing my league for whatever reason as as a sort of justification to dismiss what I have provided here without actually reading the content or understanding the true meaning and intended audience, I have this to say,

visit my YouTube page:
http://www.YouTube.com/user/TheThinkingGamer

As you can see the majority of my star craft 2 time has been consumed with the creation of a brutal campaign video walkthrough and many other videos. in combination with my job working for the us army I simply do not have the time to participate in ladder play at this time. I enjoy helping people and have placed the completion of my walkthrough at a higher priority because I have forever to play ladder but people need help now on brutal.

A few of you pointed out how I could possibly have the time to write this guide if I didn't have time to play ladder games. Well the problem with this logic is it assumes too much. in wrote this guide on my iPad while on a three hour flight to Florida (I'm on vacation). I figured my flight time would be better served by writing up a guide that might actually help someone. I.m boarding a ship tomorrow and won't be heard of for the next week at which point I will work on finishing my brutal video guide. after that I will effortlessly make diamond once my priories are finished.
Edited by Orb on 9/3/2010 11:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I would agree that league standing doesn't perfectly correlate with game knowledge as you seem to have shown, but I have to ask, if you believe you are above your league in ability, why haven't you moved up yet? What do you think is keeping you from diamond? I think 80 ish games is enough to establish a decent sample size. I moved up from bronze to diamond in probably about that many games.

I am not trying to be condescending, I'm just curious.
Edited by Crojar on 9/4/2010 12:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would agree that league standing doesn't perfectly correlate with game knowledge as you seem to have shown, but I have to ask, if you believe you are above your league in ability, why haven't you moved up yet? What do you think is keeping you from diamond? I think 80 ish games is enough to establish a decent sample size. I moved up from bronze to diamond in probably about that many games.

I am not trying to be condescending, I'm just curious.

I guess the answer to your question really boils down to I'm still not sure what race I want to play.I have played Terran the most but only by a small margin with random and Zerg coming in for 2nd and 3rd place.

I really don't like Terran but I'm strong with them ATM simply because I now more of their build orders. I really want to wrap my teeth around Zerg but just don't have then time to commit to learning their builds just yet.
Reply Quote
I came to this thread expecting to see

1. Choose Multi Player in battle.net 2.0
2. Select Terran as your 1v1 Race.
3. Enter game.
4. ???
5. Profit

I was disappointed

exact same here, but he said 4 steps, so skip step 1 and just say:

1. enter starcraft and pick terran
2. start a 1v1 match
3. ????
4. profit/ get to diamond. :D
Reply Quote
This is great stuff. thanks!
Reply Quote
I appreciate all the members of this community that are actually out to try and help other players improve their game.

Thanks for the write-up Orb.
Reply Quote
Flagged as misleading. This describes how to get good at starcraft 2. I just wanted to get into diamond.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]