StarCraft® II

SC2 Ladder Misconceptions FAQ

(Sticky)

BUMP because this post deserves to stay on the first page.

OP: What happens in my situation, where I win all of the games I play versus people in my league and after a few win streaks it forces me to play diamond 1-10 and they demolish me. Then the cycle starts over again..
Reply Quote
blew my mind, thanks.
Reply Quote
Thanks a lot for doing this, it was really helpful.
Reply Quote
I was 20-12 (lost to stupid rushes a lot early on) still in plat even after constantly beating diamond. I know that doesn't sound like a lot of games to most, but I don't play more than a few games per day. I kept hearing that you can't be promoted unless you lose games first. I figured I might as well try that, nothing to lose right? I lost 2-3 games and then won against an "equal" opponent and sure enough was promoted to diamond. Uh??
Reply Quote
do custom games effect the ladder match making?
Reply Quote
do custom games effect the ladder match making?

No
Reply Quote
Excellent thread. Deserving of an unrepentant bump.
Reply Quote
Which one is my stats my 2v2 with quacky as my partner or 2v2 by myself?
Reply Quote
Thank you for this post this is great information!
Reply Quote
Which one is my stats my 2v2 with quacky as my partner or 2v2 by myself?

They're independent of each other.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
I just can not understand why, in 2v2 (bronze), we play Plat people! It is not like we are winning and should be promoted we are LOSING!!! and they still put us up against Plat-Diamond people. WTF!
Reply Quote
Q: How do I increase my bonus pool? Do I have to not play?
A: Your bonus pool increases at the same rate regardless of whether or not you're playing. The rate of gain is about 1 point per 2 hours.
Q: Is the bonus pool considered in any calculations? How can that be accurate if it constantly inflates ratings?
A: Because everyone has access to the same total amount of bonus pool, it's unlikely that it is included in any matchmaking calculations.

If everyone has access to the same amount of bonus pool, what is it for then? the way i see it i can stop playing for let's say a month and go down to rank 90 in my division since everyone else kept playing, i'll have let's say 800 Bonus pool points but yet the 1st one on the division will have at least twice and more than my bonus since all the time he has been playing he still gets the same points as i do.

The way i see it since I'll have more bonus pool I can go up ranks faster yet I can't actually get an advantage of it since he got the same bonus pool but just used it before me plus the rating points he got while he didn't have bonus pool he always going to have a higher rating... so basically i go on vacation and I loose my chances to be on top of the ladder. So far I don't see a point in the bonus pool other than just making the numbers bigger... but in that case you can always go back to beta style where everyone started with 1000 rating.
Reply Quote
Very informative, thanks
Reply Quote
AHOY! Marvelous article mi A'rty!

On a serious note. Does your campaign progress or achievements factor at all into this mysterious MMR?
Reply Quote
Yo the bonus pool for my 1v1 right now is 631
Reply Quote
- StarCraft
Q: How do I increase my bonus pool? Do I have to not play?
A: Your bonus pool increases at the same rate regardless of whether or not you're playing. The rate of gain is about 1 point per 2 hours.
Q: Is the bonus pool considered in any calculations? How can that be accurate if it constantly inflates ratings?
A: Because everyone has access to the same total amount of bonus pool, it's unlikely that it is included in any matchmaking calculations.

If everyone has access to the same amount of bonus pool, what is it for then? the way i see it i can stop playing for let's say a month and go down to rank 90 in my division since everyone else kept playing, i'll have let's say 800 Bonus pool points but yet the 1st one on the division will have at least twice and more than my bonus since all the time he has been playing he still gets the same points as i do.

The way i see it since I'll have more bonus pool I can go up ranks faster yet I can't actually get an advantage of it since he got the same bonus pool but just used it before me plus the rating points he got while he didn't have bonus pool he always going to have a higher rating... so basically i go on vacation and I loose my chances to be on top of the ladder. So far I don't see a point in the bonus pool other than just making the numbers bigger... but in that case you can always go back to beta style where everyone started with 1000 rating.

It serves to separate the idle players from the active players. However, the idle players are given a chance to come back. An active mediocre player who consumes all of his bonus pool may rise above an idle pro, but when the pro returns he'll reestablish himself as king of his division. The bonus pool also serves to act as a psychological incentive to play the game, in contrast to War3's chore-like XP decay.

I don't think the system pushes you towards a 50/50 win/loss ratio It's simply a byproduct of matching you with players of equivalent MMR.

That's correct, and I apologize if that was misinterpreted, possibly poor language choice on my part. It might be better to say that the design goal of the system is a 50% win ratio for all players. I don't want to misconstrue that as you will play against a Diamond player for every Bronze player you beat.

Do you know if there is a cap for the bonus pool? I recall it is capped at 200 pts for idle players, though I don't know if this applies to newly formed teams/players.

Blizzard has said that there will be a cap, but that the cap is large. So far, nobody has reached it yet (and it's what, around 660 right now?). The cap may also be antiquated information. It's certainly not 200.

On a serious note. Does your campaign progress or achievements factor at all into this mysterious MMR?

Absolutely not. Only your league wins/losses and the hidden MMRs and sigmas of your opponents influence your MMR.
Edited by ExcaliburZ on 9/9/2010 7:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well written and well explained. Good job sir. Bump for sticky
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]