StarCraft® II

SC2 Ladder Misconceptions FAQ

(Sticky)

But I win all the time and get no points and dont level up at all! Why is this?
Reply Quote
Question: How long does it usually take for BattleNet to match you up with higher level players. I've been on a 8 game winning streak now and i'm still slightly favored in relation to my opponents.
Reply Quote
Q: What does Favored/Slightly Favored/Teams Even mean on the loading screen?
A: Favored status compares your opponent's hidden MMR with your displayed rating. If his MMR and your displayed rating are similar, it will show Teams Even and the match will be worth 10-14 points. If his MMR is slightly higher than your displayed rating, it will show your opponent as Slightly Favored and the match will be worth 15-17 points for a win (7-9 for a loss). If his MMR is significantly higher than your displayed rating, it will show your opponent as Favored and the match will be worth 18-24 points (1-6 for a loss).

Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but this information is not entirely true. I'm not certain of the full points distribution but 6 points falls under the 'slightly favored' description in the game.

Logically speaking it would make more sense for the levels to all be 5 point variations each, rather than 5,4,6. So that leaves me uncertain about the status of +/-19/5 as either favored or slightly favored. Not really a big deal though.

Also of interest is your exclusion of a 0 point possibility. I have not come across this but it should exist, as otherwise a highly favored matchup will result in either -23/+1 or -24/+1 for the favored player. In other words that would make the potential positive point outcomes 24,23,22,21,20,19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,1. That just seems odd.
Reply Quote
This interests me also, (although I'm not sure it's the same 'points'). I'm a low level newbie bronze who is currently getting +0 points for the large majority of my wins. Therefore 0 point difference is not just a possibility but a certainty. I obviously can't lose 24 points cos I can't win them in the first place. This makes the ones where I finally gain +2 and then lose them to the very next loss even more frustrating.....
Edited by WottFox on 1/21/2011 5:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Q: What does Favored/Slightly Favored/Teams Even mean on the loading screen?

A: Favored status compares your opponent's hidden MMR with your displayed rating. If his MMR and your displayed rating are similar, it will show Teams Even and the match will be worth 10-14 points. If his MMR is slightly higher than your displayed rating, it will show your opponent as Slightly Favored and the match will be worth 15-17 points for a win (7-9 for a loss). If his MMR is significantly higher than your displayed rating, it will show your opponent as Favored and the match will be worth 18-24 points (1-6 for a loss).

Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but this information is not entirely true. I'm not certain of the full points distribution but 6 points falls under the 'slightly favored' description in the game.

Logically speaking it would make more sense for the levels to all be 5 point variations each, rather than 5,4,6. So that leaves me uncertain about the status of +/-19/5 as either favored or slightly favored. Not really a big deal though.

Also of interest is your exclusion of a 0 point possibility. I have not come across this but it should exist, as otherwise a highly favored matchup will result in either -23/+1 or -24/+1 for the favored player. In other words that would make the potential positive point outcomes 24,23,22,21,20,19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,1. That just seems odd.

It's important to clarify here that what you see on the loading screen applies only to you and not your opponent. So, to reiterate: point earnings and losses are not zero sum. As for 0-point wins and losses, they have appeared in player match histories, but it's unclear whether they are bugs. I also may have misremembered the Favored/Slightly/Even breakpoints (the Favored range may be 4 points rather than 6, now that you mention it).
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
This interests me also, (although I'm not sure it's the same 'points'). I'm a low level newbie bronze who is currently getting +0 points for most of my wins. Therefore 0 point difference is not just a possibility but a certainty. This makes the ones where I finally gain +2 and then lose them to the very next loss even more frustrating.....

I do cover this question in the original post. It's called "Q: I'm in Bronze with 0 rating and a poor win ratio. I'm only getting 2 or 4 or 6 points -- including bonus pool -- for a win, but losing 22 points for a loss! Why is this happening, and how will I possibly get above 0 rating as long as this is happening to me?" It's either possible that your MMR is so far below zero that you are earning 0 points for a win (though your MMR will still increase), or that it's a bug... or both!
Reply Quote
(so you seem to be saying that my +0 wins could well be a recurring bug? Well that makes me feel sooooooo much better >_> )

I did read the original post, but there's no mention of +0 wins and up until now no suggestion they were possible, so just giving my own experience that they very much are.

If I"m spending all my time working on a stat I can't see, then I agree with other posters about how it being hidden sucks to be honest. There must be a way of reporting your progress that is a bit more grass-roots user friendly.
Edited by WottFox on 1/21/2011 5:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
01/21/2011 5:24 PMPosted by WottFox
so you seem to be saying that my +0 wins could well be a recurring bug? Well that makes me feel sooooooo much better >_> Would it be worth me contacting blizzsupport then?

The Bug Report forum does have several threads open on the topic, I'm just saying it's a possibility. However, because you say that your +0 point games are interspersed with +2 point games, that leads me to believe that your MMR is just that low.
Reply Quote
yeh, it probably is :s
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
01/21/2011 5:31 PMPosted by WottFox

Don't get me wrong, it's still a bug as acknowledged by Blizzard (in that it's not a desirable user experience, not to mention confusing) and is slated for a fix. I have no data on the schedule for that fix, however.
Reply Quote
Thank you.
Reply Quote
01/21/2011 5:33 PMPosted by ExcaliburZ

Don't get me wrong, it's still a bug as acknowledged by Blizzard (in that it's not a desirable user experience, not to mention confusing) and is slated for a fix. I have no data on the schedule for that fix, however.

I don't think it is a true bug in the sense that it is not something without an obvious direct cause. In other words the way the system was set up invariably there were going to be +0 point wins and 0 point players. The system is working just fine, its just that blizzard is probably surprised by the number of players this happens to and ultimately they are worried about those players experience with the game. There was obviously some concern about this at some point as they implemented the 0 point threshold (rather than allowing negative points).

Also in reference to your reply to me up a few posts from last month regarding points not being zero sum. This is correct in that points are not zero sum across the league, or all players or even among the players in the match. This however does not point out that a players points are 0 sum at the point where their points are equal to their MMR.
Reply Quote
Has anyone addressed the issue of rank matching?

I've recently noticed that all my match ups are against people in the top 5 in their league. Most of the games, however, have been marked as even matches. I'm a really low rank (like in the 60s), but does this mean that my MMR is quite high for my rank, or what?

In addition, when I play 2s, I look at my opponents after the match and realize that they are a random pair. My partner is someone I know. How is this match up fair? There's a clear advantage for an arranged team vs. a random team.
Edited by iluvtofu on 2/13/2011 7:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
People in the top 5 of their divisions are generally people that play more (the sorting of divisions by points generally is a list of who has played the most games) and thus you are more likely to be matched up with them. You don't have nearly as many games played as they probably do so that is why there is a points difference. Given the same number of games played your points will end up being similar.

As for RT vs AT the match making system gives a sort of matchmaking handicap to random teams. Generally speaking the random players will be about one league higher in ranking than the arranged team. So like two diamond randoms vs a platinum AT will be considered teams even. I think the difference may be different across 2v2 to 4v4. In the last patch there was a note about improving the matchmaking in 3v3/4v4 to account for 2 or 3 people queuing up together as a random team, which I read as giving an additional handicap in these situations as well.
Reply Quote
What is the point of the ladder as why as arandom do i keep facing pre-mades?
Reply Quote
Well i have gone on an 11 game win streak and went nowhere. But i was always favored against most of my opponents, is that the cause of not going up a league?
Reply Quote
Is there only one MMR for each account or is there a separate MMR for each 2v2 team, 3v3 team, 1v1 etc?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
When you first start a new team or game type, your MMR from other brackets is used as a starting point. From there, they're separate.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]