SC2 Ladder Misconceptions FAQ

(Sticky)

MVP - StarCraft
02/20/2011 12:43 PMPosted by SirHenry
Well i have gone on an 11 game win streak and went nowhere. But i was always favored against most of my opponents, is that the cause of not going up a league?

Yes, you're actually close to the bottom of Bronze (see the Bronze Zero question in the FAQ) so you'll need to win quite a bit more. You'll know you're close when you start being matched against Silver-quality players (players in Silver, or players who face Silver players regularly).
Reply Quote
thnx for reply.
Reply Quote
You actually didn't address the case of the division tiers-- if you consistently win you will wait to be promoted into a better division tier. For example you can promote to diamond from plat with a 18-9 record, but if you go 22-0 undefeated you'll stay in plat and not get promoted until 30-0 or so.

This is a case for only very high level players that just started a new account and may wonder why after going 25-0 is not in diamond yet. This applies to 1v1 thru 4v4. May possibly want to add to the faq if you like.

(However, this may or may not be the case for diamond -> master's promotion)

Also: I'm very sure your MMR in teams does not affect your 1v1 MMR. MMR is shared across 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4, but 1v1 and teams are separate. So being diamond in 3v3 will not pair you with diamond players in 1v1 placement.
Edited by isospeedrix on 2/24/2011 3:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
How do you move up in league in random when your perpetually going against pre-mades???

RT vs AT = not only FAVORED but seriously UNFAIR
Reply Quote
I have to make a comment about the way that players still win after they leave the match in multiplayer games. This function has made the leagues unbalanced. Good players stay in the game and stick it out for the win or lose, while bad players leave the game at the first sign of trouble. Then when better players actually win the games the worse players get a win even though they had nothing to do with the victory, in fact they are often off dumping another games somewhere else, and hey if it comes out a win then thats good for them too.
Reply Quote
Alright, I'm slightly confused here. I seem to be running into some weird issues.

I haven't played 1v1 in ages, so understandable I've found myself jumping back in at a very low Bronze ranking. Understandable, so my complaint isn't that.

What seems to be happening is that every match I play, it says the opposing player is favored. So I play, I win, and when all is said and done it finally says that _I_ was favored instead. So I get two points maximum for the match.

I can go through about six games in a row, winning all of them against favored opponents who are then less favored at the end of the match. Hypothetically that's about 12 points.

Then comes a match that I play and lose. And I lose all 12 points. So I'm back to square one.

What's the deal with that? It's slightly irritating. And most importantly, why do favored opponents end up being unfavored at the end of the match?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Alright, I'm slightly confused here. I seem to be running into some weird issues.

I haven't played 1v1 in ages, so understandable I've found myself jumping back in at a very low Bronze ranking. Understandable, so my complaint isn't that.

What seems to be happening is that every match I play, it says the opposing player is favored. So I play, I win, and when all is said and done it finally says that _I_ was favored instead. So I get two points maximum for the match.

I can go through about six games in a row, winning all of them against favored opponents who are then less favored at the end of the match. Hypothetically that's about 12 points.

Then comes a match that I play and lose. And I lose all 12 points. So I'm back to square one.

What's the deal with that? It's slightly irritating. And most importantly, why do favored opponents end up being unfavored at the end of the match?

Your situation is explained in the original post as the Bronze Zero phenomenon. As to why the score screen and loading screen disagree for you, that is a fringe bug that Blizzard doesn't have accurate steps to reproduce. All that is known is that it's more likely to happen for players affected by the Bronze Zero issue.
Reply Quote
So let's say I am silver and win 12 games in a row against evenly matched and favored opponents. Will I get promoted after I lose a few games and my MMR stabilizes?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
03/15/2011 1:33 PMPosted by mbunghole
So let's say I am silver and win 12 games in a row against evenly matched and favored opponents. Will I get promoted after I lose a few games and my MMR stabilizes?

Moving average lags behind, so it's not necessary to lose games. Players used to do that intentionally because a degree of stabilization was required, but there were back-end changes over the past few months that promote players more aggressively than before.
Reply Quote
So does your MMR from your team leagues affect who you'll be matched with in placement matches? I'm hesitant to get placed in 1v1 if its just going to put me against bronzes, then place me in silver. I'm rank 1 in my 2v2 team, consistently beating golds and platinums, and i have no idea if/when its going to move me up to the league i belong in. The thing that really bugs me is that blizzard doesn't even bother to explain how the system really works, so for all i know it'll be a month or two before it decides to move me up. I love starcraft, but its matchmaking system pisses me off like no other game ever has
Reply Quote
Sooooo outta all this i kind of understand the ladder rankings a little bit more so thank you to all who posted questions and responses huge help. Sadly enough as far as mmr and the way the ranking is cant really decide a factor between all that makes me think its legit or its completely one of those off the walled situations that only the creators and testers would know. either way the main pnt in my eyes is to hold ur ground n dont suck...ur always going to win and lose...its about how many more u win rather than lose got a partner now that we are pretty much even matched on win losses...but yes weve had our win streaks too...still in bronze hate it but meh just working harder to hopefuly change it... outta curiosity though and take this is a comment for updating or how ever you wish but i cant find an area where i can view other leauges beyond just the ones im entered in....Id like to see what kind of points and stats other higher players and lower players are at so i can kind of get a little more understanding of this mmr n all that bs...i think if they added sum system like that then we wouldnt need bookooz of thread replys jus to answer a few questions XD just wanna c the world standings!!!!!!
Reply Quote
Nvm, just got promoted 2 leagues in one day. My criticisms are respectively withdrawn :D
Reply Quote
still havnt to this day and my 2v2 team is pretty much on a 2:1 gameplay atm been stomping lots of diamond n gold n silver but still were stuck in bronze leauge
Reply Quote
The players who are in bronze and silver and gold, shouldn't they have the right to know how much MMR they have so they can get out. Its only fair seeing how you now stopped letting us see our Win/Lost ratio which made no sense. It seems like Blizzard has made it harder for anyone to keep track of a MMR idea. If they allow it in WoW they should allow it in Starcraft 2. Hiding it or showing it will not change the person's idea on the game but rather to know if they need to improve more. Or get rid of the idea and make a all for one high score which divides everything evenly.

Another words
Grand master 1-200
Masters 201-5000
Dimaond 5000-25,000
Ect ect. This will get rid of the idea of the whole When am I moving out. If anyone from Blizzard can write back that be awesome. But the system I'm suggesting is the same thing that Cartoon network Orbit did. It may be a cheesy idea to go off of them but the system worked and was actually enjoyable. Many console games show Nation wide High score with no problem. Suggestions for me to get out of bronze would be helpful.
Edited by FrOsTx on 3/30/2011 5:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
(How) can I view season 1 stats?
Edited by Aaddjik on 3/31/2011 7:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have a question. Me and friend were placed in silver league team 2v2. We played like 8 or 9 games and won every single one. How is it possible that a team who has won less games than us has more points and is higher up on the ladder?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
04/01/2011 08:00 PMPosted by Thomas
I have a question. Me and friend were placed in silver league team 2v2. We played like 8 or 9 games and won every single one. How is it possible that a team who has won less games than us has more points and is higher up on the ladder?

Because you get different amounts of points depending on the quality of players. Either those teams played better players and earned more points per game, or they were promoted (or demoted) which reset their points to 73 + spent bonus pool which gave them a boost in points.
Reply Quote
I have a complate about the system, i am a rank 84 but keep playing ranks 20, 1 ,5 ,7 ,.etc.
As this caue me to fall trough the ranks , i am not a bad payer but these higher ranks just destroye me.

Can you fix this for bronze and lower divisons.

p.s my gammar is not that good
Reply Quote
It is my opinion but it would be interesting that you consider the total number of overall winning players in the Match Making? Let me explain, simple example of life. If I am a class A car driver and I run 4000 hours with my Class A license, then it is final I'm more experienced a pilot who accumulated 500 hours of its Class A license . So it is definitive that the pilot with 4000 hours will have the lead in the race. In Starcraft 2 is even a little worse than that, sometimes a Class B driver with 500 hours of experience competed against a driver Class A with 1000 hours experience more. All that to say I find it unfortunate to have to compete against masters players in 4v4 who earned more than 1500 total wins overall and I'm only a 4v4 diamond player with a total of 200 victories overall. I could write you all the stats of players from my last 4v4 game, but I can tell you who had nothing fair in this game and I was considered Favored in the loading screen...of course this game was my promotion for the 4v4 Master League but "mostly" impossible to win.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french Canadian.

-Gilles
Reply Quote
Ok something is really broken with the system and i'm gettin tired of this....

I just played a random 2v2 and got a diamond ally like me, against a MATER LEAGUE AT, and you know what is funny in this bs? After losing it (obviously) it said "you were slighlty favored" and I lost 16 points. What the hell???
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]