StarCraft® II

SC2 Ladder Misconceptions FAQ

(Sticky)

Hello ?! can I have an answer please, even if it's no your wrong blah blah blah...

I will appreciate, thanks!

#159....?!
Edited by webzyx on 5/2/2011 1:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
can you answering my #159 question (suggestion) please?
Edited by webzyx on 5/2/2011 1:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/05/2010 10:26 AMPosted by ExcaliburZ
MMR = ?

Match win ratio or something?

Matchmaking rating. It's a hidden value that better estimates your true skill level and varies more than your displayed rating.

How exactly is it calculated? What is its range of values? Etc. Etc.? Hm?

Sounds like a fudge factor that Blizz added in to simplify things but unfortunately ends up setting up lopsided matches left and right.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Thanks for the write-up, great read. Only question I have is in regards to:

Q: If I've never played 1v1, but I'm 2v2 Diamond, who will I face in 1v1 Placements?
A: Your performance in other brackets is considered when initially seeding your placement matches. In this case, you'd likely be paired with a Diamond player to start.

Can players then juke the system by purposely losing team games, to get paired with weaker players in 1v1? Or can they purposely lose 2v2, and 4v4 so they can have easier 3v3?

To some extent, but MMR is pretty volatile starting out so it wouldn't necessarily be any more effective than just bombing a few games early on.
Reply Quote
It's been my experience that it takes quite a few games to trigger a rank promo - if you're playing beyond the skill level of your league at least 20+ - so just play play play!
Reply Quote
The fact we have to have 19,000 threads and posts about this matching system proves it doesn't work, and I am a perfect example of it. Probably about silver skill, but sitting in plat 3v3s and diamond 4's. Lost 22 in a row still there. My roomate and I played our placement match today (we were silver in season 1) against a plat/diamond duo and LOST. And got put into Plat. It is quite regualar I get rolled by a silver every now and then next game I will pwn a Diamond.

This system doesn't take into account and realize that almost 50% of the entire SC2 players ranked play maybe once a week or never again after the first month after realease. Just do a bell shaped curve system or a true rank in the world ranking. So in other words if I'm the 40,000th best player in the world it would look for 39,999 first, then 40,001 second and so on. MMR's, bonus pooling, etc just a bunch of garbage. Yes I have read the system and understand it. They are trying to make this as complicated as the U.S. tax code for something that is nothing more than "who's the best players." And no you won't sell me on the system but thanks for trying.

There is no doubt that the difference in skill level from bronze to silver is huge just like the top 200 vs. the rest of the world.

And I'm sorry Bnet you had to delete my other post when I said the system smells like a "No longer living, Lady of the Night's intestine exit."

Still love the game (even with the Thor AA outranging Broodlords)
Reply Quote
Why am I still in 2v2 silver when the last 15+ games have been vs plat, diamond, and 1-2 golds that are the top ranks? We have only lost a couple and we even beat a diamond team with one guy in 2v2 masters. This is just broken. promote us to something higher then gold please, or stop matching us unfairly because our score is too high for silver (why would we still be in silver if that's the case?)
Edited by JsnHgns on 5/17/2011 6:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Diamond, Master, Diamond....vs. Gold (me) Silver, Silver. THANKS BNET YOU ARE SO GOOD AT THIS! :)
Reply Quote
So my friend and I have been playing 2v2 and have won the last 10/13 games. And for some reason in the last 13 games it isnt showing the points we should be getting and loosing for the past 2 days? I understand this was an issue about a week ago or so? So why is this still happening? And is our MMR still going up regardless of the points not appearing? As for my last question are the points you see in game related in any way to your MMR which can not be seen? Or is it just to show where you place in the ladder? At the rate my friend and i are playing in 2v2 we should be in Diamond league not Platinum because we have been playing against nothing but Diamond and master league players and we just keep winning. Thanks for your time if you answer all of these questions ^_^.
Reply Quote
lol, MMR is so confusing. I played 18 4v4 games today, and won 6. Yet somehow I climbed 30 positions in my platinum league, where I really only seem to be able to beat gold players. I'm in plat, but think I belong in gold. Somehow, the MMR keeps putting me up against players who are way out of my league and are much better than me. I get that it's supposed to challenge me, but this is a bit much, no?
Reply Quote
The answer to all of these completely logical and reasonable questions is simple = THEY SUCK AT MAKING A MATCHING SYSTEM AND WON'T ADMIT IT.

Today's proof -
So in 1v1s I'm GOLD and have lost 6 out of 7 to COPPERS who have 80+ wins and they are obviously much better than me. Why are they copper or why am I gold? Why do we even have any other arguements about this system. So the excuse about "play enough matches and it will equal out" is fail. Plus why do you even have a league system if it has nothing to do with anything? Whole system was invented when 2 retards had a child, threw it down a flight of stairs and told him to write a matching system. So do I belong in copper? Fine with me I could give two squirts about it as long as I'm 50/50 which I'm not (yet I remember reading that somewhere that was the goal of the system). Don't let them fool you, that's why they took away the loses category cause they knew they couldn't make the system work for all the players that in the middle skillwise on the ladder.

You're freaking Blizzard not Redneck Community College Software Inc.
Reply Quote
So i just started playing starcraft 2 a few days ago and never played the original... needless to say i was not very good to start but somehow managed to get put in gold 1v1... i went 4-20 and didnt not get demoted... however now im getting better and have had a 15 game win streak with some other lengthy ones against golds and havent got promoted or even faced higher ranks... i dont get it
Reply Quote
this thread was really helpful and i see why i haven't been promoted yet in my league

thank u so much excailburz(dont know if i spelled your name right_

and im just gonna try to win as many games as possible
Reply Quote
Ah and yet again! Silver in 2v2s last season...I play my 2v2 placement match against SILVER opponents and LOSE!....and guess what, now I'm in PLAT. Of course it makes perfect sense now!
Reply Quote
Okay, I have a question...I never really was a big fan of 1v1s until this season, i did my placement match and got placed into bronze league...a few games later i figured out exactly what i wanted to do (shouldve done it to start with) for each game...and since then my record is 35-10, with a couple of losses before that for when i didnt know what to do, and was just winging it. I have though i would get bumped up, but for the last 12-15 matches in a row i have been slightly favored. How am i supposed to get promoted if I never play someone who according to MMR is better than me? And do you have idea why this is happening?

Edit: Oh and I am also sitting around 4th thru 6th in my division, normally i lose one match, move down a spot or two, then win a bunch and go back up. So i dont think its b/c my MMR is negative.
Edited by NightNDay on 8/27/2011 10:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I agreee that THEY SUCK AT MAKING A MATCHING SYSTEM

I just lost a 3v3. It was matched 'equally'

But it was a gold and 2 silver vs 2 silver and an unrated. (he had 1 game)

Guess who lost.

Reply Quote
Bump. That's

The fact we have to have 19,000 threads and posts about this matching system proves it doesn't work, and I am a perfect example of it. Probably about silver skill, but sitting in plat 3v3s and diamond 4's. Lost 22 in a row still there. My roomate and I played our placement match today (we were silver in season 1) against a plat/diamond duo and LOST. And got put into Plat. It is quite regualar I get rolled by a silver every now and then next game I will pwn a Diamond.

This system doesn't take into account and realize that almost 50% of the entire SC2 players ranked play maybe once a week or never again after the first month after realease. Just do a bell shaped curve system or a true rank in the world ranking. So in other words if I'm the 40,000th best player in the world it would look for 39,999 first, then 40,001 second and so on. MMR's, bonus pooling, etc just a bunch of garbage. Yes I have read the system and understand it. They are trying to make this as complicated as the U.S. tax code for something that is nothing more than "who's the best players." And no you won't sell me on the system but thanks for trying.

There is no doubt that the difference in skill level from bronze to silver is huge just like the top 200 vs. the rest of the world.

And I'm sorry Bnet you had to delete my other post when I said the system smells like a "No longer living, Lady of the Night's intestine exit."

Still love the game (even with the Thor AA outranging Broodlords)

Bump, that's weird because for me it's the oppsite. I've been sitting at #1 gold in 2v2, I frequently play platinum players (including my random partner) and I frequently outscore them all. So what does this hidden skill rating detect actually? It's really freaking annoying. I win 75-80% of my games with my rank now, I do well in my games statistically, I'm like 150 pts ahead of #2 in gold, and I still don't get promoted to the platinum league. They need to fix the system cause it stinks. I want to play people on my level not below me, so I can improve. But for some reason, although I feel very successful where I'm at, the game doesn't acknowledge it.

Another thing is, you get these noobs, fresh out of placement matches that get placed into a much higher league than they deserve probably on pure luck. I think 5 is too low of a number. Any random crappy or average player could fall into a high league just with a bit of luck. There needs to be a good 10 placement matches to it's more accurate in placing the player.
Edited by Wrath on 9/29/2011 8:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There are lots of people who are ether using bots or play 5-7k games every season. Their points still stay in 1500-1700 range(my division is an example). Does it make sense to mass games in terms of increasing MMR and getting promotion, or should we focus on win ratio rather points?
What is the best way for players to approximate their MMR? points*winRation*Division(1 for bronze, 2 for silver etc) or there is a better way?
Reply Quote
The answer to all of these completely logical and reasonable questions is simple = THEY SUCK AT MAKING A MATCHING SYSTEM AND WON'T ADMIT IT. Today's proof - So in 1v1s I'm GOLD and have lost 6 out of 7 to COPPERS who have 80+ wins and they are obviously much better than me. Why are they copper or why am I gold?

Ok- here's something that might help you. I was silver and playing 4s with a gold and a bronze already on my team pre que. We go in and this guy says merry christmas for the win and his whole team leaves. They are 3Diamonds and a Master.

I think sometimes the really pwneriffic people lose a few on purpose in order to really jack some people and have fun with people they know they can utterly destroy and make them feel like crap.

Another reason could be the person you were playing was a lower level player who just got a map hack and is now trying to grow an epeen since they're lacking some real man junk in real life. Those people should go suck start a shotgun.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]