StarCraft® II

Phantom Mode

I just finished playing my first Blind game, after pushing and pushing people to vote for it.

Now I understand why shared vision is so important. By the time anyone wanted to attack anybody, we were watching a slideshow. There was way too much creep all over the map because of creep tumors, everybody had max supply of units, and a beeeeeeeeellion towers/turrets/sporestuffs.

My mind has been changed: vision is an integral part of this map.

However, I DO think that Quick Start should be enabled by default. It's not that quick of a start, but it does help mask the phantom--if the phantom isn't trying to pretend by following a build order, anyway.
Reply Quote
Fun game. And the phantoms actually won in my first game. Of course, this is because we had a newb paladin that assumed anyone half decent was the phantom. In the process to kill one phantom, he took out 2 slayers AND the other paladin. Then he simply got rolled by the remaining phantom and it was game.
Reply Quote
Add a checkbox for not to be a Phantom please. I prefer fighting evils to tricking people. lol
Reply Quote
DISPLAY PLAYER COLORS on the alliance menu pls. I find it very hard to change alliance in the heat of battle because the menu does not show player colors. The 3 seconds it takes me to find out their name could be the difference of life and death.
Reply Quote
Can you clarify the win conditions for a phantom?

In the Good vs Evil mode, do the two phantoms have an allied victory condition (where both phantoms win if they kill all slayers and paladins), or can only 1 phantom win?
Reply Quote
DISPLAY PLAYER COLORS on the alliance menu pls. I find it very hard to change alliance in the heat of battle because the menu does not show player colors. The 3 seconds it takes me to find out their name could be the difference of life and death.

This feature was already in place when you posted this...

Can you clarify the win conditions for a phantom?

Victory conditions work like this.
If (Number of players in Phantoms <= 0)
Victory for all Slayers and Paladins

If (Number of players in Slayers and Paladins <= 0)
Victory for all Phantoms

When a player is "defeated" as in they have no structures or workers left, they are no longer a Slayer/Paladin/Phantom, but a dead player. So they do not win no matter the outcome.
So yes, both Phantoms can win, they do not have to kill each other.
Reply Quote
Aaaahh... I guess I should stop backstabbing my fellow phantoms when the game reveals them to me.
Reply Quote
Aaaahh... I guess I should stop backstabbing my fellow phantoms when the game reveals them to me.

Umm.. do you lack common sense and reason?

Any way i like Phantom mode alot but games often drag on forever with no action gets kinda stale if u play it 2-3 times in a row =/
Reply Quote
You need to build enough buildings to get past the supply limit, it does not increase past the maximum by itself.

I did, I kept building supply depots as Terran, and other buildings to build units, but still, it wouldn't go past 200.
Reply Quote
I have won twice, and one of those wins was actually pretty epic. You can view the replay here if you want to:

http://tw.iownthiswebhost.com/phantommodeownage.SC2Replay
Edited by Skyler on 9/22/2010 8:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Except, it was recorded before 1.1 was released. Lame.
Reply Quote
Nice Video! Those thousands of lines of code are awesome to watch as they don't move!
Edited by Quietskillzz on 9/22/2010 9:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
In the last game I played, one person remarked that the first to get air, is phantom.

Generally, it can be true for most cases; Mass VRs w/ carriers, fully upgraded, with Mommaship is very effective, as are mass mutas/corruptors, and mass BCs/Vikings, but I've seen phantoms build nothing but stalkers/marines and still win.

A good trick for finding the phantom later on, is see if they have units queued up, and not able to build. Then, when the phantom gets a supply boost, see if it changes, or if they start making more pylons/SDs, or overlords. Building mass of one building all of a sudden is another good indicator, or drastically falling behind in teching in an attempt to disguise.

For early on, I take into note who has unvisioned me or not. Some people will do it early on for fun, or to throw the real phantom off, but it's a good indicator sometimes. Also, if you're playing as a slayer or Paladin, and if you have a decent sized army, see which of your 'enemies' units counter yours best.
The last game I played, I was a paladin, and massed BCs, with thors for support. Then, I saw someone who's base was next to mine start to mass stalkers, DTs, and HTs. Stalkers for BCs, HTs for feedback, and I had no detection, so I got out 3 ravens. Turns out, they were the phantom.

I hope this helps people. :)
Reply Quote

I've won it a few times. Yes, even in a 2v1 you won't win by brute force. You have to try to get the other two players to fight each other... If one person attacks you, try to rebuild/fight back as normal as you can - as if you are a slayer/paladin - don't try to make 22 units producing structures, because that's a dead giveaway.
Reply Quote
Lol, I just won a game where I went mass phoenix + cannoned my base. I was so amazing at playing mind games + building a believable base that I got EVERYONE on the map to kill each other (this was 1 phantom vs 7 slayers). Eventually, when only three of us were standing everyone went free for all. I took this opportunity to make 50+ stargates at the corner of the map and pumped out 350 food worth of void rays lmao.

GG :>.
Reply Quote
love this

you don't have to be a phantom or paladin to get massive resources

if im slayer, instead of supply depots (i always play terran :P), I make command centers, over a dozen. So then I just keep a constant flow of mules going, giving RIDICULOUS amounts of minerals. also makes it easy to build another base... then make 20 barracks... people often will claim your the phantom though, and kill you :(

Its great though, you ussually know who the phantom is if they point their finger at you FIRST.

most of all, I dont see a lot of games use social mingling as a strat, which is cool (childish name calling in regular games isn't strat)
Edited by Bronx on 9/23/2010 5:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
love this

you don't have to be a phantom or paladin to get massive resources

if im slayer, instead of supply depots (i always play terran :P), I make command centers, over a dozen. So then I just keep a constant flow of mules going, giving RIDICULOUS amounts of minerals. also makes it easy to build another base... then make 20 barracks... people often will claim your the phantom though, and kill you :(

Its great though, you ussually know who the phantom is if they point their finger at you FIRST.

most of all, I dont see a lot of games use social mingling as a strat, which is cool (childish name calling in regular games isn't strat)

I saw someone do something like that, he surrounded his base in command centers, and upgraded them to the ones with the turret on top. It was a decent defense, but up against a massive BC army, not so much. He had tons of command centers for defense, but lacked AA.
Reply Quote
All i would say is that the game i won, i made very few buildings, just massed workers and resources, and cannoned up a bit, while everyone talk and began to accuse others of being the phantom,many apparently unaware that there were 2 phantoms. (i was one! but no one accuse me!) when i had tons of resource i suddenly built like 8 starports, and massed carriers and mo ship uber fast. during this time the rest of the players were attacking another player who had unallied with everyone, but he wasnt the other phantom, he was a pally falsely accused! haah by the time they figured it out, i massed a fleet of carriers and wiped them out one at a time np.
I would agree with other who have said the 2 phantoms should know each other earlier, but not from the start. as u can see from the game i won, even with shared vision, i was able to trick them, by not making my ports til the last minute, cannoning up and doing upgrades, laying low not accusing anyone, just going along with the crowd. at that point i was absolutely loaded with resources (i had expanded too, but only after 3-4 others did first), so making 8+ ports and massing air and mo ship was uber fast, 2 nexus to chrono from as well. But maybe it would be better (more mysterious), if fog of war was on for the first 3-5 minutes, then was lifted.
Edited by LunaticFRING on 9/23/2010 11:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
How did this guy know I was the phantom? He knew without even watching me within a few seconds of the game starting...

(short replay)

http://rapidshare.com/files/420915077/phantomReplay1.SC2Replay

Also a No Air voting option would be nice.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]