StarCraft® II

[Star Tactics] Official Thread (New Units!)

Previews for beta 3.0 are being added over the next week! Weigh in on them throughout their testing phase!
Reply Quote
This mod is AWESOME! I do have to ask though... why no Scourge? Also, why can the Omegalisk burrow, but not the brutalisk? Thanks for the answers if you give 'em. :)
Reply Quote
This mod is AWESOME! I do have to ask though... why no Scourge? Also, why can the Omegalisk burrow, but not the brutalisk? Thanks for the answers if you give 'em. :)

I appreciate the compliment! The scourge was a compromise in new units to Zerg. To be honest, I'm still on the fence about it. I understand there are several units from BW that are in the editor, but I didn't want to throw every BW unit blindly into the mix for the sake of adding new units. The scourge was a great anti-capital ship in BW, but now that Zerg can utilize Corruptors for anti-capital ships or Mutalisks for other anti-air, and, now in this modification, the ability to produce cheaper Hydralisks, I didn't want to throw another wrench in other races diversity by throwing cheap anti-air units in. This was a conscious decision made for keeping all races as balanced as possible. Hopefully that's a decent explanation.

As far as the Brutalisk goes, it's along the same lines. I wanted to keep the core parts of the game in tact as much as possible, only adding new technologies and abilities when I feel the balance needed to be checked. Blizzard originally made the Brutalisk without the burrow ability, and that seemed fine with me. Also, the fact that they are so large and can be micro'd into tight spaces to reduce their threat is a big factor, and burrow would give them the element of surprise and the ability to maintain a spread. The Omegalisk doing this is enough of a threat, let alone a massive anti-groud and anti-air unit. If you're looking for a lore-based answer, the Brutalisk doesn't have massive blades or claws, they have more of a "spike"-oriented attack, so it'd be hard to bury a massive creature by stabbing at the ground.
Reply Quote
The tech that gives cheaper drones, hydra, roach requires lair. But if you tech hive before getting it, the tech becomes unavailable. Imo u should include hive for consistancy.
Reply Quote
The tech that gives cheaper drones, hydra, roach requires lair. But if you tech hive before getting it, the tech becomes unavailable. Imo u should include hive for consistancy.

Awesome, thanks for reporting that. I'll include that in patch 3.0.
Reply Quote
Patch 3.0 is LIVE!
Reply Quote
just a few thoughts, make of them what you will, but I was wondering/thinking about the three races and noticed/thought about a few thing

Terran:These guys are pretty much awesome. I kinda miss perdition turrets, but I can see why they are not in. Not much to say.

Zerg:You already heard my thoughts regarding the Scourge and such, but I do have one more thought/question. A lot of people complain about the zerg lack of T1 AA (Im in no position to comment on the matter myself)... what about adding the Infested marine as a hatchery level unit? Ill admit that part of this question is selfish, because I love the infested marine, but still...

Protoss: Ok, I haven't had a lot of time to mess with these folks, as I suck with them. However, in my one time with them, I couldn't help but notice that they kinda got unluck with regards to new units, tech etc... Is there a reason for this? I know they get Hybrids and Scouts... IF you are lost for ideas, what about the dark/twilight archons, Reavers, etc.... just thoughts.

Again, I am NOT telling you how to make your own map... I'm just curious (and a little hopeful).

(Edit) Sorry, I was a little excited and didn't read the first page..... do the "Dark" units do anything differant from the regular ones? Can you still build the regulars? I'ma go test it out, but your statement on the matter would really clear it up.
Edited by Raven on 9/16/2010 8:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
just a few thoughts, make of them what you will, but I was wondering/thinking about the three races and noticed/thought about a few thing

Terran:These guys are pretty much awesome. I kinda miss perdition turrets, but I can see why they are not in. Not much to say.

Zerg:You already heard my thoughts regarding the Scourge and such, but I do have one more thought/question. A lot of people complain about the zerg lack of T1 AA (Im in no position to comment on the matter myself)... what about adding the Infested marine as a hatchery level unit? Ill admit that part of this question is selfish, because I love the infested marine, but still...

Protoss: Ok, I haven't had a lot of time to mess with these folks, as I suck with them. However, in my one time with them, I couldn't help but notice that they kinda got unluck with regards to new units, tech etc... Is there a reason for this? I know they get Hybrids and Scouts... IF you are lost for ideas, what about the dark/twilight archons, Reavers, etc.... just thoughts.

Again, I am NOT telling you how to make your own map... I'm just curious (and a little hopeful).

(Edit) Sorry, I was a little excited and didn't read the first page..... do the "Dark" units do anything differant from the regular ones? Can you still build the regulars? I'ma go test it out, but your statement on the matter would really clear it up.

Zerg: I've played around with an upgrade that gave roaches an air attack a while ago, but it felt really unbalanced and out of place. I've thought about switching Hydras and Roaches, but I really wanted to keep the core as similar as possible. It came down to Air simply being an advantage over early Zerg and it's a risk to rush to it that some may take. It's by design, and Zerg players need a strategy to fit that characteristic.

Protoss: The Dark units will be heavily altered in the next upcoming patch and further made unique. At this moment, they replace too quickly the original units they are designed after. They will be made slightly harder to come by but will also benefit from the Call to Battle tech. Also, I don't feel the Protoss are at a loss for new upgrades as they benefit greatly from a Synergized Nexus, 50% more chronoboost for the cost. The ability for Immortals to hit air, albeit with little damage to light units, is a great advantage for a Robotics build. The Hybrids with the full upgrades from Bond with the Void are incredible, and the Reaver makes a great tanking unit. They will be refined as time goes on, and, in the large scope of things, as new expansions are released by Blizzard.

Your input is greatly appreciated, and any more that you'd have would be welcome.
Reply Quote
Thanks for answering my questions.
Reply Quote
Upon closer inspection, and playing the latest patch, I must say, this, is awesome. You sir, wins 5 internets+ a cookie. The protoss are very clearly budffed up, I was wrong. Dark units are awesome. Purifier is awesome. Still miss the Infested Terran.... ah well. GJ sir.

(Edit) BTW, the Dark units and regular ones at the gateway are on a seperate cooldown, allowing you to warp in two units at once per gateway. Is this intentional?
Edited by Raven on 9/16/2010 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Upon closer inspection, and playing the latest patch, I must say, this, is awesome. You sir, wins 5 internets+ a cookie. The protoss are very clearly budffed up, I was wrong. Dark units are awesome. Purifier is awesome. Still miss the Infested Terran.... ah well. GJ sir.

(Edit) BTW, the Dark units and regular ones at the gateway are on a seperate cooldown, allowing you to warp in two units at once per gateway. Is this intentional?

At first it wasn't intentional, but I'm considering the separate cooldown if they cost a separate research. In all likelihood, the cooldowns will be linked with the other units.

Also, as a professed EDiot, winning internets is basically my only goal in life. As far as Infested Terrans go, I have the long-term goal of hosting more cash-prize tournaments, and, if this takes off, having a small charge of $5 or something to enter, winner receiving $500 or something similar, and using whatever money is left to commission artists to make custom models, skins, sounds, etc., so I can release expansions of this modification. I'd love to have a variant of the Infested Terran or other infested units in an expansion. But that's all hype for now.
Reply Quote
Awesome.
Reply Quote
Patch 3.3 is LIVE! This marks the last major patch before the tournament and the near end of the Beta! Thanks to everyone for the support! I'm looking forward to some great matchups!
Reply Quote
My friend and I love your Map. Neither of us play in any of the ranked ladders, and in fact generally only play against each other or together against the AI.

Your map got me interested in playing around with the editor. Sadly I don't have your skill and can't seem to make anything work yet. But I am sure that comes with screwing around with it till I get something to work right LOL!

A question. Is it possible/allowed/acceptable to download your map and tweak it for my friend and I to play on and practice with? I figured it may be a good way to see what works and doesn't work when editing units, etc.

Thanks, and keep up the great work.

Reply Quote
My friend and I love your Map. Neither of us play in any of the ranked ladders, and in fact generally only play against each other or together against the AI.

Your map got me interested in playing around with the editor. Sadly I don't have your skill and can't seem to make anything work yet. But I am sure that comes with screwing around with it till I get something to work right LOL!

A question. Is it possible/allowed/acceptable to download your map and tweak it for my friend and I to play on and practice with? I figured it may be a good way to see what works and doesn't work when editing units, etc.

Thanks, and keep up the great work.

I appreciate the post! When I first got the beta and the map editor was released, I gave up because I couldn't figure out a damn thing. Just takes some effort. Complete a few tutorials online and the rest you can pick up from once you realize how the different categories relate. Then it's a hunting game to figure out what causes what.

I do not believe I'll be posting this map any time soon to the public. The "lock" feature is a great feature to have for good reasoning.
Reply Quote
I completely understand. I wasn't even aware you could lock maps but that is good to know. I thought they were out there but I felt like I should ask before I even tried anyway. Regardless I will continue to enjoy your mod and try to figure out how the heck to make my own.
Reply Quote
I was so thankful when I found this map today, I have been (like others in this thread) attempting to use the editor, for this type of purpose, and have been getting basically no where as of late. Thank you for you're work it is very well crafted and I would love to sit and scratch your brain from time to time, life allowing. That being said I have not explored your modifications in all their aspects just yet but I'm truely looking forward to doing so in the near furture. I have noted one "bugg" if you hadn't of course intended it, while "Launched" Rax/ports/&Fac do not have the option for the Tech Reactor avalible. Not sure if that would come up often but it did for me xD. Wish you the best of luck with this creation moving forward and imo this is much closer to what SC2 should have been all round, though much much harder to balance overall it leads to sooooo many new and exciting strategies. Agian Thank you
-Trip-

Edit: Just having remebered another possible "bugg" if unintended, ChronoBoost is not possible on the Dark Shrine. (I haven't read all posts in this thread so sry if these have been mentioned in the past)
Edited by Triprunner on 9/16/2010 11:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I was so thankful when I found this map today, I have been (like others in this thread) attempting to use the editor, for this type of purpose, and have been getting basically no where as of late. Thank you for you're work it is very well crafted and I would love to sit and scratch your brain from time to time, life allowing. That being said I have not explored your modifications in all their aspects just yet but I'm truely looking forward to doing so in the near furture. I have noted one "bugg" if you hadn't of course intended it, while "Launched" Rax/ports/&Fac do not have the option for the Tech Reactor avalible. Not sure if that would come up often but it did for me xD. Wish you the best of luck with this creation moving forward and imo this is much closer to what SC2 should have been all round, though much much harder to balance overall it leads to sooooo many new and exciting strategies. Agian Thank you
-Trip-

Edit: Just having remebered another possible "bugg" if unintended, ChronoBoost is not possible on the Dark Shrine. (I haven't read all posts in this thread so sry if these have been mentioned in the past)

You were actually playing the Alpha version of the map, not the Beta, so a lot of those problems you are seeing are actually no longer there, and there's a lot of features you're missing out on. The map will be titled, "Star Tactics [Beta]" in the melee menu, second page down if it's still there. I really appreciate your post, and, though I wouldn't likely release my map for private use, I will definitely be here to answer any questions about map-making that I can. If you or anyone else sees anything in my map you'd like to ask about, go for it.

I'd love to hear from you after you try out the beta!
Reply Quote
i was wondering if any new terrains would be coming out for it soon?
Reply Quote
i was wondering if any new terrains would be coming out for it soon?

The plans after the nearing wrap-up of the Beta are, in order:

2v2 - Lost Temple
1v1 - Blistering Sands
3v3 - TBD
4v4 - TBD

It is likely that I'll find custom maps for the other variants. To be honest, I can't do a damn thing until I figure out how to export data from the editor.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]