StarCraft® II

PotatoLiSK's Guide to Necrobumping

(Locked)

08/07/2012 08:15 PMPosted by PotatoLiSK
It's there, but nobody checks it, especially on these forums.
Like I said, not plainly obvious. Nearly made the mistake a few times myself.
Edited by Bobucles on 8/7/2012 8:40 PM PDT
Excellent guide. Considering for sticky.

The only way this could be better would be if it were necroed.

You can't necro a sticky :-) It's already alive.
I've always wondered why people don't like seeing old threads come back to life. The whole idea of ANY forum's search function is to find information, and much of that information is found in dead threads. Granted, this forum doesn't seem to have much of a functioning search, but it does point me to the occasional dead thread. Posting in that thread to get clarification, or to let the people know that this is good information isn't a pointless pursuit.
It is not plainly obvious to see when a thread is dated

Yes it is...

It's right in front of you, but in smaller text and a less forward font coloring.

If I may make a suggestion if a blue sees it, perhaps it would be better to apply a color gradient to the age of a post's time stamp. Something like bright blue for newer posts and either the current washed out grey for older posts, or perhaps a yellow or red (A yellow much like the Code of Conduct warnings below the post box). This would make it easier for forum-goers to tell older posts apart at a quick glance.

Mayhap something like Team Liquid does, where posts older than a certain age get a special giant tag on them.

Or even a quick extra warning about the necro and an "Are you sure?" prompt before the post goes through.
Edited by TropicalBob on 8/7/2012 9:26 PM PDT
08/07/2012 09:26 PMPosted by TropicalBob

Yes it is...

It's right in front of you, but in smaller text and a less forward font coloring.

If I may make a suggestion if a blue sees it, perhaps it would be better to apply a color gradient to the age of a post's time stamp. Something like bright blue for newer posts and either the current washed out grey for older posts, or perhaps a yellow or red (A yellow much like the Code of Conduct warnings below the post box). This would make it easier for forum-goers to tell older posts apart at a quick glance.

Mayhap something like Team Liquid does, where posts older than a certain age get a special giant tag on them.

Or even a quick extra warning about the necro and an "Are you sure?" prompt before the post goes through.

I like these ideas. 99.9999% chance it won't happen.
08/07/2012 05:13 PMPosted by Shinitenshi

$50 says that someone necrobumps this in a few months.

I think my chances at winning are pretty high, so you're on! Unless somebody bumps this just to smite me (you or someone else)

You just have to spam-fill this thread to 26 pages so that it can't be necro'd.
08/07/2012 08:07 PMPosted by Bobucles
Necromancy is partially the forum's fault. It is not plainly obvious to see when a thread is dated, and the search engine likes to bring up old threads often enough.

It says the f*cking date of the post on the post.
Do not do it.

Examples of threads to necro:

Examples of threads not to necro:
ALL OF THEM

Daxxarri>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cloaken

Daxxarri>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cloaken

Agreed.
Do not do it.

ALL OF THEM

Let it be done.
Just wait till 2013... I'll necro this XD.
you can't necro it if it doesn't die

Agreed.

To be fair, Cloaken's been around what, a week?
MVP - StarCraft
I've seen people suspended from the forums on multiple occasions for intentional necroing. Anyone doing so does it at his own risk.
Do not do it.

ALL OF THEM

You just wait, this will be my most glorious necro. The temp ban will be worth it :D
Community Manager
08/07/2012 09:07 PMPosted by Venari
I've always wondered why people don't like seeing old threads come back to life.

Mostly, it's about making sure that the discussion stays relevant. For example, if someone dredges up a discussion from the middle of last year, the content of the OP has a high likelihood of not applying to the current metagame. Otherwise innocent forum posters could wander into the thread and see that someone is expressing a reservation about something that's already been addressed. This triggers a profound physiological change. Rational brain cells switch off. Cortisol and epinephrine begin flooding the unfortunate victim's body. Spasmodically, their fingers involuntarily unleash a blast of incredulous forum rage on the OP... an OP who is long gone, and who will never see the words directed at them. The infection spreads as others pile into the thread, page numbers fly upward as all involved become embroiled in the calamity. Total chaos, mass hysteria, cats and dogs living together.

On the other hand, there are some discussions which remain relevant and ongoing which are "okay" to necro. Those are pretty rare though, so it's probably just better to avoid the practice entirely.
"Ah, you scared me again." The SCV goes back to buttering his biscuits.

What is wrong with you people, you keep on scary the SCV who is just trying to make this place better.

Any who, I am from the Joeyray's community and we are more tolerant about it then others. Instead we just tell them to please never do it again, and they usually never do it again. I have a proposition to you Blizzard that might work.

If a thread on the General or race threads have not been replied to in so many days, then Blizzard should just go ahead and lock it. Just please stay out of the Joeyray's bar if you need to lock something though. Sometimes we revive threads so we can continue to RP on that thread.
Edited by CrymsonRaven on 8/9/2012 12:19 PM PDT
08/08/2012 03:14 AMPosted by BcBroBama
Necromancy is partially the forum's fault. It is not plainly obvious to see when a thread is dated, and the search engine likes to bring up old threads often enough.

It says the f*cking date of the post on the post.
Clearly there will never be necromancy ever again. You solved it!

Oh wait, no. This is the internet, where the vast majority take the path of least resistance. Posting takes no effort, checking for necromancy does. It's. Really. That. Simple.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]