Idra, formerly "the best zerg in the world"

What happened? He was doing so good last year, people throwing out terms like the one stated above, and now he's not doing well at all. He's still nothing to scoff at, don't get me wrong, but he still is a shell of his former self, i'd say. Even with how well Zerg players seem to be doing right now. Pick up your game!
Reply Quote
omg when was IdrA the best zerg? there was nestea then DRG then stephano (foreign)... he was the "best" because back then koreans didn't compete in MLG!
Reply Quote
Idra was OK during the beta and at release, but hasn't posted any real results since then. He was never the best in the world, just the most vocal.
Reply Quote
I remember him doing quite well last year in GSL, making it to the round of 4 if i remember correctly, and i specificly remember there being people (not just stupid posters, i mean like pro gamers and casters) saying Idra "debatably the best zerg in the world"
Reply Quote
that was further ago than a year

at the time he had better mechanics than nearly everyone, and was practicing a ton
he lost focus, other peoples' mechanics caught up, and he's damn terrible at the mindgaming / creativity aspects of the game
Reply Quote
He is not the best right now but still one of the best. His game has been off, yes, but all professional competators go through slumps.
Reply Quote
that was further ago than a year

At the start of SC2 he was considered a top 2 zerg (behind fruitdealer) and then a top 5 (at mimimum) in the following months. His play went down from there until he rose up again in Oct/Nov of 2011 where he won 3 major tournaments in a short period of time. No other zergs were doing particularly well at that time so it was easy to consider him a top 3 zerg. So yeah, he was doing pretty damn good at the end of last year.

I wouldn't say there was ever a period where he was "The best zerg in the world" though. He definitely held best foreigner for awhile, but there have always been a Korean or two who have better for him.

As for his current play who knows. His play was complete !@#$ at the start of 2012 which is odd since he was training in Korea. To me it seemed like his teammates were hinting at problems in his personal life, but if that was the case then it was never brought forward to the public. His play has definitely improved since then and he is a legitimate threat at tournaments, but at the same time he's not consistent enough to be considered a contender for winning a major tournament.
Edited by Blizark on 8/9/2012 1:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/08/2012 10:09 PMPosted by shadowhawk
I remember him doing quite well last year in GSL, making it to the round of 4 if i remember correctly, and i specificly remember there being people (not just stupid posters, i mean like pro gamers and casters) saying Idra "debatably the best zerg in the world"

When asked who the best foreigner, koreans have always, every single time (with only one exception) answered with one of the foreigners they have played against most frequently, because they know his play.

when idra was in korea, all the koreans called him the best foreigner. It may have been true.
Thorzain goes to the slayers house, MMA calls him best foreigner.
DRG plays thorzain at an intivitational, drg calls thorzain best foreigner.
Anytime a foreigner took games off a korean, that korean called him the best foreigner.
etc etc etc

the one exception is stephano. Lots of koreans seem to already somehow know he is the best foreigner whether they have played against him or not.
Reply Quote
I would say he was one of the top zerg a year ago but he does seem to be pretty off now. It's kinda sad, his macro was insane.
Reply Quote
08/09/2012 01:24 AMPosted by Taishar
He is not the best right now but still one of the best. His game has been off, yes, but all professional competators go through slumps.

Pretty long slump.
Reply Quote
during beta and when sc2 was released. fruit dealer and idra were 2 of the best zergs in the world.
Reply Quote
08/09/2012 11:23 AMPosted by GoldEagle
during beta and when sc2 was released. fruit dealer and idra were 2 of the best zergs in the world.

That was back before people learned how to macro. At this point the main thing that keeps IdrA down is his own inconsistent gameplays.
Reply Quote
08/09/2012 10:46 AMPosted by Napples

Pretty long slump.

slumps can last a longgg time in this game. Just look at seed over a year ago he tore onto the scene and then proceeded to drop out of code A for over year only to come back and win the GSL this last season
Reply Quote
Actually, he was (and is) perfect to scoff at.
Reply Quote
The game evolved, IdrA didn't.

He was a top Zerg (not "the best Zerg") for a while because he was very good out of the gates. He was a top foreigner in Brood War (where he played Terran) and his strong mechanics carried him a long way in the early days of SC2.

Now that people are getting better at SC2, and mechanics are improving across the board, he doesn't have the macro advantage that he used to. His macro is still very good, still better than most despite what people think, but his macro alone can no longer get him big wins. He needs to improve other aspects of his play, and who knows if that will happen?

He's still a very good player, capable of taking a game off of any opponent, but he's very inconsistent and probably doesn't have a big tournament win in his future unless he really improves his training regimen.
Reply Quote
The game evolved, IdrA didn't.

He was a top Zerg (not "the best Zerg") for a while because he was very good out of the gates. He was a top foreigner in Brood War (where he played Terran) and his strong mechanics carried him a long way in the early days of SC2.

Now that people are getting better at SC2, and mechanics are improving across the board, he doesn't have the macro advantage that he used to. His macro is still very good, still better than most despite what people think, but his macro alone can no longer get him big wins. He needs to improve other aspects of his play, and who knows if that will happen?

He's still a very good player, capable of taking a game off of any opponent, but he's very inconsistent and probably doesn't have a big tournament win in his future unless he really improves his training regimen.

Idra has said himself that his play style revolves a lot about reading his opponent...that playstyle suffers from three things:

1. you misread you're opponent
2. your opponent is mind gaming you and shows you something so you misread it
3. your opponent is doing a nonsensical build so reading them is worthless

interesting how those three things are what idra rages most about now a days
Reply Quote
Idra was the first zzerg

Artosis confirmed
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]