SCII Editor: Suggestions & Improvements Thread

(Sticky)

09/01/2012 03:42 PMPosted by composure
I would love a function to get an actor's unit or hero image, that way I can display a little icon in dialogs of whatever heroes the players have chosen.

Why not just keep track of it when they chose their hero. For instance if there is a hero called GOSUmarine and I click on it to chose that hero then you probably already have a trigger to detect this.

Just add a line of code which records the unit in a global variable and then later you can use that unit in dialogs.
Reply Quote
When creating a dialog item image, by default Tiled is set to check. Most of the time mappers won't use the tiled option. So I think it should be unchecked by default.
Reply Quote
09/01/2012 07:29 PMPosted by turtles
I would love a function to get an actor's unit or hero image, that way I can display a little icon in dialogs of whatever heroes the players have chosen.

Why not just keep track of it when they chose their hero. For instance if there is a hero called GOSUmarine and I click on it to chose that hero then you probably already have a trigger to detect this.

Just add a line of code which records the unit in a global variable and then later you can use that unit in dialogs.

You are missing the point. For one, I already have the hero set to a variable. The point is I want a function to get the actor's unit or hero image. As in a 76x76 image. That way, on a leaderboard-style dialogue I can display their hero portrait next to their name. Understand?
Reply Quote
[Editor Discrepancy] Ability (sub-type: Specialize)
In the GUI, when editing the Ability:Info+ field, the header for the indexes reads |Command|Button|Behavior|. This is misleading because the field is actually for an effect (and thus should read |Command|Button|Effect|)

[Modification] Behavior (sub-type: Buff)
- Allow a unit's mover, vision height, and collision to be modified via behavior

[Bug] Effect (sub-type: modify unit)
- Negative salvage values do not function. (Positive values function as expected)
Edited by ckSynergy on 9/3/2012 9:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You are missing the point. For one, I already have the hero set to a variable. The point is I want a function to get the actor's unit or hero image. As in a 76x76 image. That way, on a leaderboard-style dialogue I can display their hero portrait next to their name. Understand?

The point is that you can already just save those images to a variable array which can be referenced by player variables with hero index. Given the choice between SC2 editor programmers implementing additional functionality or bug fixes vs. streamlining niche functionalities which are already possible, I would prefer that they focus on the former.

For the record, I've done the exact thing you're discussing in a map I'm working on right now. It wasn't trivial, but it wasn't difficult either.
Reply Quote

nnnnnnnnoooope

Basically what khalanil said above me.

in pseudo-code:

trigger:
event:
player choses a hero
actions:
switch depending on hero
case hero1
set variable hero_portrait[triggering player] = portrait_abc
case hero2
set variable hero_portrait[triggering player] = portrait_xyz

etcetc

function:
create leaderboard for player 1
actions:
create portrait with model hero_portrait[1]

seems fairly trivial to me. I too would rather Blizzard extend the functionality of the editor rather than creating shortcuts for things that are already do-able.

Unless what you are trying to do is completely different than what you are describing, in which case only you know what you are trying to do.
Edited by turtles on 9/3/2012 7:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Here is one.

I notice you guys like to rewrite existing functions (like spawn units) by doing stuff like optimizing or whatnot.

But the functions reference in the GUI Trigger AND Data editor seem to reference to a different "build" of the same function. I've noticed like in actors if I go through and simply "refresh" the links by linking something else and then back again old actors that were broken suddenly start working again.

I fully support optimizations but it would be nice if we had some indication that what we put in the GUI editor is not up to date with your current function builds.

One thing that may be especially useful is adding a function to the editor that goes through and refreshes all the links to the current function builds. This would probably help remove a lot of the bugs that occur in custom maps every time a patch is released.

It would also help if you add an extra file to the .sc2map and .sc2mod mpq that lists every function and what patch build that it was added or refreshed. That way we can use the listfiles mpq editor (a project you may want to officially sponsor) to go look at that file and track down which functions we need to refresh to the current build. This applies for both data and triggers (and perhaps AI and UI as well).
Edited by FockeWulf on 9/5/2012 7:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Dont know if you guys are still reading this, But I could REALLY use the ability to change texture sets via triggers. I could add a whole new level to fun to my maps.
Reply Quote
I have a simple suggestion, for Passive buttons to be able to display the various costs and charge counts of the behavior associated with the passive button.
Reply Quote
I really think that the ability to add more textures to your map would be awesome there are just not enough for my liking if we could have like 12 that would be awesome not saying you have to use 12 but having the option to have 12 or more would be awesome.

The case i can think of is what if i want grassy areas then snowy mountains and then a dark cave but they are in vastly different climates i am currently much to limited by the number of textures.

Another cool thing would be the ability to increase or decrease the size of the textures so that when placing it on a map if your units were scaled down you could make the texture smaller so it fits better.

My current workaround is to take the texture change its size to 128x128 then tiling it at that size to a texture of 1024x1024 so that the terrain texture looks smaller.
Reply Quote
Here is one:

Have an option we can choose where if we save the map is clears and rewrites the map cache for w/e map we are working on. This may help prevent a lot of bugs from happening in the editor.
Reply Quote
I have a new Editor request then, Can we get ALL scrapped assets that wont be used in their current form in a File on Battle.net and Call it, Editors Fun Pack or something

This would be great, out modelers could modify them, even the ones without all their animations could be given animations, this would REALLY boost the community. Please this would really help us all
Reply Quote
Request: Legacy Sound Assets, A file containing sounds from Wc2, Wc1, and Diablo 1. This would also help us A LOT, we would need the unit sounds and all though. and MAYBE the unit icons, but I can scour for those on Google
Reply Quote
It would be nice to have all the old models/effects lost in the SC II WoL Beta at our disposal.
I'm talking about reavers, twilight archons, soul hunters, etc

Take a look to these links to see what I'm talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldpYvYd_zT4
http://sc2armory.com/files/screenshots/20.jpg (overload spell effect)
http://sc2armory.com/files/screenshots/36.jpg (tempest and interceptors, old carrier)
http://sc2armory.com/files/screenshots/53.jpg (red pylon?
http://sc2armory.com/files/screenshots/67.jpg (weird building)
http://sc2armory.com/files/screenshots/74.jpg (units I listed before)

I know these models may be incomplete or look weird in the actual build but we don't care ;)
We have a lot of skillful modelers/skinners/data editors that will be able to fix them.
Edited by Bibendus on 9/14/2012 2:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Suggestion: More dialog item over time actions.

For example, we can fade a dialog item over time, but we can't move, rotate, or tint them over time.
Reply Quote
I have to agree with Bidendus. Having any and all model/art assets include from beta would be absolutely perfect. If im not mistaken wasn't hots suppose to add all the assets from past games to like wow and war3?
Reply Quote
A function to get the time in real life might be neat.
Reply Quote
I wish there was an option in the trigger section so that when you create a new action it does not load default values automatically.

Lets use for example this line of code which just now took me about 10 minutes to debug :S

If you create a new store int to bank action it defaults to this:
Store integer value as key in section in bank last opened bank

which is all fine and dandy. There is a cross near the start of the line and the places for value, key and section are colour coded bright red to make sure that you set them. Change all these values and everything is blue and you're all set to go... except that you forgot to manually change the "last opened bank" part which it set by default, presumably to be helpful causing all maner of bugs.

What would be helpful is if it didn't automatically fill in the blanks for you. I do not know how much time I have spent chasing down strange bugs because I forgot to reset one of the "helpful" auto completes, but it would be a lot of time! It would certainly be far greater than the time saved on the extremely rare occasion that the autocomplete has had the correct value/function.

It might make it slightly more noob friendly to have so I guess keep it by default but an option to turn this off would save a lot of time for everyone else.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
Pro Suggestion here.

Make it so you can set the camera to only render a region rather than being forced to use farclip and render EVERYTHING within a distance.
Reply Quote
I have a suggestion, would it be possible( from what I read in the forums its not already), to Convert Map To a MOD, Of course deleting all terrain. ? IF we cant already this would be a great feature. That way we dont have to copy/paste our tiggers and data to make a mod from a map.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]