StarCraft® II

Protoss multiplayer brainstorm

These threads are a dime a dozen, you guys know the drill. Follow forum rules and all that. Feel free to post ideas and stuff.

Ability:Psionic Vengence
Unit: Zealot
Building: Dark Shrine
Effect: After a zealot dies it spawns a cloaked Psionic Avenger that fights for a short amount of time.
Comments: Always thought it would be cool if a zealot's "ghost" that appears when it dies kept fighting. Zealots are kind of throw away units late game, so this kind of plays into that, making zealots a less obvious kill target. Again, numbers would determine how powerful something would be here. A ghost that fought for a quarter of a second would be almost useless, while a ghost that fought indefinitely would be silly. The idea is to just create a cool ability.

Ability: Psimeld (or something less stupid sounding)
Potential unit: Dark Templar (they need a use outside of being insta-win against nondetection)
Effect: Melds the shields of a target unit with up to eight nearby units. The targeted unit takes 50% damage, and the remaining 50% is distributed equally among the secondary targets.
comments: kind of a protoss-flavor stim-pack. Causes a group of units to take damage, while increasing survival in other ways. combined with guardian shield, can greatly reduce incoming damage to high-priority targets like Colossi and Archons. To get a better idea of how the ability works, check out spirit walkers from WCIII

Unit: Inquisitor
Requires: Dark Shrine (again needs more uses besides DTs)
Cloaked when stationary
Slows the movement and attack speed of enemy units in an aoe around unit.
Flavor: The dark templar, betrayed by their brainwashed matriarch have vowed to protect the minds of their people using the powers of the void. They watch potential threats closely, and makes sure no target escapes the wrath of the Templar.
Comments: Not really sure what it's specs should be. Just thought that the 'toss should have them.

Upgrade: Khaydarin Matrix-Reactor
Requires : Fleet Beacon
Effect: Carrier upgrade, gives them a load/drop capacity and a stationary power field. Basically, I heard you like warp-prisms, so I put a warp prism in your carrier so you can DT-harass while you mass Carriers. Or something like that.
comments: Dude. Carriers.
Edited by Geir on 9/15/2012 1:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Interesting ideas ill give you that sounds kinda op for some but none the less very interesting.
Reply Quote
I mean, balance is a matter of tweaking numbers and build times. Precedent can determine what kind of abilities are and are not allowed in the game, but numbers are what determine balance. Carriers could easily be op if they had a shorter build time and cost fewer resources. The only real limits on abilities are the limits of what the engine is capable of given a reasonable amount of effort, and the flavor you want the race to have.

For this reason, I didn't put any numbers in, because they would be changed eventually anyway. The exception is the "spirit link" clone, which was ripped from WCIII.
Reply Quote
Protoss were deliberately given higher shield regeneration because the Shield Battery was never used in SC1 or BW, to the point that it was a non-issue for balance. So that's not happening, if anyone gets excited by the words "shield regeneration".

I still think a moderately speedy ground unit would be good for Protoss, but one of the main problems is that 'Toss has more Robo and Gateway units than it can handle as-is.
Reply Quote
Again, numbers tweaks. I don't see them playing with shield regen as it hasn't caused any problems throughout WoL that have been noted. I really like the teleporting-type things the protoss army can do. The thing that annoys me the most is that if I already have an army, I inhibit my ability to do warp shenanigans. It would be cool to see a protoss-style Nydus network that stored units and then could warp them in anywhere with a power field. Once you're done with the attack you could retreat using mass recall.
Reply Quote
The thing that annoys me the most is that if I already have an army, I inhibit my ability to do warp shenanigans. It would be cool to see a protoss-style Nydus network that stored units and then could warp them in anywhere with a power field. Once you're done with the attack you could retreat using mass recall.

Step 1: Get more Warp Prisms.
Step 2: Get Blink.
Step 3: Use Prisms to unload every non-Stalker/non-Colossus unit, blink onto cliff, warp in more.

I'm baffled by how often Protoss players simply ignore the fact that they can ignore cliffs with the bulk of their army, and shuttle the other half without spending a dime in gas. But then again, Zerg never use Burrow and Terran never land Vikings.
Reply Quote
I think no units are gonna be add, adding units only makes the game longer as maybe some big part of the story has to do with that unit adding it also makes MP Harder and Slower to Finnish.
I guess you can try tho
Reply Quote
Brainstorm

Psionic Storm

I Win!
Reply Quote
1) Buff Carriers. I made a thread dedicated to this: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/3566337333
2) Give Archons more splash. I remember in BW when they practically had Siege tank splash.
3) Make the Mothership have a constant rate of fire, like the Void Ray, but nerf the damage a little.
Reply Quote
1) Buff Carriers. I made a thread dedicated to this: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/3566337333
2) Give Archons more splash. I remember in BW when they practically had Siege tank splash.
3) Make the Mothership have a constant rate of fire, like the Void Ray, but nerf the damage a little.

Carriers aren't going to be buffed.
I'm happy with where Archons currently are right now, I believe Blizzard is too.
A consistant rate of fire is a nerf, as theres no longer any burst. Why are you suggesting a nerf on top of it? The general rule is that burst damage has higher dps for the peroid it is active during, and lower overall dps.
Reply Quote
08/26/2012 02:05 PMPosted by Martiny
Give Archons more splash

How bout a archon upgrade at the dark shrine that gives it more splash?
A DT upgrade?
Mabye a speed upgrade or a very short ranged blink
Reply Quote
08/26/2012 02:05 PMPosted by Martiny
Give Archons more splash

How bout a archon upgrade at the dark shrine that gives it more splash?
A DT upgrade?
Mabye a speed upgrade or a very short ranged blink
Reply Quote
oops,double post :l
Reply Quote
I think no units are gonna be add, adding units only makes the game longer as maybe some big part of the story has to do with that unit adding it also makes MP Harder and Slower to Finnish.
I guess you can try tho

I highly doubt any devs are ever going to look at this thread for unit ideas. Nevertheless, new units don't have to make the game longer, just give more options for players. More options CAN make multiplayer more intimidating because you (and your opponent) have more options buried in the tech tree, but I wouldn't say it makes it harder.

While adding new units may result in more story, I wouldn't say it needs to be a "big part of the story". Just a little bit here and there can be nice. Particularly if there are lots of little extra bits you don't have to see, but are there if you want to.

I also recommend taking more care with your grammar. I'm not sure I properly addressed the points you were making, but let me know if I missed something.
Reply Quote

Step 1: Get more Warp Prisms.
Step 2: Get Blink.
Step 3: Use Prisms to unload every non-Stalker/non-Colossus unit, blink onto cliff, warp in more.

I'm baffled by how often Protoss players simply ignore the fact that they can ignore cliffs with the bulk of their army, and shuttle the other half without spending a dime in gas. But then again, Zerg never use Burrow and Terran never land Vikings.

I do this every now and then, but I feel that pulling off maneuvers like this takes a lot more skill than it should, and still feels slow. But yeah. Cool tech that isn't really used. Still, I love me some warp prisms.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]