StarCraft® II

Gaming pc for $2000

So I'm considering getting a brand new pc for $2000 with the intent of lasting at least 5 years and I was wondering if my current choice of CPU and video card is enough or should I get something more worth more for my money
CPU is a intel I7 3770 and video card is GeForce GTX 670, rest of the stuff, still deciding to buy in local stores or buying it online...
I'm getting both of those at newegg since I really don't know where else to go since I was told to do that by a good friend because he built his pc in a similar way(buy couple of things at newegg and get the not so important parts somewhere else....
Is there something better in store for my money or is that good enough to last more than 5 years?
Also, is it better to buy everything in in newegg or is it better to just buy the spare parts everywhere and have it become a pain in the !@#?

Any info regarding this is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
Give this thread (and links given) a good read:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6293460070
Reply Quote
If you want to max out StarCraft (among other semi-modern games like Crysis 2, Skyrim, etc) you can get the same performance for under 1000$ (around 600-900$ range) If you are going to buy a gaming rig for 2000$, you might as well buy a pre-built Alienware or something...
Reply Quote
Never get prebuilt for gaming imo no matter the price range. You could custom build some sick sli gtx 680 or something with that budget which wouldnt happen with 2k in alienware.
Reply Quote
08/17/2012 11:10 PMPosted by Wolflink
Never get prebuilt for gaming imo no matter the price range. You could custom build some sick sli gtx 680 or something with that budget which wouldnt happen with 2k in alienware.

This.

You could build a normal gaming PC with i5-3570k, 8gb DDR3 RAM, a great power supply, a case you REALLY like (talking about you Cosmos 2, although may be overbudget) and get something like a GTX 690 and hit that $2000 price point and still have it be miles better than an Alienware of the same price.
Reply Quote
Give this article a shot $2000 / $3000 Custom Gaming PC (Enthusiast & Overclocking Edition) -- http://www.custompcguide.net/2000-3000-custom-gaming-pc-enthusiast-overclocking-edition/
Reply Quote
How come I5 is better than the I7?
I'm sorry, I'm not very savvy when it comes to high end pc's since I have used crappy pcs all my life :/
Reply Quote
08/18/2012 07:00 AMPosted by Manik

This.

You could build a normal gaming PC with i5-3570k, 8gb DDR3 RAM, a great power supply, a case you REALLY like (talking about you Cosmos 2, although may be overbudget) and get something like a GTX 690 and hit that $2000 price point and still have it be miles better than an Alienware of the same price.

If we're spending that much money why only 8gb?
Reply Quote
Because there's zero advantage to have beyond 8GB of RAM for gaming
Reply Quote
If we're spending that much money why only 8gb?

Once you get to certain levels the price/performance ratio gets really out of sync. The top end items like the nVidia 680 or the Radeon 7970 GE don't really offer enough of a performance gain to justify their prices. I have seen many websites recommend the 670 over the 680 because it has a much better price/performance ratio.

As Hibachi said, why pay for more than 8gb if your never going to use it. If you need more you can always expand, but by then you wil likely be ready for a full computer upgrade.
Edited by Morg on 8/20/2012 10:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
As for i5 being better than i7, it has a much better price/performance ratio than an i7. An i7 is actually slightly better, but no where near enough to justify the extra cost.
Reply Quote
one link you need to see...

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadode.asp?id=676211&price=%242%2C099

and its SLI
Reply Quote
honestly, 2000$ is a pretty big waste considering what is out. It'd be better to build one now for 1000$; then wait 2 and a half years to build another. You'd get way better bang for your buck and you'd still practically max out every game at 1080p.
Reply Quote
09/08/2012 04:17 PMPosted by Caseyclysm
honestly, 2000$ is a pretty big waste considering what is out. It'd be better to build one now for 1000$; then wait 2 and a half years to build another. You'd get way better bang for your buck and you'd still practically max out every game at 1080p.

I really agree with this, though you may want to spend a little more than $1000. A $1,200 computer should be able to run just about any game on the market on ultra graphics and in about 2.5-3 years when you start having to turn down a couple things, then upgrade some items. You'll end up by the time you finish that upgrade down the road having a better computer than if you spent $2,000 right now I'd bet.
Reply Quote
Get a ~$1000 computer and spend the rest on your peripherals. Get a mechanical keyboard, decent mouse, and a monitor.
Reply Quote
8GB DDR 3 Ram
Nvidia 680 Graphics Card
I5-3570 Processor
650 Watt Power Supply
Windows 7 64 Bit
A 2 TB Harddrive with a 256 GB SSD

Will cost you around 1200-1400 depending on how Harddrive prices are these days.
Reply Quote
Gonna have to agree with what others have been saying. Pick the parts and build it yourself.
The link given in first reply to the thread gives the post I used when building my new rig last month. Spent around 1200 after all was said and done.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6293460070

I5 3750
Z77 MB
HD 7870 Ghz edition video card . Use the URL below to get comparisons on performance and price
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
I went with 16GB of ram, but 8 GB is really all you need.
Go with a small SSD drive for just your OS and a few select games, SC2 only right now ( i went with 128gb)
Pick up a 1 or 2 TB 7200 rpm HDD for everything else.
550W PS should be enough, but 650 or 700W is a good idea.
Add in OS, Virus protection, optical drive.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]