StarCraft® II

OP mothership core?

Am i the only one who thinks this is gonna happen. instead of cheesing with cannons the enemy just builds a nexus inside the enemy and teleports the core in and uses that as a super cannon. It shouldn't be hard to get a core up by the time the nexus in the enemy base finishes since u can transport them and in early game a zealot or two don't have enough dps to stop a nexus from being produced.
Reply Quote
As far as I know the Mothership core can only attack with the purifier ability which only lasts 20 seconds and costs 75 energy so I don't think it will be much of an issue.
Edited by subjectDelta on 8/11/2012 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There should be no reason for this to be an issue. If you don't somehow spot the fact that they built a nexus in your base then they have to wait to build the MS core and then have to wait until it has enough energy. Once the MS core is done and has enough energy it will start dealing a very minimal amount of damage (2 shots to kill 1 hydra) and after 20sec it will be over and the opponent will lose both the Core and the Nexus which means you got an easy win.
I really don't wanna check to see what league you're in.....
Reply Quote
This is like saying the PF is OP because you can die to a proxy PF in your main. If you die to a PF rush, I'm sorry but your just bad.
Reply Quote
it takes energy to teleport the core, it takes energy to have the core start shooting.

Basicly what you are describing is a PF rush, but much worse because you have to build it from scratch at the destination instead of being able to float it, its cannon has a time limit, and it cant be repaired.
Reply Quote
Not viable in any way whatsoever.

I'm more concerned about early Mothership Core + all-in + Recall combos.
Reply Quote

Agreed i think the recall ability will have to go
Or it will have to be a t3 ability Or have a very small aoe
Reply Quote

Agreed i think the recall ability will have to go
Or it will have to be a t3 ability Or have a very small aoe

Recall is fine. MC is fine.
Reply Quote
I'm less worried about recall than I am about Protoss getting 5x as many Chronos.
But they're going to need to start mining gas earlier to get it and/or be a little later on their Stalker/Sentry/Warp tech.
Reply Quote
If you let your enemy build a freaking nexus in your base, you deserve to lose.
Reply Quote
Personally I think widow mines will absolutely dismantle blink stalker all ins.

Terran looked really really great in the show match.
Reply Quote
08/13/2012 08:00 PMPosted by Nasax
Personally I think widow mines will absolutely dismantle blink stalker all ins.

You sure about that? I think the Widow Mine's detonation time is about the same as Blink's cooldown, just eyeballing it. This means that, worst case scenario, stalker Blinks directly onto a Widow mine and the detonation beats the cooldown by a split second.

This means that, 90% of the time, you can keep attacking until the very last second with a doomed Stalker, then blink it away. High-APM players will be able to shut down Widow Mines easily... and that's saying nothing about whether or not Widow Mines do friendly splash damage.

*EDIT: A much simpler use is to just Blink the affected stalker away. Unlike other units, you don't lose attack time while it's fleeing from your main army - in effect, the mine removes the unit from your army the moment it latches on. Not so with Blink Stalkers.
Edited by LeadfootSlim on 8/14/2012 12:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm less worried about recall than I am about Protoss getting 5x as many Chronos.
But they're going to need to start mining gas earlier to get it and/or be a little later on their Stalker/Sentry/Warp tech.
If Chronoboost was a good ability, that would be a concern. It's not. Even pro players don't want to bother with it after the mid game.

If Zerg manages to NP both Terran and Protoss, there will be a problem. Energy transfer + Orbital command = retarded amounts of mules. That's probably the only issue. On the other hand, it would make for a very funny bonus level.
Edited by Bobucles on 8/14/2012 9:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If Chronoboost was a good ability, that would be a concern. It's not. Even pro players don't want to bother with it after the mid game.

Umm.. after the mid game? Well it's a good thing the Mothership Core comes in the early game then right?
Anyways, Chronoboost isn't as bad as you think, and even if it was Energize and Mass Recall have other applications for the Mothership Core's energy into the later game.
Edited by Fawxkitteh on 8/14/2012 10:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/11/2012 12:15 PMPosted by kavinh
Am i the only one who thinks this is gonna happen. instead of cheesing with cannons the enemy just builds a nexus inside the enemy and teleports the core in and uses that as a super cannon. It shouldn't be hard to get a core up by the time the nexus in the enemy base finishes since u can transport them and in early game a zealot or two don't have enough dps to stop a nexus from being produced.

No, that nexuses take forever to warp in, and that the mothership core is a kneecapped version of the mothership it will in fact prove to be easy pickings.
Reply Quote
08/11/2012 12:38 PMPosted by subjectDelta
As far as I know the Mothership core can only attack with the purifier ability which only lasts 20 seconds and costs 75 energy so I don't think it will be much of an issue.

I tested it out. It might only last 20 seconds, but during that time it will 1-shot his workers and any unlucky military units caught in the way. Its a good way to delay a rush, and wreck econ.

During this time, it is wise to get your econ up and tech while the opponent is totally scrambling to pull off a comeback.

9 Assimilator
10 Pylon
10 Core

Cut gas IMMEDIATELY after core begins building, focus on mins. Send probe to enemy base, nexus there. It is worth chronoing the core out.

Stop theorycrafting against things you havn't tested. This stuff WORKS.
Edited by EugeneTwo on 8/22/2012 12:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
an easy response then would be to expand as soon as you see the nexus going up. Then move your workers to the nat so nothing gets killed. once the 20 seconds are off you are up a base. Also the rushing player would be out a ton of resources and his tech would be very delayed.

your whole premise seems to be that they will let you get the rush off. That it will do significant damage putting his econ (and somehow tech) behind yours. all while doing nothing but sacrificing units to it.
Edited by Amorl on 8/22/2012 2:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
an easy response then would be to expand as soon as you see the nexus going up. Then move your workers to the nat so nothing gets killed. once the 20 seconds are off you are up a base. Also the rushing player would be out a ton of resources and his tech would be very delayed.

your whole premise seems to be that they will let you get the rush off. That it will do significant damage putting his econ (and somehow tech) behind yours. all while doing nothing but sacrificing units to it.

But the mothership core will still be standing and it will fry anything that gets into your base. You make it sound as though purify can only be used once.
Reply Quote
Planetary Fortress: Can have multiple dropped in opponents base with workers attached to heal and does nonstop aoe damage once up.

Mothership Core: Can only have one on a nexus that would need to be fully built WITHIN the opponents base and does damage based on energy for fifteen second durations.

Sounds legit man.
Reply Quote
it takes 100 seconds to build a nexus. at 2000 hp that means it takes 20 dps to kill a nexus before it dies. At an average armor of 0.5 (0 for sheilds 1 for hull) a worker has a dps of 3. That means 7 workers are enouph to take out a nexus being built before it finishes, with about a 5 second responce time window, bring 8 and you have about a 17 second window.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]