StarCraft® II

A Call for Tutorials!

(Sticky)

Community Manager
At Blizzard, everything we do is guided by our company’s core values. Among these values lies one in particular that we feel is especially important for the health and longevity of the mapmaking community: Learn and Grow. Already we have created a number of tutorials which deal with a wide range of topics for the StarCraft II Editor and we plan on producing more in the future. That being said, there are a number of talented individuals who have made great tutorials for a wide variety of external communities such as SC2Mapster and Hive Workshop. We understand that in order to best facilitate learning and growing with our own community we must provide easy access to the best learning materials out there. It is with this in mind that we are making "A Call For Tutorials!"

Ready to get started? Reply to this thread with links to any amazing tutorials that you feel are worth sharing. In order for a tutorial to be considered, it must meet a few basic qualifications. The tutorial must:

• Be written in English.
    • Not contain any broken links.
    • Have correct and up-to-date information.
    • Not contain profanity.
    • Has been proofed for grammar/spelling errors.
    • Benefit the community.

If your post meets these qualifications, we will include it this thread. In addition to highlighting existing tutorials, feel free to create a brand new tutorial and reply to this thread with a link for consideration.

We will be reviewing submitted tutorials as quickly as we can, but please help us along by prioritizing our process via the “Like” feature on the forum. We will review the tutorials with the most “Likes” first. Please only share one tutorial per post, so that the community can vote accordingly.

We look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Edited by Cloaken on 8/17/2012 4:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Introduction:
  • Getting Started with Map-Making

• AI:
  • Introduction to the AI Module

• Data:
  • Creating a Levelable Hero
  • Creating a Morph Ability

• Triggers:
  • Introduction to Arrays and Loops

• Custscene Editor:
  • Making Your First Cutscene
  • Edited by Aldrexus on 9/26/2012 1:22 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    I wasn't aware that blizz made map editor tutorials. Where can I find them?
    Reply Quote
    08/16/2012 07:02 PMPosted by xNCoMeT

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/

Look near the bottom right in the box labeled "ARCADE".
    Reply Quote
    08/16/2012 07:02 PMPosted by xNCoMeT
    Click on Cloaken's link that says "a number of tutorials"
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Technical Support
    Perhaps especially outstanding tutorials could get HOTS beta keys?
    Reply Quote
    what about the lag PROBLEM......
    Reply Quote
    http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/resources/tutorials/20772-data-actor-events-message-texture-select-by-id/#posts

Also I could use a hero tutorial, since all are broken/outdated.
    Do I win?
    Edited by IShadowWolf on 8/16/2012 8:29 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Developer
    I want to mention that this includes tutorials that not only have been created right here on the sc2 forums, but as part of external communities as well. Please include a link to them and we'll take a look!
    Reply Quote
    Never mind. Edited for the new rule.

Since my english is poor, I don't think any of the tutorial I once listed here include no grammatical mistakes.
    Edited by Renee on 8/17/2012 5:44 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    This is definitely a good idea. I'll definitely be posting a few of my tutorials here, hopefully they'll help a few people out.

Making your first cinematic
    A quick overview on making a very simple cinematic. This teaches the most important concepts, like navigation, keyframes, animation blocks, and cameras/directors. It's definitely only intended for people who are brand-new, as advanced concepts are not covered. Nevertheless, the tool is definitely confusing for people who aren't familiar with 3ds max or the adobe programs, and this should help out.

http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/development/cinematics/40932-tutorial-making-your-first-cutscene/#p1

If there's any inaccurate information, please let me know and I'll fix it up.
    Edited by Jman on 8/16/2012 10:29 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Sorry for hogging this space, but:

Cloaken you are so awesome!!!!!
    Reply Quote
    Oh man I need to update them all lol.
    Reply Quote
    Thanks for doing this; it's greatly appreciated!

Here's a basic guide that I wrote to help new map-makers get started with the editor:
    http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/5967956949
    Reply Quote
    Developer
    Additionally - as was mentioned in the original thread, please include one tutorial per post so that others may vote on the tutorials that they like.
    Reply Quote
    Community Manager
    Update the OP to formally include the request for one tutorial per post, as well as a request that all tutorials be proofed for spelling/grammatical errors. Woot!
    Reply Quote
    Ok, edited. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Reply Quote
    08/16/2012 08:24 PMPosted by IShadowWolf
    Also I could use a hero tutorial, since all are broken/outdated.

Try this one:

Here's my brand new hero tutorial, showing how to create a levelable hero with levelable abilities.
    http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6368307032
    Reply Quote
    Morph Ability:
    http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6368567199?page=1#0
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]