StarCraft® II

Campaign to long...???

I still don't understand Blizzards reasoning behind shortening the number of Campaign missions in Heart Of The Swarm... I mean come on this was your best answer "players were complaining that the campaign was to long in Wings Of Liberty"...... Really... =\ is that really the Reason? How the heck is a campaign going to be to long... If anything I personally wish wings of liberty had MORE Missions... come on guys... I find that very very hard to believe!
Reply Quote
agreed, in fact I felt the campaign in Wings of Liberty was pretty short, the entire campiagn consisted only of special scenarios, no normal battle to let you test out all of your special units and ability
Reply Quote
well if you think about it the original starcraft had 10 missions per race so 30 missions a game; WoL had 27 missions 4 of them were senario based choosing Tosh/Nova or Ariel Hansen/Executor Selendris, 4 were optional protoss missions 1 was a secret mission.
Thing is ppl have different play styles look around at any given thread there'll be ppl that haven't even touched the campaign some just play for the multiplayer for that segment of the Sc2 community any time spent on the single player campaign is too much time.
But to get to the point don't quote me on this one I think it was blizzcon 2010 where Chris Metzen said only 1% of the customer base had completed the campaign in Brutal mode so essencially some "fluff" missions may have been cut there's still 21 missions on this expansion from what I remember.
Reply Quote
08/21/2012 09:03 AMPosted by BladedThesis
But to get to the point don't quote me on this one I think it was blizzcon 2010 where Chris Metzen said only 1% of the customer base had completed the campaign in Brutal mode so essencially some "fluff" missions may have been cut there's still 21 missions on this expansion from what I remember.

I disagree, I personally think that a game with a longer campaign would be better. The reasoning behind the statistics of those who finish Brutal mode in the customer base could be purely for the reason that it was too hard for some of the 99% to finish? Personally, I tried the first few missions on Brutal difficulty and it was simply too challenging to defeat. Don't get me wrong, I love challenges, but if the challenge was nearly impossible for the specific user, then they may just be too frustrated to finish.
Edited by Element on 8/23/2012 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
"Too"
Reply Quote
Wasn't the whole point of voting for 3 seperate expansions vs having one game with all 3 races missions in it like SC1-SCBW to have each one have an equally long campaign? If that was not the case then they should have just released all 3 races mission on WoL. There was no need to seperate them since apparently no one cares about playing the campaign. Oh I mean because "WoL was wayyy toooooo long" Completely defeated the purpose of having 3 seperate games released.
Reply Quote
@zigystardust
I'm sorry to burst your bubble here, but Blizzard is a business. Businesses exist to make money by introducing a product into a market. While Blizzard may care a lot for their fans (which is where they get their profit), Blizzard simply exists to make money. They only way it would cease to be this way is if it became a non-profit organization which will never happen in a thousand years.
Reply Quote
don't you guy & gals GET IT!!! It's all about MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blizzard USED TO BE a company FOR THE FANS!!! but since they were bought out things have changed........and not for the better!!!!!! there is only 1 reason to make 3 seperate HOS campain expansions.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
dont believe me....???? REALLY???? take a LONG HARD LOOK AT DiabloIII can you say real $ auction!!!! they ruined that game spending too much time worring about there petty little money making auction crap and not enough time worring about what the fans, who WAITED 10 YEARS, were wanting/expecting.
so now they turn their glazed eyes towards SCII thinking what to do? they get a sudden brilliant idea........."let make three games so we can charge 3X the CASH!!!!!!" it's all about the money and for those of you who don't believe it your simply naive or are or fooling youselfs.....BADLY!! the length is a non issue for blizzard and for them to even release a statement saying that people complained the game is to long is insulting. people today want MORE for their hard earned money NOT LESS!!!!
if they go back to the Quality, for the fans games, that the OLD blizzard made, they would make a MOUNTAIN of CASH!!!! after all SC IS the official gams of S. Korea and it's their national pass time too. You don't get THAT EPIC by making games based on how much $ we can make. you get that by making a superior product that people want to play....over and over and over again. the payoff is that by making a product which is superior it then sells itself and makes you a MOUNTAIN of $!!! truthfully the length is nowhere near as important as the QUALITY OF THE GAME!!!!!!!!
='( I wish the old Blizzard Team was still here... ='( They would know what to do... ='( By the way I heard Diablo 3 really dissapointed... that is very sad to hear. I only played 1 and 2 but never really got into it like I did Starcraft... but It's sad to hear that a game so epic had an overall rating of 3.5 outta like 5 stars. Especially for a Diablo game... that's sad. And I honestly was thinking about buying it to try it out because obviously its Diablo 3 and was thinking it might have been nice looking graphic wise... but when I saw it on youtube I was not impressed at all with the graphics... and hearing all the hardcore fans rage negativly about it made it even less apealing to me, not to mention the fact that you can only play it if you have internet... what kinda BS is that. Saved myself 70 bucks.
Edited by Reptile on 8/23/2012 10:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/23/2012 10:34 AMPosted by Reptile
Blizzard USED TO BE a company FOR THE FANS

HAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Putting company and the name of the company in the same sentence with "FOR THE FANS!!!" is the most delusional thing you could ever do.
Edited by StratosTygo on 8/23/2012 3:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Even though I still think Diablo is nowhere as memorable and interesting as Blizzard's other franchises, I gotta say Diablo III is the first game of the series I actually ended up enjoying. And considering Blizzard's continuous efforts to support and improve the game, I guess it's safe to say they do care about the fans.
Reply Quote
Since they were planning a longer campaign until players complained this should give them plenty of time to make a lot more custom and challenge maps. I'm really looking forward to those! In all seriousness though SC2 was the last Blizzard game where I really felt like they gave you a great amount of content. I hope they don't skimp in HoTS but it sounds like the opposite is already happening.
Reply Quote
Then again, remember Brood War? Shorter campaigns, but the missions were a massive improvement in terms of pacing, design and difficulty. Maybe Blizzard realized they went a bit overboard with WoL and thus decided to go for a shorter yet tighter experience in HotS.
Reply Quote
i guess i could consider my self part of the 1% then. but on the topic yes i would consider then campaign long but not too long actually i found it to be pretty good to play.
Reply Quote
08/20/2012 08:34 PMPosted by Reptile
I still don't understand Blizzards reasoning behind shortening the number of Campaign missions in Heart Of The Swarm... I mean come on this was your best answer "players were complaining that the campaign was to long in Wings Of Liberty"...... Really... =\ is that really the Reason? How the heck is a campaign going to be to long... If anything I personally wish wings of liberty had MORE Missions... come on guys... I find that very very hard to believe!

Because creating a new mission takes time, and they wanted to get HOTS out this lifetime.
Reply Quote
Well if you think about it WoL had 29 missions, 4 of which were protoss and 3 missions that had a choice/path you could take. taking out the protoss missions would put that down to 25 missions and taking out the other 3 path missions puts to even farther down to 22. Now with that said, we do know if there are 20 missions for sure but that doesn't necessarily mean that includes path missions.
Reply Quote
Although I am a fan of the game being split into three games. I still wish for more Terran missions. If we beg for it, maybe they will make them in some form of DLC? If you don't like it, dont buy it ;-)
Reply Quote
I am working on getting the Sarah Kerrigan portrait from being the 1% who did it on Brutal but Safe Haven and the mission with Hybrid Maar are annoying as heck. Could Maar always teleport back to the Preservers or is this just something he does on brutal, because I didn't see that on hard with my DT army.

In any case, Blizz will probably (sadly) make the missions easier, yet (happily) make them more fun and interactive (and believeable).
Reply Quote
08/23/2012 03:12 PMPosted by StratosTygo
Blizzard USED TO BE a company FOR THE FANS

HAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Putting company and the name of the company in the same sentence with "FOR THE FANS!!!" is the most delusional thing you could ever do.
... So you are trying to say that Blizzard does not care about their fans?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]