Creep Tumor Pathing

How about pathing for creep tumors.

Allow it so that once you select a creep tumor, it shows creep-spread-area for each pathed tumor and will automatically spawn once the creep has reached that pathed tumor.

Creep tumors are a cool idea, but it's a huge APM sink for Zerg and tends to only be used at extremely high levels of play because lower level players just don't have the APM to spare to use it.
Reply Quote
No. Creep is fun to spread.
Reply Quote
First it would be quite op, the entire map would be full of creep if you mass a wave at your base and you wouldn't have to do anything.
Second it's a nice game mechanic that gives another task to make your macro harder, as zerg has the best macro.

That's my opinion.
Reply Quote
This would easily make the game unbalanced for the other races. The creep would easily cover an entire map, like what Puhlk said. Other than that, you don't need creep spread to win. I personally, am a diamond Zerg and have avoided creep spread for the sole purpose that I don't see it as an essential mechanic in the game.
Reply Quote
08/21/2012 10:39 AMPosted by Element
This would easily make the game unbalanced for the other races. The creep would easily cover an entire map, like what Puhlk said. Other than that, you don't need creep spread to win. I personally, am a diamond Zerg and have avoided creep spread for the sole purpose that I don't see it as an essential mechanic in the game.

I disagree. Creep is extremely easy to kill. At times, I've been pretty diligent about spreading creep and it didn't unbalance the game anymore than positioning Overlords to see the map. The entire Hydra speed buff is because hardly no one is using creep spread. Plus, most game end before you can spread creep via tumors, even through half of the map. The problem with creep tumors is it requires way too much APM for an activity that doesn't effect the game too much. Pathing for creep tumors would still require the same amount of APM, it's just front loaded, instead of getting lost in the more important aspects of micro and macro.
Reply Quote
08/21/2012 04:40 PMPosted by Munqaxus
hardly no one

what
Reply Quote
It's not happening.
Reply Quote
This is like the Auto Inject and Auto MULE argument. I think we've had enough of these.
Reply Quote
Pathing for creep spread isn't a bad idea. Perhaps making it so that creep spreads in the direction you spawned the tumour (IE, if you spawn a tumour in the north of the existing one, the creep spreads north before anywhere else) would be a good idea? It would allow for faster spread of the creep highway, while still requiring the player to actually do something. 'Sall good, man.
Edited by Justin on 8/26/2012 8:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If you can't handle the APM requirements of spreading your creep, you don't deserve the vision and speed bonus from it.
Reply Quote
i can creep spread on my own just fine but if it didnt need any sight to be spread id be happy with just that
Reply Quote
in HOTS you will be able to acces creep drop from evo chamber, that means that you weill be able to double your creep spread early and mid game. You should, if you do it right, have half the map covered by 8 or so mins. from there you can start to take your attention off the spread as you go into the late game and you start to have more things to worry about.
Reply Quote
It is a very good idea. Presently, spreading creep is tedious busy work that detracts from fun battle micro.

Will this increase the effectiveness of creep spread? Of course! Just nerf creep spread speed to balance things out...this is so simple. Automatic but slower creep will spread is as fast as manual but faster creep, because missed creep cycles from manual propagation balances out.

It is not of the job of SC2 to create carpal tunnel inducing non-strategic busy work. APM should be on strategy, micro, creativity and battles. This is no strategy to spreading creep...it's basically spread as fast and as far as you can! The only specific strategic variant is the initiation source (which can be still set manually) and the direction of the creep spread, which could be set by a pathing queue like a patrol point.
Reply Quote
It is a very good idea. Presently, spreading creep is tedious busy work that detracts from fun battle micro.

Will this increase the effectiveness of creep spread? Of course! Just nerf creep spread speed to balance things out...this is so simple. Automatic but slower creep will spread is as fast as manual but faster creep, because missed creep cycles from manual propagation balances out.

It is not of the job of SC2 to create carpal tunnel inducing non-strategic busy work. APM should be on strategy, micro, creativity and battles. This is no strategy to spreading creep...it's basically spread as fast and as far as you can! The only specific strategic variant is the initiation source (which can be still set manually) and the direction of the creep spread, which could be set by a pathing queue like a patrol point.

^^^This

Creep tumor spread ends up just being an APM sink and doesn't really have any strategy.
Reply Quote
creep gives vision of the map. It takes no supply, no minerals or gas (yes queens but they are useful for much more beyond creep). It needs some cost to it, or it's just free map vision and movement speed just for zerg. That cost is apm.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]