StarCraft® II

where is the new nydus?

beta is coming soon, but we haven't heard any news or seen any of the new nydus networks. I hope you haven't forgotten blizzard, but you never showed us the new nydus so it better be in the beta!

We are also trying some additional abilities on the nydus network to allow you to spawn different types of nydus worms. The most interesting worms have been a worm that can spew creep across several screens to create a zerg assault highway, as well as a worm that attacks only enemy buildings, meant to be used as a ground-based zerg base raider.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/4833874/
Edited by emc on 8/28/2012 4:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I forgot which but thier was an interview at Summer MLG I believe, and they said they still had it, but it just it wasn't in the build yet. (texture/animation fixes)
Reply Quote
08/28/2012 04:29 PMPosted by Jett
I forgot which but thier was an interview at Summer MLG I believe, and they said they still had it, but it just it wasn't in the build yet. (texture/animation fixes)

and it wasn't shown at IEM either, which according to this thread here:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=361373

another build was shown 1 month later, and still no nydus. I only bring this up because I'm afraid blizzard might cut the idea to get the game out faster.
Reply Quote
At the very least, it will probably make its way into the single-player campaign.
Reply Quote
08/28/2012 06:35 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
At the very least, it will probably make its way into the single-player campaign.

not the answer im looking for quite frankly.

in my original post, I quoted david kims comment on nydus for MULTIPLAYER balance, so it means this isn't a SP only idea, and I seriously hope they didn't change that mentality.
Edited by emc on 8/28/2012 7:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It was confirmed in an interview at the MLG Spring Championship that the only reason we haven't seen the new nydus worms are because the art was incomplete. Also just for clarification's sake, they are new worms, all three will still be built from the nydus network. If memory serves in that interview they also let slip that the worms were planned for being featured in the Heart of the Swarm box art.
Since the MLG Summer Championship and Gamescom etc. were only a few months from then, I'm not surprised the art still was not done. After all the window mine doesn't have its art done either only a placeholder. The nydus worms are big and rather iconic in appearance, it'll serve as some extra incentive to pick up the game.

Honestly, I'm very pleased to hear Blizzard really wants to encourage and see more nydus worms in tournaments. They add some dynamic to the game that we don't currently see all that often. Sort of how I really enjoy seeing Terran players finally adopting the use of the Raven. My fears for HotS lie with Protoss, I'm not so sure about how their current Stargate units will live up. Zerg is supposedly the most stable race of the three currently and we are receiving a ton of unit changes/improvements, so I've no fears.
Edited by Pain on 8/29/2012 12:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@ emc

Don't worry. So long as it will make its way into the finished game, it will be available in the Galaxy Editor and someone is bound to put it in a multiplayer custom map.
Reply Quote
@ emc

Don't worry. So long as it will make its way into the finished game, it will be available in the Galaxy Editor and someone is bound to put it in a multiplayer custom map.

yea, i dont want it in custom maps, i want it in the final game. and if the beta is coming soon, and we still haven't seen any nydus art, it bothers me. Art is always ahead of production, almost always, so they must be having a lot of trouble with it, or they've given up on the idea. so beta comes soon, and still no artwork? has me believing that they might just skip the notion altogether, and make it a SP only feature if they dont include it in beta.

this thread is to remind them that we still want new nydus networks, they are seriously a thorn in WoL's side as a cool looking building, but absolutely suck
Edited by emc on 8/29/2012 12:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Judging from their intended roles, Zerg needing more methods of spreading creep, and base harassment beyond Mutas, I think there is a decent possibility for it.
However, Overlords spreading creep at the Evolution Chamber, and the Swarm Hosts might fill those roles well enough.
The Nydus is rather lacking though, so hopefully they can come up with something else for it, if those roles end up not being what they want.

Art is always ahead of production, almost always

Unless someone quickly made the new Nydus Worms in the editor while the artists were busy with HotS as a concept.
Edited by Fawxkitteh on 8/29/2012 2:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Really there should be no fear, they'll be in the beta guaranteed.

Blizzard isn't going to toss out designs for their latest crap with how close the beta is. The worms live or die depending on how the beta goes. The art for them might not be complete for the final product, but you should get your initial glimpses during the beta at the very least.
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa-IZ_Y98L0

Happy? ;)
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 9/4/2012 11:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa-IZ_Y98L0

Happy? ;)

This had better not be in Multiplayer or that would be the end of all competitive Protoss and Terran play. Just saying.
It looks absolutely awesome though.
Reply Quote
This had better not be in Multiplayer or that would be the end of all competitive Protoss and Terran play. Just saying.
It looks absolutely awesome though.

The build time was removed in the replay.
200 minerals, 2 supply. My question is, what do you do after you waste too much supply on Worms? Go kill them?
Reply Quote
Maybe they will be given the option to "retract" or something.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 9/5/2012 7:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The build time was removed in the replay.
200 minerals, 2 supply. My question is, what do you do after you waste too much supply on Worms? Go kill them?

It gives you a rapid forwards defense that is very strong, and allows you to push right into their base with a massive Creep trail that stays for a long time. If you get multiple Nydus Networks you can Place down all three at once, making you instantly jump into their base and attack rapidly and powerfully.
Reply Quote
It gives you a rapid forwards defense that is very strong

Against the buildings they throw at you? Destroyer Worms can only attack buildings, meaning you could kill them with workers if they popped into your main and only lose mining time.

They could help kill their wall, but with their low health and apparently low dps, the enemy army better be far away.
Edited by Fawxkitteh on 9/6/2012 12:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yay, I was wondering what Nydus Destroyer and Creep Tower looked like, because I know the model names for many HOTS units but not a lot about what they look like.

Creep Tower looks like an infested, upside-down lampshade that is partially stuffed with purple meatloaf. Sick.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]