StarCraft® II

Swarm Host/ locust:cliff jump ability?

hey Blizzard and other SC2 players how would you feel if the Swarm Host (SH) locust spawns had the ability to cliff jump or cliff crawl or cliff burrow? ( for a more zergy feel) i can see from other posts the SH isnt in a very favorable light and people may be inclined not to use the SH too much BUT if the locust it spawned had a way to climb/ burrow up and down cliffs, how would that feel to you guys?
Reply Quote
Swarm host is strong and really good, in my opinion anyone complaining about them just wants a reason to fill this foruns with even more qq.
Reply Quote
umm no Philik this is not a reason to simply fill forums this is a genuine idea i had. and no locusts arent that great either they arent really used for much but breaking tank lines, all it takes is an observer and a quick scanner sweep to kill the lot of them. im just tryin 2 make the locust more interesting! F&*K why ppl gotta keep S^&ttin' on ppls post?? leave a positive comment or dont leave anything, no one wanted ur negative opinions
Reply Quote
That's a horrible idea. It would not be balanced in the slightest.
Reply Quote
why would you say that jaymz? its just a simple cliff-jump why would that be terribly imbalanced?
Reply Quote
09/02/2012 02:46 PMPosted by Graves
why would you say that jaymz? its just a simple cliff-jump why would that be terribly imbalanced?

For one, you couldn't play against Zerg on any map that uses simple single height cliffs (i.e. most of the current pool) as natural walls. Second swarmlings or whatever are free and entirely disposable, this would force the opponent to have to immediately find and confront the hosts in order to prevent an entirely one sided loss since merely defending against the spawn is only going to cost them money. Third, units that cliff walk are entirely designed around cliff walking and this would force the dev. team to completely redesign one unit based around a mechanic that Zerg has never had or needed up to now.
Reply Quote
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude, but take a look at the battle reports and you'll see that they do much more than just break tank lines and that they won't insta die to detection because they are supposed to have other units, not a SH only army, so I see them as a free strong meatshield that can even do some damage before dying and will tank the first wave of shoots for your army.

But talking about the cliff idea, I think it takes away position and map use from the non-zerg player, on the other hand it requires both from the zerg on the SH.
Finally, I agree with BadHabit that on maps where your protection is cliffs (most of them), a good wave of SH on the side of your main plus the main army at the front door would be extremely hard to handle.

beforehand, you can do the same with colossus, why aren't them OP so?

Because once the colossus is dead it is dead, there won't be more coming, and you have to micro both them and your army, the SH can simply set a rally point and keep spawning.
Reply Quote
ahh well i do suppose you have a point there, guys, ahh damn well...dont really have much to say now, well shoot idk well just have to see how its used ( well how i use it)
Reply Quote
from what i have seen most people are using the swarm host incorrectly. dont clump them all together burrow them individually spread out spaced out so only one can be detected at a time. get the duration upgrade and rally all of them with staggered spawns to the enemy base.

if you do this not only does it make your swarm hosts harder to find and kill but it also makes the locusts take multiple paths and increases their chances of finding an enemy unit to attack.

also it looks sick and feels zergy as !@#$ seeing locusts crawling all over the map constantly
Reply Quote
from what i have seen most people are using the swarm host incorrectly. dont clump them all together burrow them individually spread out spaced out so only one can be detected at a time. get the duration upgrade and rally all of them with staggered spawns to the enemy base.

if you do this not only does it make your swarm hosts harder to find and kill but it also makes the locusts take multiple paths and increases their chances of finding an enemy unit to attack.

also it looks sick and feels zergy as !@#$ seeing locusts crawling all over the map constantly

Yeah, or you could burrow them all and turn off the autocast, then turn it on for each Swarm Host in turn, making them come in a constant stream, and have a larger clump come every once in awhile to spice it up a little.

If the army tries to defend against the Locusts, send some Mutas to kill the workers and draw him away from his defenses, letting your Locusts kill stuff. It works perfectly. :D
Reply Quote
09/02/2012 02:46 PMPosted by Graves

1. swarm hosts are already very good, possibly too good but it's too early to tell.
2. you would have to let a full wave of locusts at their target because you need to go the long way around to get at the swarm hosts.
Reply Quote
There are campaign models for Flying Locusts spawned from what I think is called a Creeper, a purplish, spiky version of the Swarm Host. So, it seems Blizz had the idea already.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]