Proposal for Story (raynors fall)

Hey guys,

I have a proposal for you all. or i guess it could be considered a challenge! :)

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6470437146

In this thread i have reasoned a general outline for a fanfic story about Raynor and his changes from how he was in BW to how he is in WOL. I feel that such a story would go far to resolve alot of the disparities with the depictions of the characters in WOL from BW. Unfortunately i dont have the experience or creativity to write a book about those years.

So i thought id post here as many people here seem to have good story writing experience.

To be clear i am talking about a full length novel ( 150 to 200 pages), or a large series of short novellas ( 20-50 pages each) that cover the idiosyncrasies in the story and help bridge the gap between WOL and BW while telling Raynor's personal story post BW up to WOL intro. The story would need to include Drama, action, a good plot and most importantly convey an atmosphere of increasing helplessness and despair. Read the article in the link to get a more detailed understanding of why this needs to be.

Blizzard's actions have shown they do not really care about a coherent story. As such any book forthcoming from blizzard would probably not be for many years if at all, leaving this gaping hole unresolved. Unless we, the fans, fill it.

I know this is asking a lot of people but hopefully someone will care enough about the story to give it a real try.

Good luck!!
Reply Quote
Yeah. . . we write for fun and for creativity. This isnt either.
Reply Quote
why wouldn't it be exactly? just because the story is of a characters fall doesn't mean it can't be fun to write. not everything has to be all ponies and rainbows for it to be deep and compelling.

Writing about a character who loses everything he ever believed in can be a very moving and compelling piece. I don't see why this can't be fun. shrug
Reply Quote
why wouldn't it be exactly? just because the story is of a characters fall doesn't mean it can't be fun to write. not everything has to be all ponies and rainbows for it to be deep and compelling.

Writing about a character who loses everything he ever believed in can be a very moving and compelling piece. I don't see why this can't be fun. shrug

Have you ever tried writing a book? When someone tells you the plot, story, and all of the characters without being able to make up their character, then it is incredibly dull. For example, the first story I wrote here was horrible because I planned everything out to the letter.
In my second story, I wrote out a rough timeline, and started writing. Because of the looseness of the plan, I can improvise, introduce new Ideas, make edits to the story to make it flow better, and even delete scenes if they aren't so good.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/5793909425
Writing memories was much more entertaining, because I had those freedoms.
In otherwords, being commissioned to write something, being buggered about the interpretations of the character, and following an exact script is for most people very dull.
Edited by Fantasy on 9/2/2012 6:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
^^ What Fantasy said, you have to let it come naturally, you can't just be given the plot.
Reply Quote
09/02/2012 06:58 AMPosted by CrymsonRaven
^^ What Fantasy said, you have to let it come naturally, you can't just be given the plot.

i dont see it sorry. You say im giving you the plot but thats not true, ya sure, the ending of BW means the first ten pages of the novel is already written and the beginning of WOL means sos the last ten pages.

But there is a four year story in there that is almost completely open.

Raynor went through a BIG change in personality in those four years, a LOT has to have happened to him for that.

In my second story, I wrote out a rough timeline, and started writing. Because of the looseness of the plan, I can improvise, introduce new Ideas, make edits to the story to make it flow better, and even delete scenes if they aren't so good.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/5793909425
Writing memories was much more entertaining, because I had those freedoms.

thats basically what i did right? rough timeline --> end of BW Raynor vows revenge, on char. some point in time he tries to kill kerrigan, fails--> some point in time he returns to terran space and fights mensk, fails --> WOL.

ok so that four years and i wrote what three things? thats hardly telling you the plot. If anything theres tons of space to do whatever you want with him. heres some questions i can think of just off the top of my head. please note these are example, i am totally not saying anyone has to use these. Do w/e u want with it, be creative.

What happened to his original raynors raiders? What was his relationship with them like? Did they die? Did he have another love interest? If so how did he lose her?

Did he immediately try to go after kerrigan? What happened with kerrigan? Did he try to kill her like he said in BW? He failed if he did but how far did he get? Did they talk? What was said? Did she infest him? Did she infest his crew? How did whatever happened affect him?
what happened with mengsk? How did mengsk get into power so easily? how did raynor initially oppose him? how did mengsk succeed in marginalizing raynor?

maybe all of that only takes up 10 more pages, but the REAL story has never been told....what else did he do? where did he go? theres 4 years and an entire universe to explore?

so ya i think you got a lot of room to be creative and work up your own plot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]