StarCraft® II

Please remove the automining!

Watching Husky play the HotS beta I saw how at the start of every game (even on ladder), the workers are automatically sent to the minerals. This is ridiculous. Why would you do that? Is it really an issue? Are some players so terrible they need to have their workers automatically sent to the minerals?

Blizzard, PLEASE STOP DUMBING DOWN THE GAME! It's not like this makes a huge difference or breaks the game. But DAMMIT I like sending my workers to mine by myself, thank you! This is a completely unnecessary change that just feels wrong. What's next? Being able to right click the build worker button so it will automatically keep a constant production throughout the game?
Reply Quote
sometimes if the game lags at the beginning, your workers can be a few seconds slower to mine minerals than the other guy, and it can mess you up a little. I'm imagining that is why. Is it a huge deal? No, probably not. But I can see why they did it and its not worth getting upset about.
Reply Quote
Is it really an issue?

Good question, so why'd you make a thread about it?

Blizzard, PLEASE STOP DUMBING DOWN THE GAME!

Yeah Blizzard, how dare you allow us to select more than 12 units, let us select mutliple buildings, or rally workers straight to minerals!

But DAMMIT I like sending my workers to mine by myself, thank you!

Then uncheck the option that says "automatically send workers to mine and rally town hall"

Being able to right click the build worker button so it will automatically keep a constant production throughout the game?

You can already do that. Pick Terran or Protoss and queue queue some more.
Edited by Fawxkitteh on 9/4/2012 11:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/04/2012 11:26 PMPosted by Fawxkitteh
Is it really an issue?

Yeah Blizzard, how dare you allow us to select more than 12 units, let us select mutliple buildings, or rally workers straight to minerals!

Then uncheck the option that says "automatically send workers to mine and rally town hall"

Being able to right click the build worker button so it will automatically keep a constant production throughout the game?

Owned.
Reply Quote
Is it really an issue?

I was about to respond but this guy owned it on every front.
Reply Quote

Some people actually don't like this. I don't really mind, but I do think there should be a limit to automating. Should we make larva inject autocastable? Or creep tumors? Or mules?

I sure will. But that's not the point. Automining starts instantly, making it maybe even more efficient than manual splitting since an average human being can't react instantly. Most people have around 1 second delay. I don't like games getting more noob-friendly. maybe that's just me but it annoys me how much the video game industry in general has become so noob-friendly. I think there is no good reason to make this change in the game and it takes away something that was very important symbolically for the game, IMO. (Some people say it's to fix the game-start lag issue, but it's still not completely solved anyway, if a player lags then his first worker is behind as well so...)

That's not autocast. Queuing pretty much anything is suboptimal and will hurt your game. Queu away mate, but you'll have a pretty lousy economy. I meant AUTOCAST worker production. So as soon as a worker finishes building a new one starts right away without the player having to manually do it. Wouldn't that be convenient? *hint: this is called sarcasm, it is obvious this is ridiculous, but I think automine is quite ridiculous as well.
Edited by Jusseppe on 9/5/2012 9:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Also, it will most likely be in the game no matter what. So what do you care if I'm not ok with this?
Reply Quote
I really think this is cool. My brother and I don't have the quickest computers in the world, and a perfect split at the beginning every time would be awesome. If it bothers some players, why can't blizzard just have an option to turn this on or off, or even when you get to Diamond+ it puts you in a hardcore mode, and automatically turns it off?
Reply Quote
I like it. it isn't an auto split, so you can still do that, and it helps people who lag at the start. I know personally I rarely get to do anything until the 3 second mark. This is the compromise. People have been saying since SC2 came out that the countdown timer should be after the load and not before, thus eliminating the lag. Blizzard recognizes this problem but are still too proud to change their all mighty countdown timer.
Reply Quote
Should we make larva inject autocastable? Or creep tumors? Or mules?

Contrary to popular belief, sometimes Terran scan rather than drop Mules. They even occaisionally *gasp* call down supplies.
The thing is, these have alternate choices.

I meant AUTOCAST worker production. So as soon as a worker finishes building a new one starts right away without the player having to manually do it.

Same here. You might choose to cut worker production to start your next building. There is no choice involved about whether to send your workers to mine or not, you're going to do it.

I don't like games getting more noob-friendly. maybe that's just me but it annoys me how much the video game industry in general has become so noob-friendly.

I can really agree with you here. I grew up on nintendo games, so I'm used to repeated failure in an attempt to become successful. That's why I've loved games like Prinny, Monster Hunter, and Dark Souls, La Mulana... they've retained that level of difficulty, frustration, and ultimate accomplishment.
However, E-sports kind of needs to be accessible to people who don't play games much, in order to gain the popularity it deserves. Also, making some mechanics easier does not necessarily detract from the skill required to play, as it is still a player vs player game. It also can allow skilled players to focus more on the interesting aspects of strategy, rather than mind numbing repetition.
Edited by Fawxkitteh on 9/6/2012 6:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I can really agree with you here. I grew up on nintendo games, so I'm used to repeated failure in an attempt to become successful. That's why I've loved games like Prinny, Monster Hunter, and Dark Souls, La Mulana... they've retained that level of difficulty, frustration, and ultimate accomplishment.
However, E-sports kind of needs to be accessible to people who don't play games much, in order to gain the popularity it deserves. Also, making some mechanics easier does not necessarily detract from the skill required to play, as it is still a player vs player game. It also can allow skilled players to focus more on the interesting aspects of strategy, rather than mind numbing repetition.

Yeah you're probably right. Specially with LoL getting so big. Maybe it's just my nostalgia making me sound like a close minded old man. These changes won't actually affect gameplay much, but I just don't like them. Will probably get used to them pretty fast thou.
Reply Quote
Bliz is focusing on the wrong crap. Make an auto creep spread with spines like in sc1/bw
Reply Quote
09/07/2012 05:34 AMPosted by moobyburger
Bliz is focusing on the wrong crap. Make an auto creep spread with spines like in sc1/bw

go back to starcraft one since it's so superior in your mind. Go enjoy inferior controls and call yourself pro with your APM spam. Obviously your too closeminded to allow others to get on your level. Hell, maybe all the micro they are taking from you is what's kept bronze league from steamrolling your face every match
Reply Quote
auto-mining isnt really a big issue dude its 2 clicks not that big a deal not like its changing the WHOLE game experience
Reply Quote
Watching Husky play the HotS beta I saw how at the start of every game (even on ladder), the workers are automatically sent to the minerals. This is ridiculous. Why would you do that? Is it really an issue? Are some players so terrible they need to have their workers automatically sent to the minerals?

Blizzard, PLEASE STOP DUMBING DOWN THE GAME! It's not like this makes a huge difference or breaks the game. But DAMMIT I like sending my workers to mine by myself, thank you! This is a completely unnecessary change that just feels wrong. What's next? Being able to right click the build worker button so it will automatically keep a constant production throughout the game?

Seriously? If it's not that big a deal why are you making a big deal out of it? They said it was because people who don't have super good comps to be able to get mining even with a lag spike at the start.
It isn't dumbing down the game, it's called "Improvement".

09/08/2012 02:21 AMPosted by rocketdrive

go back to starcraft one since it's so superior in your mind. Go enjoy inferior controls and call yourself pro with your APM spam. Obviously your too closeminded to allow others to get on your level. Hell, maybe all the micro they are taking from you is what's kept bronze league from steamrolling your face every match

.....what? do you even know what the hell you're talking about? Your response doesn't even relate to what he said. Next time think before you rage.
Reply Quote
09/05/2012 09:06 PMPosted by Jusseppe
I sure will. But that's not the point. Automining starts instantly, making it maybe even more efficient than manual splitting since an average human being can't react instantly. Most people have around 1 second delay.

You chose to Un-Check the box dumbass.

Face it. Everyone is against you.
Reply Quote
You chose to Un-Check the box dumbass.

Face it. Everyone is against you.

Lol dude, read post 11 and chill. It's not good for you to rage so hard about nonsense.
Only thing I meant with that is: if automining turned out to be in fact more efficient than regular old fashioned manual splitting then why even give the option to toggle it on and off? But who knows, maybe thats not the case.
Edited by Jusseppe on 9/10/2012 4:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Maybe not everyone is a professional gamer. Maybe some of us just do it to unwind and relax, and don't want to be frustrated by something that's meant to be enjoyable. You don't have to use it, so quit complaining.
Reply Quote
What I don't understand here is why everyone overreacts to what is just someone's (not so) humble opinion. Unless you happen to be a President/Prime Minister/Supreme Leader of the Daleks, you really shouldn't rage, and if you happen to be a person, you shouldn't rage because it will reduce your lifespan.
Reply Quote
Lets turn this into Starcraft Ghost, where automining always exists... or maybe, LoL dominion.
Oh wait. This is supposed to be a real time strategy game. If you wanted automining, just play a team game with a player designated to be the "auto miner". I won't say noob-friendly games are a bad thing, its just that, what fun is it when you play protoss all the time? yes. protoss players basically have automine, because 1 worker is required. I feel like it will be a pain to build more units if they autocast mine. I feel it should be an option for the player, maybe like a game mod, but that it should not be included on the ladder. (Basically, a ladder for players that have autocast set on every thing useful, and a ladder for players who actually take pride in their EPM). Overaction to the issue? I think so. But just a thought.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]