StarCraft® II

HotS Quick Questions & Answers Thread

10/05/2012 04:34 PMPosted by TheSkunk
Anyone have any new questions? =D

I asked some questions about void siphon in another thread

Will this effect draw scenario since it is a means of gaining minerals? Also can this ability stack(as in like 10 oracles all hit one building?) Will it still be able to use other spells/recharge energy while siphoning?

Also one more thing does it work on building structures?
Edited by FinalRequiem on 10/5/2012 6:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
10/05/2012 06:06 PMPosted by SoN
Does anyone know when the beta wave will be finished sending out the keys?

Should be finished now. It started hours ago, and an official thread just went up now in the beta forums.

10/05/2012 06:10 PMPosted by FinalRequiem
Anyone have any new questions? =D

I asked some questions about void siphon in another thread

Will this effect draw scenario since it is a means of gaining minerals? Also can this ability stack(as in like 10 oracles all hit one building?) Will it still be able to use other spells/recharge energy while siphoning?

It could effect a draw situation in theory, but in practicality it never will.

It can stack. As many Oracles as you want can channel it on one building at a time.

Will recharge energy while channeling, but you can't use other spells.
Reply Quote
I don't know if anyone already ask you this question but I'll just ask.

Is the Widow mine Unstable Payload a splash damage or single target?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft

Does both splash and single target damage, like before. Its pretty much the exact same (save for stat changes) except it shoots a re-loadable missile rather than itself.
Reply Quote

Does both splash and single target damage, like before. Its pretty much the exact same (save for stat changes) except it shoots a re-loadable missile rather than itself.

Ok thank. I find the Widow mine pretty tough to deal with. Good at map control too.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft

Ok thank. I find the Widow mine pretty tough to deal with. Good at map control too.

Well, look on the bright side -- you can't turn off auto-cast anymore, and it will target units like Changelings and Locusts now. I think this is a bigger nerf then people think. ;)
Reply Quote
Well this is dumb than :(( TL said they gave blizzard all the beta invite winners and I was one of them. I received no hots key T,T
Reply Quote

Well, look on the bright side -- you can't turn off auto-cast anymore, and it will target units like Changelings and Locusts now. I think this is a bigger nerf then people think. ;)

Maybe you're right. After all, it's day 1 since the new balance patch updated. Maybe someone can find a way to deal these guy.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
10/05/2012 06:41 PMPosted by SoN
Well this is dumb than :(( TL said they gave blizzard all the beta invite winners and I was one of them. I received no hots key T,T

I would try and get in contact with TL, then. Its possible you gave them the wrong info (you sent them your Battle.net address, the one you log in with?) or they screwed up.

Maybe you're right. After all, it's day 1 since the new balance patch updated. Maybe someone can find a way to deal these guy.

I think it will be harder as Protoss then Terran, but thats just me. Less cheap units to suicide vs it then you have as Zerg.

I recommend a cannon for defense until you get an Obs, but I haven't been able to try it yet so I don't really know how that'd work or if its necessary.
Edited by TheSkunk on 10/5/2012 6:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I got in contact with TL and they said they gave blizz the emails.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
10/05/2012 06:47 PMPosted by SoN
I got in contact with TL and they said they gave blizz the emails.

My bad -- I was thinking of the other TL (cheerful) giveaway. Not 100% sure anyone from this contest was flagged yet or not.

Even still, if you gave them the wrong email that would cause you to not be flagged. Presuming you did; I'm waiting for a reply from the Blues as to whether you even ought to be flagged yet.

Anyway, there is nothing else I can do to help you. Sorry that you've not been flagged yet, though =/
Edited by TheSkunk on 10/5/2012 6:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The new Widow Mine seriously scares the bejeezus out of me...

I have not played against it yet, but a cloaked missile turret that can hit cloaked units?

Man... That's gonna be tough to deal with, especially since they do full damage to Immortal shields, and any detonation will damage stalkers trying to snipe them with obs in range.

Hell, I think that the guy who made the Observer range upgrade suggestion has a VALID reason to want this upgrade now... lol
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
10/05/2012 08:13 PMPosted by HeReTiC
Will the ragdoll death animations that Blizzard is working on for HotS be optional for people who prefer the current death animations of WoL?

They were never made to replace current death animations. They're situational - if a Siege Tank kills a Hydralisk, it flys into the air using ragdolls, but if a Zealot kills it, it uses the good old fashioned WoL death animation.

Nevertheless, I expect it will be tied to a graphical option like "physics" and you can turn it off -- it just might lower some other things in the process. Maybe editing your variables.txt file you could disable just it, though.

10/05/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Zamara
I have not played against it yet, but a cloaked missile turret that can hit cloaked units?

Yes.

Haha, was the only sentence of yours that ended in a question mark.. =)
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
I didn't really want to bump this without anything new to say or anything -- so I hereby announce that I updated the index to include every single question ever asked in this thread: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6489880526?page=1#3

Took quite a while to do. o.0
Edited by TheSkunk on 10/10/2012 10:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
The paitent looks at me from his bed.
"What is it doc?"
I take my glasses of and look slightly up.
"I've estimated your chances of getting into beta. Though you might want to know, they are not to good."

First wave was pro\press\F&F only, so discounting that:

Wave 2 was 8,000
Wave 3 was 12,000
Wave 4 was 7,000
Wave 5 was 12,000

Shows about how many have gone out.
Chances are pretty darn low right now. They prioritize people who have played once in the last 6 months, but its still possible for someone who has never played SC2 to get a key.

Considering the amount of SC2 players, estimated to be 3,444,429, and turning the estimated number of about 90 thousand beta players, we do in fact get a number less than 1 %. But not to mention the number of opt ins, but my head hurts to much to calculate that in, I should think that that number will decrease the percentage a bit though.

EDIT - you should also think about the current number of active players... OUCH MY HEAD!

So your odds, not so good. Because based off an even ten waves, which totals around 90k-120k, the percentage is still less than one.

~proud to be a wave 1 tester!

Ouch.... My head :C

So, at the estimates I made, which are very optimal, you still have like only a 1% chance......
I left some room in my calculations and numbers, to provide a more likely range.

Remember those numbers I made are logical estimates.
Edited by Duke on 10/10/2012 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Since the Widow Mine is no longer a 'mine', will there be a name change to this unit? I think the idea of hitting cloaked units is great (helps defend against pesky Dark Templars and Banshees), but I think the 'Mine' should only be allowed to burrow when positioning itself, and has to come back up if it wants to attack; force Terran to micro a bit to make it less OP.

Also, any updates on what Blizzard is planning to do with the Warhound? As a few posters have suggested, give the missiles to the Thor, while let Warhound be the mobile mech anti-air unit. It makes much more sense, and helps Terran chase down those damn mutas a bit (Thors are too slow).
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Since the Widow Mine is no longer a 'mine', will there be a name change to this unit? I think the idea of hitting cloaked units is great (helps defend against pesky Dark Templars and Banshees), but I think the 'Mine' should only be allowed to burrow when positioning itself, and has to come back up if it wants to attack; force Terran to micro a bit to make it less OP.

A mine is a "explosive device, concealed under or on the ground and designed to destroy or disable enemy targets as they pass over or near the device" -- it may not self destruct, but its really still pretty similar to a mine so I don't feel they have to change they name.

They still might; but they've not said that they have plans to do so.

Also, any updates on what Blizzard is planning to do with the Warhound?

No, they said before they probably wouldn't add it back or add anything in place of it. Instead, they are trying to make the Widow Mine feel like a core unit, just as the Warhound was.
Reply Quote
How are carriers in HoTS? I know that they know longer have to interceptors when switching targets and can attack while moving when the interceptors are out, but in game, how are they? Are they any more useful in HoTS than in WoL?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]