StarCraft® II

HotS Quick Questions & Answers Thread

Martiny, my old friend! Yes, its almost certain new\old units (aside from splits like the Raptor and new multiplayer units) will be seen in the campaign. We'll have to see which ones, though.

As for preordering: You can already preorder it from sites like Amazon; but you won't be able to preorder it from Blizzard directly until later.

Hello, good to see you too! :D
That's great. I didn't want Blizz to consider the unit splits "new units" and not let us have any new ones. Here's to our old Protoss friends, the Dark Archon, Reaver, and Corsair returning in Legacy of the Void! *Raises glass

Okay, makes sense. Do you know if we will preorder during the beta, or after? Just making sure.
Reply Quote
This is certainly an inactive thread.
Reply Quote
10/30/2012 12:44 PMPosted by VIPER

Probably because the most important question, "When is Heart of the Swarm being released", can't be answered.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
10/30/2012 12:44 PMPosted by VIPER

Given the beta only changes so often and we're already 363 posts in, I'm not sure I'd say that.

10/29/2012 10:44 PMPosted by Martiny
Okay, makes sense. Do you know if we will preorder during the beta, or after? Just making sure.

Typically Blizzard will allow preordering directly from them as soon as they pin-point a release date, whenever that is. Certainly not until the Beta is close to the end.
Reply Quote
everytime i try to log in it keeps saying your using a client service not known to blizzard and wont let me log in
Reply Quote
In regards to the new leveling system, it was noted xp may be obtained thru playing custom/arcade melee maps.
Would maps such as "monobattles" fall into this class of maps that reward xp towards your level progression?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
In regards to the new leveling system, it was noted xp may be obtained thru playing custom/arcade melee maps.
Would maps such as "monobattles" fall into this class of maps that reward xp towards your level progression?

Actually, it says "custom games on Blizzard maps" -- so I'm pretty sure the map will have to be published by Blizzard. (This would also prevent people from creating cheating maps to get XP really quickly)
Reply Quote
Are beta invitees kept to relatively small numbers in the beginning so that the bug reports can be managed better or is it for some other reason? Really curious to know how it's been planned out.
Edited by Sidereal on 11/2/2012 9:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
When can we see the following:

Improved Statistics
This wasn't mentioned in the new features list provided by Chris Sigaty but is something that would also improve the overall gaming experience. Specifically, incorporate statistics of a player's win-loss on certain maps, in certain match-ups; win-loss based on the time of the game (player has a 62% win rate against P on Antiga Shipyard if the game goes over 15minutes, etc).

Other cool statistics can include efficiency of builds. For example, you can track at which supply the player is most commonly getting supply-blocked, at which time the player commonly takes a third base, win-loss against a 2 base 7 warpgate all-in from Protoss, win-loss against a 1-1-1 Terran, etc.

Improved statistics give players more concrete information from which to work from so that they know with more precision where their weaknesses and strengths are. It also saves time by not having to go through all of your replays to find the information yourself.

In-game Tournament System
Again, this wasn't mentioned in the feature list by Chris Sigaty but would be amazing for the players who want to get the feeling of being in a tournament, without the hassle of joining the countless tournaments third party organizations hold (hassles such as uploading replays, coordinating games with your opponents/admins, etc). This system would be a seamless, easy to use and on-the-fly feature that gets you in a tournament type setting any time you want.

The idea is to make the tournament feature similar to custom games players are now able to join in. There can be different types of tournaments, such as "16 player tournament", "64 player tournament", "Grandmaster Daily Tournament", etc..

Once the player enters in a tournament custom game, it takes you into a unique game lobby that has the bracket players get randomly seeded into. The players vote on the settings of the tournament, such as "first round best-of-one" or "best-of-three" for the final round. The players also vote on the map pool and map veto system. Once everyone is in and hits a ready check-mark, the tournament begins. Once a round is finished, the next round will not begin until all players finish their previous round. There will be another ready check option at the beginning of each successive round, and so on and so forth until the tournament is finished.

This tournament system can further be expanded into having monthly open tournaments as well, with cool rewards and achievements as prizes. For example, a player who wins a standard daily tournament gets a star or ribbon affixed under their portrait; a player who wins a monthly tournament gets a cooler looking star, or even a new portrait, etc., etc..

The idea of the tournament system is to get players into a fun, yet competitive, atmosphere in which you are playing for something more than just league-rank/portrait farming. You can even go so far as to have the Battle.net splash page have the list of monthly winners to give players some level of prestige.

Conclusion
Overall, I like the direction Blizzard is taking with the upcoming expansion. It is evidence, as I mentioned at the beginning of this, that they are listening to the suggestions of the community. But I feel like there is so much more that can be done to get players actively playing even more, and playing more with purpose and incentive.

Thanks again for your continued hard work with this game.
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 09:26 AMPosted by Sidereal
Are beta invitees kept to relatively small numbers in the beginning so that the bug reports can be managed better or is it for some other reason? Really curious to know how it's been planned out.

I am going to say that it is probably because 100 people filling a report on "Zealot walks through cliff on Howling peaks" is just as effective as 50,000 or 100,000.

Once the glaring bugs and balance issues are fixed up and only small ones remain, bringing in more beta testers speeds up the process of those "lucky" encounters to find those.
Reply Quote
Has Blizzard explicitly stated any intentions of making changes to the infestor, beyond saying they would make changes to some of the old units?
Edited by ScoobySnacks on 11/5/2012 8:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
11/05/2012 08:54 AMPosted by ScoobySnacks
Has Blizzard explicitly stated any intentions of making changes to the infestor, beyond saying they would make changes to some of the old units?

No, though they didn't. They did comment that Infester\Broodlord was an issue they were looking to solve, but more from a perspective of adding units to other races (Tempest) and with more emphasis on the Broodlord.

11/02/2012 09:26 AMPosted by Sidereal

I guess the real question is, why don't they make it public to everyone from the get-go?

It puts a lot of strain on the servers and dealing with bigger and bigger quantities of players is more work on their hands, and the kind of feedback they're looking for at the time doesn't require a large amount of people.

11/02/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Bayne
When can we see the following:

They made it clear they weren't done making Battle.net improvements. This reads to me more as feedback -- theres nothing wrong with it, but I don't really think its suited to this thread.
Reply Quote
I hope some of the new features in Beta now will be added in WoL as soon as possible. Before everyone says "the game is dead". For example the Unranked ladder. Do it faster, shut their mouth earlier, and find out more bugs, give a good start when HOTS is released (You know, every game of Blizzard looks well before it is released. Diablo 3 is the best example)
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
11/07/2012 03:33 AMPosted by StarOFdadA
I hope some of the new features in Beta now will be added in WoL as soon as possible. Before everyone says "the game is dead". For example the Unranked ladder. Do it faster, shut their mouth earlier, and find out more bugs, give a good start when HOTS is released (You know, every game of Blizzard looks well before it is released. Diablo 3 is the best example)

Yeah, but all the HotS features are a bit sketchy right now and need work -- I believe their plan is to patch it into WoL when HotS launches, though.
Reply Quote
Thinking about pre-purchasing. I click the link. It asks me whether I want to upgrade US or SEA version of the game.

I had hoped one upgrade would suit both US and SEA, given I bought SEA here in Australia and it let us play on US as well. Just wondering what might give?

I'm going to look around for a 'proper' answer, but still... if anyone here 'knows', etc. would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
With global play, you will be able to access all regions with one account; so does it matter which?

I'm a little surprised they treat them separately when you brought them as one, though.
Reply Quote
Will all XP etc that you earn during the beta be reset once the retail version of HOTS gets released?
Reply Quote
Yes, I would think so.
Reply Quote
Is single player going to have an offline mode (ala sc2) or will it be always online (ala diablo3) I'll just watch a youtube "lets play" if it is - diablo3 was a nightmare at launch, so bad i got a refund for it.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]