HotS Quick Questions & Answers Thread

Do window mines attack air units?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
09/07/2012 09:46 AMPosted by Murcielago
Do window mines attack air units?

Yes
Reply Quote
Thanks... I thought that feature left when they changed its cooldown to explosion, what about AOE? friendly fire or PF style- hostiles only, and the amount of dmg the AOE dealt plus if its affected by armour?
Reply Quote
Can you pull your own units acrosscliffs?
What is the damage of widow mines?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Can you pull your own units acrosscliffs?

Yeah, believe so.

What is the damage of widow mines?

160 to target, 35 to each unit in AoE radius.

what about AOE? friendly fire or PF style- hostiles only, and the amount of dmg the AOE dealt plus if its affected by armour?

They have AoE as mentioned above, not sure if effected by Armor but I believe so. (Thats a little harder to test)

Does do friendly damage, yes.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Is there any chance you could ring off a few unofficial changes to units here?

I heard of ghost cloaking requiring cool down and of reapers heath regen (built in?) but i was REALLY surprised to hear of 100 energy seeker missiles, anything like that for terran, protoss or zerg that wasn't publicized?

Overlord Speed Upgrade was nerfed, but that was confirmed as a bug.

I don't believe ghosts were actually changed.

Reaper Regen doesn't require an upgrade. It has a delay before kicking in, much like Protoss shields.

Hunter Seeker missile energy change is true.

That I know of, there haven't been any other "stealth" changes.
Reply Quote
Are the range of tempests decresed?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Is the yellow ring around scans optional?

No, but I don't know why on earth you'd want to turn it off. Incredibly helpful. (Maybe too much so, if you liked half-guessing what the scan could see)

Also, is the green outline of where collapsible rocks will fall optional?

No, and frankly its a bit annoying because it happens any time you mouse over it. I believe they've already listened to feedback in this regard and are considering changing it, though.

09/08/2012 05:28 AMPosted by waterbuffalo
Are the range of tempests decresed?

Nope! Range 10, 12 more with an upgrade - 22 total. Edit: Has since been changed to 13
Edited by TheSkunk on 10/10/2012 10:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Bumparoo

Though I try to avoid bumping threads if I can; people seemed to finding this helpful enough before -- it seems like it would be a shame to let it die already.
Reply Quote
What happens when a viper abducts another viper at the same time?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
09/09/2012 06:11 AMPosted by AntareSpicA
What happens when a viper abducts another viper at the same time?

They both trade spots.

Literally; they fly past each other to land at opposite locations.
Edited by TheSkunk on 9/9/2012 6:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi!

Q:

Since Tempests are just bad to support main armies and do not fill the role of the Carrier, I won't ask for lategame strategies here. But, how have you been using your Tempests in your games? What tactics have you found useful with this unit, before lategame?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Q:

Since Tempests are just bad to support main armies and do not fill the role of the Carrier, I won't ask for lategame strategies here. But, how have you been using your Tempests in your games? What tactics have you found useful with this unit, before lategame?

I was using Tempests a lot before, actually. I stopped now simply because they cost too much gas and *require* backup from from AoE units.

They are really good because of their range. You should always get them if you can afford them. Sadly, you can never afford them

They still remain essential for PvP. You must get air in PvP (if you get past the start of the game which is like WoL -- you can't expand and their are a ton of timing pushes\all-ins you can do with Colossus, Immortals, Archons, Blinkstalkers, DT, etc) If your opponent does not go air, you can get free win with tempests. If your opponent *does* go air (Tempests) you yourself need air (Void Rays) to defeat it.

In PvP, Tempests can snipe Colossus from afar. You cannot engage and kill them with a ground army -- the opponent often has a formidable ground force and Tempests have high HP; if you try and snipe them with ground units you will lose everything.

In PvT, if you get *one* tempest with range, Terrans MUST get vikings. It is the only unit Terran has (besides Battlecruisers) that can even hit them, because most maps have above-air areas you can shell their bases from.

You can easily get 1 Tempest and 2 Phoenix and annoy the piss out of Terran players, because when they do get some vikings out you can kill 'em with ease.

Past that.. I've found Voidrays more effective in PvT.

PvZ, they are good if your opponent doesn't go air -- firstly for the same reason I described against Terran, and secondly because they are good at picking off Swarm Hosts. If you have something like Storm to back it up, you can have a Chargelot\High Templar army sit in the middle of the map while you pick off everything the Zerg holds dear -- expensive units like the Viper and Swarm host, Hatcheries, Tech Structures.. And when they come charging up, place down a lot of storms. They either die, or have to retreat, giving you more time to pick away at them and recharge energy. (Energize High Templars... Woot)

But again, if they go air (Corruptor Muta with Overseers -- though you can beat this with Archon Toilet) it doesn't work. . . and lately, I've found it to be too costly to ever get anyway.

I started out liking them, and now I don't. Since they aren't good in a straight up fight, they require backup from other units like Colossuses or Archons. It costs too much gas to get both. So instead, I just get Colossus Archons. :(

TL;DR: They are fun to use and powerful in certain situations, but not viable as a tech path.
Edited by TheSkunk on 9/9/2012 8:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I performed in the SC2 Beta quite a bit and send a few error reports and even got a second beta key. Will my performance in the preavous Beta influence my odds of getting into HOTS? Also closer to the sc2 launch window people who preordered WOL got a beta key, will Blizz do something similar with HOTS?Thanks
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
09/09/2012 09:04 AMPosted by Carnage
I performed in the SC2 Beta quite a bit and send a few error reports and even got a second beta key. Will my performance in the preavous Beta influence my odds of getting into HOTS? Also closer to the sc2 launch window people who preordered WOL got a beta key, will Blizz do something similar with HOTS?Thanks

No, performance in the other beta (except for the arcade beta) wont effect your chances of getting a HotS beta key.

They might give keys for pre-ordering, but that isn't really something we can't really know for sure. Only Blizzard (if anyone) knows.
Reply Quote
can an ultralisk use it's burrow charge move whilst burrowed?
Reply Quote
Are they releasing more beta keys today?
Reply Quote
09/09/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Caledfwlch
can an ultralisk use it's burrow charge move whilst burrowed?

Nope.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]