StarCraft® II

HotS Quick Questions & Answers Thread

MVP - StarCraft
09/13/2012 01:30 PMPosted by OrionPax
What are the current Oracle abilities?

Revelation - Tags a bunch of units in an area. You will always have vision of the units until it wears off, whether they are burrowed, invisible, or in the fog of war. It wont grant vision to the area surrounding them. (30 seconds)
Entomb - Blocks mineral patches in a AoE. (45 seconds or until destroyed)
Preordain - Grants vision of a building, will show what it is producing when selected. (1 minute)

Editors note: Has changed since then. It is now Revelation, Entomb, and Void Siphon.

First of all, I don't think asking why Protoss is getting shafted is a sarcastic question, or when/if the Oracle and/or Tempest will be scrapped.

Because I'm not a game designer.
Because "why are they getting shafted" is not a question, its a statement about the balance. You are essentially asking "Why is protoss too weak? Why did they make the game unbalanced?" Obviously, neither of these were intentional and both of them Blizzard plans to fix.
Its not a question someone in the beta could answer.
Its not even really question.

They are both perfectly valid questions, because the Tempest is just a badly designed unit, and the Oracle is so incredibly underwhelming and expensive that building it just seems like a way of telling your opponent, "hey, I just wasted a lot of gas and time teching up to this piece of junk, so if you all-in me right now, you will crush me..."

So? Both of those could change with patches. I'm not a developer, I can't tell you why they were made that way, and even if I was that is not constructive feedback -- at this point, they know they are "bad" and need fixing.

But on to the topic at hand, what justification is there for Haywire Missiles being autocast? Snipe is effectively the same thing for bio units as Haywire Missiles are for mechanical units, so why should Haywire Missiles be easier to use?

Snipe costs energy that you won't necessarily want wasted on any biological unit. Haywire missiles cost nothing, and the cooldown isn't even that long. It would add a greater dimension of micro that way, though -- good idea.

The rest of your question I wont reply to for obvious reasons. Its not even that its wrong to complain about the Warhound, Tempest, or Oracle -- this just isn't the place to do it. Make your own thread about it, like I did when I wanted to give feedback on the Oracle.

I mean, seriously, what I am supposed to say to "Why are the Protoss so lame?" -- Because Dustin Browder said it should be so? o.0
Edited by TheSkunk on 10/10/2012 10:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Is there any chance that we can get a clan system team matchmaking system?

I don't know if this is planned or not by Blizzard, but here i submit my wildest dream, what I'd like to see the most in HotS : We all know by now that there is going to be a clan system : I guess it will be Frozen Throne style where you can invite your friends and boost your clan stats by winning in solo or AT. But what I'd like to see so we have a true "Clan" system is a Clanwar matchmaking. In addition of 1v1, 2v2, and so on ladders, you could invite 4 of your teammates to a clanwar matchamaking, and then find an opposite clan. Then, you would proceed to map pick/bans and the team captain would select the first player to play. Vision could be restricted to only your team's player to prevent cheating, and you could unlock all new icons for your clan sheet. What do you think ?

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/ztd9f/suggestion_clan_matchmaking_system_in_hots/

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6568916828
Edited by Haplo on 9/13/2012 2:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
There is a chance, Haplo, but it is unlikely. They have a lot of other things they already plan to add ( http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/5366967 ) including clans themselves. It could be added post-release, though.

I am hopeful, though -- as I even said in a comment on that very reddit thread, I mentioned a feature almost identical to that in my own thread on Battle.net a while ago: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/4254515833

But again, this falls beyond my ability to answer as I am not a Blizzard developer!
Reply Quote
Obviously, given that you aren't a developr, the hate and anger that people are feeling about the state of balance isn't (at least it shouldn't be) directed at you. Still, people are going to ask, and since you, an MVP, made this thread many people probably assume that it stands to reason that their problems with the state of the balance in HotS will be more likely to be notice by a Blizzard developer here than in most people's threads.

Thanks for replying though =D

So long as I'm here, I do have another question, though I'm certain a concrete answer is still up in the air at this point.

With Blinding Cloud now effective every ranged ground unit, shouldn't we be concerned that Blinding Cloud + Fungal Growth to prevent units from leaving the AoE of Blinding Cloud, will result in Zerg aremies effectively being invincible in the late game with a BroodLord/Infestor/Viper late game army?
Edited by EntropicXG on 9/13/2012 2:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Will there be automated tournaments like in Warcraft 3? I made a thread about this because I'm very curious. I'm not sure if you played WarCraft 3 but they had daily tourney's where people could play with other people from their skill level and it was like best of 32 then 16 then 4 and you could win lots of tournaments and have trophies and stuff. Nothing really, just for fun and allowed you to play under pressure and see what the pros feel like. Is there any way this could be implemented in HOTS?
Reply Quote
Do you think Carrier + Tempest would make both units more viable?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Still, people are going to ask, and since you, an MVP, made this thread many people probably assume that it stands to reason that their problems with the state of the balance in HotS will be more likely to be notice by a Blizzard developer here than in most people's threads.

I can understand why people are asking -- but they usually ask them in a "are you retarded?" sort of a way, not a "here I think is what you guys did wrong; here is what I'd do to fix it" sort of way -- so its not likely a developer would answer it no matter where they posted it.

Basically; they usually don't accomplish anything which is why I made a notification asking people not to bother. =P

And trust me, if I made a stupid, raging thread Dustin would just read it and then give a long, jolly, rolling laugh and move on just like any other post.

With Blinding Cloud now effective every ranged ground unit, shouldn't we be concerned that Blinding Cloud + Fungal Growth to prevent units from leaving the AoE of Blinding Cloud, will result in Zerg aremies effectively being invincible in the late game with a BroodLord/Infestor/Viper late game army?

Thats an unimaginably gas-heavy army that is incredibly weak if you run out of energy (HT\Ghost would hard-counter) or if you use it poorly -- I think it has the potential to be incredibly powerful, yes, but it still has its weaknesses so I don't think it will get out of hand.

09/13/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Drathjon
Will there be automated tournaments like in Warcraft 3? I made a thread about this because I'm very curious. I'm not sure if you played WarCraft 3 but they had daily tourney's where people could play with other people from their skill level and it was like best of 32 then 16 then 4 and you could win lots of tournaments and have trophies and stuff. Nothing really, just for fun and allowed you to play under pressure and see what the pros feel like. Is there any way this could be implemented in HOTS?

Pretty much the same thing I said to Haplo -- I've personally campaigned for this, and I do hope they add it. I was very sad it wasn't mentioned in http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/5366967

So it might come in the future, but it looks like its not as high on the list as some other features.

09/13/2012 03:01 PMPosted by TheGuy
Do you think Carrier + Tempest would make both units more viable?

Not really, because they have pretty similar counters.
Edited by TheSkunk on 9/13/2012 3:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Post-patch bump; feel free to ask away. :D
Reply Quote
What do YOU think of the new patch?
Reply Quote
09/13/2012 03:28 PMPosted by TheSkunk
Not really, because they have pretty similar counters.
While true, I do not agree with you on the implications of Tempest + Carrier, now that it is a reality.

The biggest thing about Carriers + Tempests is that they're easily support by Templar tech and a Mothership. It boosts their strengths exponentially.

I also LOVE the fact that you can interchange between Sniper Tempests and Muscle Carriers based on what your opponent is going for. And, because Tempests are better at killing massive units now, we might see more Tempest based anti-mech with fewer Carriers to kill Thors and BCs, but a heavier Carrier anti-mech against more Viking/Thor. Similarly, Tempests and Carrier numbers could be re-balanced in PvZ to suit the particular lategame comp Protoss will be fighting against.

I LOVE it!

EDIT (typo)
Edited by Zamara on 9/14/2012 3:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Woot, promoted to Grandmaster on the beta.

09/14/2012 02:23 PMPosted by OrionPax
What do YOU think of the new patch?

I haven't been able to play it enough since it came out to really know.

Some things I like for sure, like the Mothership Core changes.

Some things I like, but I fear they might leave a gap in the game, like the removal of Warhounds.

Some things I have no clue how they will turn out, like Reaper vision.

I like the direction they took things, but the practical effects I don't know yet.

While true, I do not agree with you on the implications of Tempest + Carrier, not that it is a reality.

The biggest thing about Carriers + Tempests is that they're easily support by Templar tech and a Mothership. It boosts their strengths exponentially.

I also LOVE the fact that you can interchange between Sniper Tempests and Muscle Carriers based on what your opponent is going for. And, because Tempests are better at killing massive units now, we might see more Tempest based anti-mech with fewer Carriers to kill Thors and BCs, but a heavier Carrier anti-mech against more Viking/Thor. Similarly, Tempests and Carrier numbers could be re-balanced in PvZ to suit the particular lategame comp Protoss will be fighting against.

I LOVE it!

I actually just won with Tempest\Carrier. Granted, it was (mostly) because my opponent was worse.

I think the choice between the two is interesting, for sure. Not sure that they make each other a more viable option or not. We shall see!
Reply Quote
09/14/2012 03:15 PMPosted by TheSkunk
I think the choice between the two is interesting, for sure. Not sure that they make each other a more viable option or not. We shall see!

Congrats on making GM :D

I think that this new comp needs a little more time and use to know for sure what is best for either unit in terms of timing and situational utility.
Reply Quote
What happens when you destroy "collapsible rocks?" Besides it damaging units/buildings. Like I saw a video of someone destroying them and it fell on the other side and left a broken part where it was destroyed, so do you have to destroy them twice to clear them? If they are blocking a base how do u destroy the rocks so you can build a base.

Here is the video showing the collapsible rocks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA6cl0_UzqY&feature=plcp (1:19) ---- it leaves a half rock w/no health and a rock with full health.
Edited by Shico on 9/15/2012 11:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Was the carrier buffed?
Reply Quote
cuz its pointless?
Reply Quote
What do you think of OPs idea here:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6521293507

Because it seems like a good idea if Blizzard is still trying to push the idea of a terran "seige Breaker" an I personally think it needs a bit more attention.
Reply Quote
How do you know if you get a beta invite?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
What happens when you destroy "collapsible rocks?" Besides it damaging units/buildings. Like I saw a video of someone destroying them and it fell on the other side and left a broken part where it was destroyed, so do you have to destroy them twice to clear them? If they are blocking a base how do u destroy the rocks so you can build a base.

Here is the video showing the collapsible rocks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA6cl0_UzqY&feature=plcp (1:19) ---- it leaves a half rock w/no health and a rock with full health.

To clarify, both the rock base that the rocks fall off of (the one with no health) and the destructible rocks created (the one with full health) block movement. Only the destructible rocks can be killed.

It only damages units if they are immobile and cannot be pushed to the side.

It only deals 500 damage, and it has 500 HP.

You don't actually have to destroy the rocks to take a base where collapsible rocks are; because collapsible rocks deal damage equal to their HP so it doesn't kill the expansion any sooner to target the rocks. Your opponent can kill them *before* you take your expansion, though, blocking you.

Did I answer your question, or is there a part of it you still don't quite get?

09/15/2012 11:23 PMPosted by AntareSpicA
Was the carrier buffed?

Nope.

What do you think of OPs idea here:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6521293507

Because it seems like a good idea if Blizzard is still trying to push the idea of a terran "seige Breaker" an I personally think it needs a bit more attention.

Interesting idea. Terran is my worst race, though -- that sounds better then what they had before, but I'm not sure its the best solution still.

09/16/2012 06:39 AMPosted by Wombywell
How do you know if you get a beta invite?

You will be able to see "StarCraft II®: Heart of the Swarm" on your account page here: https://us.battle.net/account/management/

They will send you an email as well, but its not as reliable:

• They come late.
  • They might get caught in your spam folder.
  • You make get a fake invite email

• and so on.
    Edited by TheSkunk on 9/16/2012 7:19 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    I would like to know about a few random visual / technical additions in HotS

Question1: does the "new" creep crawl onto buildings on low shader graphic settings too? or is it only on medium shaders or higher? or is it purely a terrain setting thing?

Question2: Is the ragdoll death animation for marines (and maybe other units?) added in the current beta? If is there a certain level of physics setting required to see it? (I haven't seen it once since the beta started on the many streams I've watched).

Thanks! :)
    Reply Quote
    09/16/2012 07:18 AMPosted by TheSkunk
    Nope.

D:<
    DUMB BLIZZARD BUFF DAT CARRIER!!!!!
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]