HotS Quick Questions & Answers Thread

MVP - StarCraft
Question1: does the "new" creep crawl onto buildings on low shader graphic settings too? or is it only on medium shaders or higher? or is it purely a terrain setting thing?

Shaders and Shadows have to be medium, Terrain has to be high.

Question2: Is the ragdoll death animation for marines (and maybe other units?) added in the current beta? If is there a certain level of physics setting required to see it? (I haven't seen it once since the beta started on the many streams I've watched).

This is harder to test. Some new physics are definitely in place -- for an example, when killed units will retain their momentum. If you kill some lings with Hellions while the lings are on the run, the Lings corpses will slide across the ground. What settings required, and are new physics used in other ways? I gotta dig through some replays and do some testing before I get back to you on that.

EDIT: No, ragdoll physics aren't added yet.
Edited by TheSkunk on 10/10/2012 10:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
what happens if a viper pulls a unit off a cliff into the abyss?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
09/17/2012 05:41 PMPosted by Caledfwlch
what happens if a viper pulls a unit off a cliff into the abyss?

You can't. If you cast it while above abyss, it says "cannot find placement location"
Reply Quote
First of all I would like to thank you for creating this thread, because people have been relaying some potentially great concepts as well as staple FAQ's. And congrats on GM! (little late but oh well :P)

Last I saw Blinding Cloud only afftected biological ranged units. that seemed very limited to marine/marauder/hydra which to me seems very weak. What is the current status of blinding cloud insofar as what units it can affect and the parameters it limits them to?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
09/17/2012 07:59 PMPosted by AoAKaziklu
Last I saw Blinding Cloud only afftected biological ranged units. that seemed very limited to marine/marauder/hydra which to me seems very weak. What is the current status of blinding cloud insofar as what units it can affect and the parameters it limits them to?

It can affect all ground units and buildings in a radius of 1.5, reduces them to melee ranged attack.

What is the phase shield like, stats wise and utility wise?

It last 5 seconds and the AoE isn't that big -- 1.5. Its basically an AoE debuff. Since it is AoE its obviously better vs AoE buffs like fungal growth, and since it lasts so short you can't use it preventively in many cases. If you have several Oracles\full energy Oracles I suppose you could cast it constantly on your Mothership to prevent neural parasite, or on your Colossus to prevent abduct, though.

Is the Oracle worth making now?

Is the Tempest worth making now?

I haven't been able to play it a whole lot post-patch, unfortunately.

Does phase shield really prevent energy drain?

No.
Reply Quote
Just one question, does blinding cloud effect caster casting range? It would really be a nice thing to know that ht/ghost/infestor can't retaliate with energy skills after being hit with this; heck that would actually be pretty awesome if it just flat out disabled them until they moved from under it.
Reply Quote
You say the Overseer has not been changed in anyway... so I take it the casting of the changling being ranged is removed and it's back to the way it was in WoL?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
09/18/2012 08:57 AMPosted by Silphyre
Just one question, does blinding cloud effect caster casting range? It would really be a nice thing to know that ht/ghost/infestor can't retaliate with energy skills after being hit with this; heck that would actually be pretty awesome if it just flat out disabled them until they moved from under it.

Nope -- doesn't effect spells, just weapon.

09/18/2012 08:59 AMPosted by Protostitute
You say the Overseer has not been changed in anyway... so I take it the casting of the changling being ranged is removed and it's back to the way it was in WoL?

Yes, Changling just drops out of the overseer like in WoL. See: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6489880526?page=2#21
Edited by TheSkunk on 9/18/2012 9:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 08:37 AMPosted by TheSkunk
No.
That's interesting that Phase Shield allows Protoss shield and energy drain, but not decloaking.

Still, I think it is the right choice as EMP vs Feedback wars is still a dynamic that needs to be left alone.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Yeah, it basically just prevents "buffs" or removes them, and the draining of energy and mana is counted as "damage". For an example, you can still use Snipe but not 250mm Strike Cannons because it is a channeling "buff"
Edited by TheSkunk on 9/18/2012 9:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 09:51 AMPosted by TheSkunk
Yeah, it basically just prevents "buffs" or removes them, and the draining of energy and mana is counted as "damage". For an example, you can still use Snipe but not 250mm Strike Cannons because it is a channeling "buff"
Ah that's good to know. I think for any Protoss, going for more than 2 Oracles in a whole game is a waste of money and supply. The 2 Oracles will be largely sufficient for harassment all game long while they become excellent support to debuff FGs.

One question: Have you tried Phase Shields vs HSM damage? Does HSM work like snipe in this case?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Yeah, Hunter Seeker missile is not prevented by it either.
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 10:25 AMPosted by TheSkunk
Interesting. Btw, any word on why the energy requirements for HSM was changed in the recent patch? It looks like it was buffed to 100 energy then reverted back 125. If possible, is there a way to find out why?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Interesting. Btw, any word on why the energy requirements for HSM was changed in the recent patch? It looks like it was buffed to 100 energy then reverted back 125. If possible, is there a way to find out why?

I believe the change was unintentional in the first place, just like the Overlord Speed nerf. It was added to the Bugs list prior to being patched, anyway.

Its actually still listed as a "Resolved Issue" http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6490460205#2
Edited by TheSkunk on 9/18/2012 10:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
o_O well, that's too bad for Terrans.

By the way, I cannot say how grateful I am that you have this thread. I just got into Beta, but I have been really enlightened by this Q&A, and I will support it all the way :D

Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
o_O well, that's too bad for Terrans.

By the way, I cannot say how grateful I am that you have this thread. I just got into Beta, but I have been really enlightened by this Q&A, and I will support it all the way :D

No problem.

Congrats on getting a beta key! Not sure what league you are, but if you want someone to play with you can add me, TheSkunk#386 and message me if you are online. The beta can feel a bit empty at times right now.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Reply Quote
09/20/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Lol
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Hearts for everybody!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ♥

♥ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ♥

♥ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

Will probably get more replies here -- just fine with me, things were starting to slow down. :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]