StarCraft® II

HotS Quick Questions & Answers Thread

I got an invite today too but when I go to login I get this message "You are trying to login using a client version not recognized by the battle.net services" Can anyone help me?
Reply Quote
09/20/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Daxxarri

My what a cold heart the community manager has.:P
Looks like someone needs a hug\o/
Edited by VonFoxFire on 9/20/2012 7:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/20/2012 02:27 PMPosted by Zamara
I am surprised people are not using Widow Mines as Terrans used to use Spider Mines in Broodwar...

Well if widow mines were like spider mines then hellions would get to plant 3 of them after a 1 time research - removing any supply costs and having the raider/meatshield deploy them would make them so much more viable.
Reply Quote
TheSkunk, is there a reason why non-beta accounts aren't able to post on the beta forum anymore?
Reply Quote
09/20/2012 08:06 PMPosted by Zamara
TheSkunk, is there a reason why non-beta accounts aren't able to post on the beta forum anymore?

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6572270183

They were posting about balance when they shouldn't have been, and were making it difficult for Blizz employees to see if the player had any experience with HotS, or if they were just complaining.

So they cut it out, and if you want to make a Beta post, you just put [BETA] in the title.
Reply Quote
Has slow unit response time been happening for everyone? Or maybe it's just the influx of all the new players, or the patch or something? Game feels a tiny bit clunkier than WoL right now.
Reply Quote
Well, that sux... Thanks for the info - good to know that because of the actions of a few idiots, I lost the privilege to post on the Beta forums.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
09/20/2012 06:56 PMPosted by Bonewalker
Just got my invite in my email. Oddly, when I log in to Battle.net, I see two HotS Beta links. One is labelled SCII-1 and the other SCII-2. Is there a difference?

If you have two beta keys, you can log on to two accounts separately and simultaneously using one or the other. (They can both be online at the same time)

If you only have 1 key, only 1 of them will allow you access.

09/20/2012 07:02 PMPosted by Aura
I got an invite today too but when I go to login I get this message "You are trying to login using a client version not recognized by the battle.net services" Can anyone help me?

A lot of people are having this issue, see: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6572357836 for more info. (Blue posters are actively working on the issue there)

09/20/2012 08:58 PMPosted by HirshNoC
Has slow unit response time been happening for everyone? Or maybe it's just the influx of all the new players, or the patch or something? Game feels a tiny bit clunkier than WoL right now.

Not everyone (I don't get any lag) but certainly a lot of people. I think it is because that the beta is all on one server, so either you or your opponent has to connect from further away.
Reply Quote
At the start of the beta, the mothership could only use the vortex spell on ground units, but now it's back to its original state (effects air and ground) along with all the other old mothership abilities. Is there any plan to remove or modify vortex or to give zergs some alternate way of dealing with archon toilets? Now that Tempests are supposed to counter brood lords and Oracles negate fungals, it seems to me that the argument that Protoss needs the mothership and archon toilets to deal with late game zerg is no longer valid.
Reply Quote
Do Battle hellions go off bio upgrades or mech upgrades?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
09/21/2012 05:46 AMPosted by Hannibal
Is there any plan to remove or modify vortex or to give zergs some alternate way of dealing with archon toilets?

I'm not a developer, haha :P

They had to add it back because people have not found a good way to use Tempest\Oracles yet so they still rely on it -- if it turns out Tempests\Oracles fix the issue, they may change\remove Vortex again -- but for now they are just waiting to see, I think.

09/21/2012 06:52 AMPosted by AntareSpicA
Do Battle hellions go off bio upgrades or mech upgrades?

Mech. They are built from the factory still. :P
Reply Quote
I have a question that's been irking me since I started watching the HotS streams... On [at least] one map there at collapsible rocks near a third base (I think the map is Korhal City but I could be wrong as I don't have the beta.... T_T)

What happens if you build a base there before the rocks are collapsed and then an opponent destroys them them causing them to fall on the bases location?

P.S.: The thread is awesome, Great Idea!
Reply Quote
Hey TheSkunk, haven't you found it amazing to play PvP in HOTS?

As long as you execute your opening build correctly, you never die to 4 gate, and you get to do AWESOME fun builds like Stargate Phoenix into 3 base Tempests + Carriers while your ground army is mostly stalker/Immortal sentry and about 15 supply in zealots that you can have wander off on the map to kill stuff, and ALSO get a warp-prism for reinforcements or harass.

When you get to +3 Air attack and +3 shields, you tend to be in pwnage mode against anything on the ground and air :D Don't you think? Carriers + Tempests are a FANTASTIC combo!

Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
I have a question that's been irking me since I started watching the HotS streams... On [at least] one map there at collapsible rocks near a third base (I think the map is Korhal City but I could be wrong as I don't have the beta.... T_T)

What happens if you build a base there before the rocks are collapsed and then an opponent destroys them them causing them to fall on the bases location?

P.S.: The thread is awesome, Great Idea!

That ones been asked so much, going to add it to the index -- rocks deal 500 damage to anything they fall on that is immobile. :)

Hey TheSkunk, haven't you found it amazing to play PvP in HOTS?

As long as you execute your opening build correctly, you never die to 4 gate, and you get to do AWESOME fun builds like Stargate Phoenix into 3 base Tempests + Carriers while your ground army is mostly stalker/Immortal sentry and about 15 supply in zealots that you can have wander off on the map to kill stuff, and ALSO get a warp-prism for reinforcements or harass.

When you get to +3 Air attack and +3 shields, you tend to be in pwnage mode against anything on the ground and air :D Don't you think? Carriers + Tempests are a FANTASTIC combo!

I do like the late-game better, at the very least!

From what little I have played since the latest patch I do not like the purify change. Maybe I did my build wrong, but the build I used to defend 4gate using Mothership Core + Rocks (on the map that has them blocking the natural) did not work, because purify takes too much more energy.

PvP is not my strongest point; though -- I often find other early-game builds besides 4gate, like blinkstalker openers, to be pretty strong so the game still does not last until the late game. I've also had bad luck, most of my PvP more recently have been against master players, so I lose no matter what. =/
Edited by TheSkunk on 9/22/2012 11:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/22/2012 11:43 AMPosted by MtlGuitarist
Do widow mines count as burrowed/cloaked?

Yes. Without detection they are burrowed/invisible.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
You can see it for a fraction of a second before it unburrows: http://www.twitch.tv/darthcaesar/b/331060252?t=5m25s

But you have to have insane micro to have a chance of dodging it in reality.

I've been fiddling around with reaper\widow mine against all races ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxXfpDUcih0 ) and it seems like it has potential -- but I suck at terran.
Reply Quote
There is a chance, Haplo, but it is unlikely. They have a lot of other things they already plan to add ( http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/5366967 ) including clans themselves. It could be added post-release, though.

I am hopeful, though -- as I even said in a comment on that very reddit thread, I mentioned a feature almost identical to that in my own thread on Battle.net a while ago: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/4254515833

But again, this falls beyond my ability to answer as I am not a Blizzard developer!

About clan support again(cant believe this has been mentioned so little), do you know whether added clan options, such as training rooms possible integrated with the map editor, clan wars and clan related stats will be available?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
09/22/2012 05:14 PMPosted by Themightyone
About clan support again(cant believe this has been mentioned so little), do you know whether added clan options, such as training rooms possible integrated with the map editor, clan wars and clan related stats will be available?

Aside from what was mentioned in the Developer Update, nobody knows anything. Currently the only new feature in HotS is unranked ladder.

I've been trying to push the developers to at least give as a preview of what the features will be like on the beta forums, though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]