StarCraft® II

Extremely High CPU Usage

Just started playing SC2 again after about a month off and noticed it was running pretty slow. I looked at the activity monitor on my macbook while just sitting in the SC2 menu and the CPU usage for Starcraft 2 ALONE was 150%. Is there anything I can do to fix this?? Thanks!!

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Thanks for the report. I'm checking this out.
Reply Quote
same problem..
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
This issue was resolved on the Mac client with the 1.5.3 patch. What CPU usage are you seeing currently?
Reply Quote
I cannot even play StarCraft anymore due to cpu usage between 100-150% on SC2 alone.

I have a MacBook late 2008. Everything is stock except I have replaced the factory 2GB of ram and installed 8GB of ram...

As of a few weeks ago I can't play without huge lag issues due to CPU usage... Is there any fix?
Edited by Noobricorn on 10/16/2012 8:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
It is typical to get that usage when there is a lot of stuff going on in the screen (like large battles). When are you getting this CPU usage?
Reply Quote
Hey I just wanted pipe in on this -
I haven't played in awhile and just opened up my SC2 Client (most recent patch)
I was sitting on the menu page, to choose what I wanted to do.
My CPU/GPU Temperature bumped up to 200º and SC2 was pulling at least half of my CPU.
Framerate was actually just fine, but everything else outside of SC2 was lagging 2-3 seconds behind.. even typing in a chat box.

I'm running a slightly older MacBook Pro from late 2008.
512mb video card, 2.53ghz Core2 Duo Intel Processor. 8gb of RAM
Running the latest build of OSX Mountain Lion. (10.8.2)

It's acting almost exactly like WoW was acting a few months ago with that authentication process that hogged CPU like no other.

Like I said, I haven't played in awhile, but I've never had this issue with SC2 before this. I've run on medium graphics in the biggest battles and had no issues with my CPU or temperature.
(occasion framerate issues aside)

Hopefully that helps track down what's going on. I'm going to continue messing with it on my end as well.
Reply Quote
I have the exact same issue to the point where I can't even load it. My macbook pro is from 2010. I open SC2 and it starts to initialize data and then bumps the usage up so badly that I can't even navigate the menu. It used to run it on high graphics back in 2010 when I first got it... It always gave a bit during heavy battles but as of the last 6-8 months I've had to dual boot into windows to even get a game started. I have a clean system, up to date, with no issues in other areas.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
What is the actual CPU usage you are seeing? It does jump up if you're in intensive battles, but outside that, it should be relatively low.
Reply Quote
I'm having a similar issue on my PC (Win 7, AMD Phenom II X4, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 460). Not certain when it started, wasn't always this way.

Not only during battles, I notice it right from game start. 100-1000ms freeze, when it resumes units have jumped to where they would be if there was no freeze, (hopefully that makes sense).

Thought it was HDD at first, bought a SSD with no improvement in-game, but CPU is still pinning during game.
Edited by kevinkace on 12/22/2012 11:00 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]