StarCraft® II

I want to game on PC but need mobility

I know most people say a gaming laptop really isn't worth it and a PC works 100 times better. But I'm going to college in a year and need my next computer to last. In college, i'm going to need a laptop, the dorms are small and i'm going to have to be taking it to class, the library etc.

Currently I've been playing starcraft 2 at minimum setting and cant even run diablo 3 :'(. I've been looking at the Asus 17.3" 8GB memory with a 1TB hard drive. It's selling for $1250 at bestbuy and with my limited knowledge of PC gaming this seems like a decent machine. it's got an intel core i7 processor, NVIDIA GTX 660M graphics card, 1 TB hard drive, 17.3 inch screen. my only concern is will it overheat because its so compact.

Please help me out, let me know about any other dependable gaming laptops around the $1300 price range. at this point getting a PC is not an option.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+17.3%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/5176239.p?id=1218621250769&skuId=5176239 <<< link to the laptop
Reply Quote
Have you considered getting two separate computers? Spending $600 on a portable laptop and $600 for a small desktop? If size is a factor for you, you could build a small mITX desktop to keep in your dorm and a small laptop with a decent battery for class. A $600 desktop or even a $500 desktop would still be able to provide much better performance. BTW a 17'' laptop is not really portable.
Reply Quote
I've been looking at the Asus 17.3" 8GB memory with a 1TB hard drive. It's selling for $1250 at bestbuy and with my limited knowledge of PC gaming this seems like a decent machine. it's got an intel core i7 processor, NVIDIA GTX 660M graphics card, 1 TB hard drive, 17.3 inch screen.

That is far too expensive. I got my laptop two years ago, with similar stats (my graphical card has 1GB of VRAM, so correct me if the GTX 660 has 2GB), and it was $1000. Take a look around (online, inside a store, etc.), you'll be able to find a similar computer for perhaps $900 or less. Anyways, a computer with those stats can run SC2 on High, easily (mine is on Medium-Low, but that's due to Patch 1.5 and the fact that I play custom maps where there are over a thousand units on the huge 256x256 map at once). I haven't tried it, but such a computer should be able to hit Ultra or Extreme, if you're just playing 1v1 matches (I don't play on the ladder).

my only concern is will it overheat because its so compact.

There's no real way of knowing how well it will vent, short of seeing it in person before you purchase it. You could probably buy an external fan, but if you do, try to get a laptop that's fairly light (I broke a fan already with my laptop, from the weight of it). Turning down your graphical settings would probably also help.

a 17'' laptop is not really portable.

It's quite portable, as long as you don't pick the kind of laptop I did. I basically wanted a computer that didn't require a separate monitor, keyboard, and half-a-dozen cables, so the 8+pounds of weight and the 1.5 hour battery life were irrelevant to me.
Edited by Palamani on 9/18/2012 4:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My cuz has a comp with similar specs to that Laptop and can play at near Ultra Settings.. It really doesn't take much to run this game.. so a gaming laptop might do fine. But yes, they will be fairly heavy and clunky with crap battery life.

Maybe you'll want to invest in a Laptop cooling pad if your worried about overheating.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]