Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
Hi! I'm trying to get the achievement for destroying the 4 hatcheries on the campaign on hard.
I read the other posts about it here, but I still got some questions, because I can't get an army big enough before the 8m mark to go and kill the hatcheries...
1. The way I rescue the fiorst group is this: at the very start of the game, I send 12 marines there, kill the 2 zerg groups, get the resources, move all marines back to the base except for one that rescues the rebems when they pop up later. Is there a better way to do it?
2. When you go for the hatchery achievement, do you rescue the second group of rebels (and get the resources) or just leave them to die?
3. How many barracks should I build for marines and how many barracks for medics (if any, someone said to do it without medics)?
4. At the start, should I always, always have a CSV in the queue or should I get my x barracks ASAP?
5. Is it better to defend on the bridges or on the ramp inside? I read people saying to defend on the ramp inside, but that means my attack army has to run further to get to the hatcheries when they move out, so I don't know...
6. When defending on the bridges, when should I build my 2nd, 3rd, 4th bunker on the right? When on the left?
The way I did it was:
1. I didn't rescue the rebels until I got my first 2 medics out so I would take 0 losses.
2. I rescued the 2nd and 3rd group of rebels along with the first group.
3. I had 3 barracks; 2 double marines, 1 medics. Continuously make units but don't set the rally point to your main army when you push out. Queue up a full row on each and set it at the ramp to fend off attacks until your army returns from killing the hatcheries. My army that I pushed with was about 105 units, probably 80 of those were marines.
4. SCVs, take the 2nd gas and make an engineering bay for both upgrades. The upgrades are the key to the achievement.
5. I defended on the ramp and it worked well.
My strat for actually killing the 4 hatcheries was to push out at 6 minutes and push into the leftmost zerg base (the base right next to the 3rd group of rebels). Kill your way in and take our the 3 hatcheries and retreat slowly, killing units that pursued. I then pushed into the middle base from the left side and killed up to the 1st hatchery. After you kill the 4th hatchery, you must rush back to your base by 2 minutes. As long as you didn't lose half your army and have 70+ on the ramp, the zerg shouldn't even break through even without bunkers.
Edited by burnthesky on 9/18/2012 11:42 PM PDT
With me, here is how I did it and even managed to do it on brutal.
I pulled my forces to the top of the ramp and salvaged the bottom two bunkers. I made sure to have a solid line of defense with 2-3 scv's constantly repairing. I kept making workers constantly until fully saturated.
By the end, I had 5 barracks. 4 with reactors and 1 with a tech lab. I had about 120 marines with 6 medics I sent out my massive force and made sure to leave the other bunkers filled. I had about 10 workers on repair cuz a lot of the mineral patches were mined out. I then went to the north entrance and just started taking out all the zerg.
The best way to determine when you need another barracks is this. If you constantly have 4-5 marines qued up in a row, make a barracks. Better to have 2 barracks pumping out units than to have marines being lined up, only to have one at a time make it out. Same thing if you have only two barracks.
You really only need 4-6 medics at most. People try and make their force have 1/4 medics or whatever but in reality, only 4-6 at exposed to damage at once. Any more medics would be overkill.
Hope this helps and do not forget the +1 armor and weapon upgrades.
I was thinking this too. Some people say 1 medic for each 2 marines, other 1 in 5, but I saw alot of idle medics when I went in with my 20/60 force. Ofcourse, with 100+ marines, you probably got alot of idle marines too!
Also, I think I need to learn how to attack better with a big force: it seems to me that only the front 15 marines are shooting,t he rest just wait till the front ones die :(
When you say 6 minutes, do you mean after 6 minutes in the game or when the timer is at 6 minutes (so, after 14 minutes) ?
After 14 minutes
Move (not A-move) your force in until all of your marines are hitting something
Edited by burnthesky on 9/19/2012 7:17 AM PDT
Do the stutter-step technique into the fight. This technique allows your marine group to move closer to the enemy so the rear ones can fire, while still getting shots off and doing damage with the front ones that are already close enough.
Above video explains the basic technique in one minute.
The video shows it being used to move back while still shooting to avoid damage from approaching zealots, but you can use the exact same technique while moving forward to close the gap against enemy ranged units like roaches and hydras (if your fingers are quick enough, when you're stutter-stepping forward it's even better to alternate right-click with A-click rather then with S, but the S method will still work).
Edited by Symphony on 9/19/2012 12:15 PM PDT
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.