Outbreak on Brutal isn't hard enough

I know some people have trouble with it, but On Brutal i found a strategy that can last you for aslong as your minerals last... Or Longer.

You use 6 Siege Tanks on teh main two paths, and two tanks on the third path, backed up by perdition turrets. Upgrading weapons for tanks makes them kill even more in one shot.
This Strategy... Lasts you for forever as the Tanks usually kill everything that comes into sight, if your turrets never get damaged, then you can go on forever.

I honestly feel that Outbreak on Brutal Difficulty atleast, needs to be De-nerfed.
Tanking with firebats in the beginning works very well, just put them on hold position, put medics behind them, and concentrate on getting the tanks and turrets made. You're golden after that. It is Brutal Difficulty, Outbreak is the only mission i can do on Brutal, except for the first mission.

My ultimate point is, Brutal on Outbreak isn't really proportional to, say... Zero Hour on Brutal Difficulty, in fact it's easier than Zero Hour to be honest.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
Of course Outbreak is easy if you put it off that long. It's first available around the time you get Reapers. If you don't play it until you have Siege Tanks and Perdition Turrets, it's not going to be a challenge at all.
Reply Quote
When you have siege tanks and flame turrets and all that, it's gonna be VERY easy. It's an early mission that you are using advanced tech on. Try without reapers or tanks and only level 1 zerg tech. Then you can call it a challenge.
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 05:44 PMPosted by Xombie
When you have siege tanks and flame turrets and all that, it's gonna be VERY easy. It's an early mission that you are using advanced tech on. Try without reapers or tanks and only level 1 zerg tech. Then you can call it a challenge.

Basically this.

I only had a hellion in my factory to double produce and the rest are marauders/marines/firebats/medics.

It gets extremely hard at the 6th night wave because of the fact that those aberrations (which will now have spawned 6+ at a time) will eat through your defense while the infested marines support him from behind. Think of it as an ultralisk and zergling combo when breaking through except the zerglings are ranged.....

Also leaving only 1 infested base alone after killing all the rest was a BAD idea especially in brutal because it still spawns the same amount of infested zergs as when you have had 30 buildings left over...
Edited by Tetron on 9/20/2012 9:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It is ridiculously easy with Siege Tanks but it is also a barrel of laughs.

It's pretty easy with just Reapers and actually more fun, IMO.

It's not a difficult mission but it is one of my favorites.
Reply Quote
I played through it on brutal today and it was actually fairly laughable compared to a lot of other missions even without tanks or turrets.

- 3-5 bunkers at each base entrance depending on choke size.
- +1 range research
- Fortified bunker tech
- 6 slot bunker research
- maurader slow shots research
- fill bunkers with mostly marines with some marauders for slow
- use 200 minerals per night on bunker repairs solely because of triple aberation
- have 15 firebats and 4 medics in a group supporting the side that gets hit hardest

Marines and marauders kill virtually everything before it gets in range of the bunker. Got bored at night 10 and finished the level. Didn't really get any harder after night 7 or 8.
Edited by burnthesky on 9/22/2012 12:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 09:56 AMPosted by Dryss
Of course Outbreak is easy if you put it off that long. It's first available around the time you get Reapers. If you don't play it until you have Siege Tanks and Perdition Turrets, it's not going to be a challenge at all.

QFT try doing it with just helions and without perdition turrets.

Not so easy on brutal.
Reply Quote
While your mileage may vary, Outbreak is pretty simple even on brutal; I still do it for fun and my macro skills suck. I've probably played it more than any other mission. I even made a video but I've posted the link so many times that one more isn't likely to make any difference.

All you need to do are to create an adequate defense at the two top chokes, to stop the breakthrough at the south choke on night three and to make and use as many Reapers as your gas allows. Don't waste time with expanding, don't wait for tanks or perdition turrets or anything else, don't waste gas on anything but a few medics and a very few Firebats. You just need to shout GERONIMO! and let the Reapers roll.

Of course, there are many optional ways of doing things that may seem fun and I'm not discouraging that. In fact, if I could figure out a viable strategy to win using nukes I would definitely give it a try:).
Reply Quote
09/23/2012 07:28 AMPosted by DiamondDave
Of course, there are many optional ways of doing things that may seem fun and I'm not discouraging that. In fact, if I could figure out a viable strategy to win using nukes I would definitely give it a try:).
Is the problem with nukes and ghosts running out of gas?
Reply Quote
09/23/2012 01:53 PMPosted by burnthesky
Is the problem with nukes and ghosts running out of gas?

Yes, there's no extra gas anywhere.

That isn't to say that Ghosts wouldn't be part of a fun strategy. I'm guessing one could build a wall of Ghosts and shoot Infested for ever. I may have to try it.
Reply Quote
09/24/2012 03:38 PMPosted by DiamondDave
That isn't to say that Ghosts wouldn't be part of a fun strategy. I'm guessing one could build a wall of Ghosts and shoot Infested for ever. I may have to try it.

Tis fun doing it that way. Infinite cloak, hold position, wait a few weeks. The banshee upgrades are also fun in this one. Hell, any units are fun. Just not thors. They kinda suck against the mass.
Reply Quote
I don't think I've played Outbreak on brutal, but its always been one of my favorite missions. If you play through Tosh's campaign before doing it, you can use specters ( or ghosts ) to create an invisible impassable choke for all the infested. So far as I know no detectors spawn, so you need about 6 set on hold position for each base entrance.

Add a reaper hit squad jumping out whenever and you should have no problems, or need to micro, lol.
Reply Quote
You will one to do Devil's playground and Smash and grab

use reapers to clear out the bases with infestors first. Then camp helions there so when night comes they will get roasted

Keep Maruders aroudn to kill abberations
Reply Quote
Does anybody win this mission on brutal just with marines, firebats & hellions?
Edited by Baxxax on 12/16/2014 8:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
Actually if you really want it to be easy you could wait to have Banshees before tackling the Outbreak mission. There are very few detectors and Banshees will tear those infested a new one as long as the detectors are gone and the Banshees are cloaked.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]