StarCraft® II

Why isn't the chat bug fixed yet?

Honestly, it's been well over 2 years now. When I'm typing a long message in-game, why can I not see the entire right side of the chat bar? I understand it's low-priority, but so are a ton of other things that have been fixed.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
This is the first I've heard about this. I'll see if it is Mac specific. Can you post a screenshot of this?
Reply Quote
^ That in itself is completely mind-boggling, but okay, here are screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/TvIqc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DBZ8w.jpg

In both shots, I have text typed out to the very end of the bar. I just can't see the last few characters and haven't been able to for 2.5 years. Applies to messages sent to chatrooms as well as whisper conversations with other people.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I've tested this out, and I was unable to reproduce it for Mac. Can you post your system specs so I can look at this?

Obtaining System Information
    1. Hold the 'Option' Key and choose System Profiler/Information from the Apple Menu.

2. Copy the information from the following sections:
  • Hardware (remove the Serial Number line)
  • Graphics/Displays
  • Software (remove the Computer Name and User Name lines)
Reply Quote
I have the same problem.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.47f2
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
ROM Revision: 3427
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
System Software Overview:
System Version: OS X 10.8.1 (12B19)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.1.0
Boot Volume: MacHD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Reply Quote
I've tested this out, and I was unable to reproduce it for Mac. Can you post your system specs so I can look at this?

Obtaining System Information
    1. Hold the 'Option' Key and choose System Profiler/Information from the Apple Menu.

2. Copy the information from the following sections:
  • Hardware (remove the Serial Number line)
  • Graphics/Displays
  • Software (remove the Computer Name and User Name lines)

What?

I assure you, it's reproducible. It occurs on all four computers I've played SC2 on since beta, two MacBook Pros and two iMacs (one of each from 2006/7 and one of each from 2011/12, running OS's from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion). Are you sure you're typing to someone not in the game (i.e. a chatroom or a private conversation with another player)? It does not occur when just talking to the other player in the game; you have to be chatting with someone outside of the game.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Would this include like a Real ID friend who is playing WoW or D3? Do they need to initiate the whisper or chat first?
Reply Quote
I'm not sure, I don't have any Real ID friends who play WoW or D3.

But ok, here are the exact circumstances under which it occurs.

1. You are already in a chatroom or in a whisper conversation with someone (i.e. the box exists on the lower bar with the name on it, even if there is no text in the box and neither of you have said anything). It doesn't matter who initiates. You enter a game. You then chat with the person/chatroom via pressing enter and then tab to select the recipient.

2. You are not in a chatroom or whisper conversation. You enter a game. You initiate a chat with a friend via typing /w and selecting the recipient.

3. You are not in a chatroom or whisper conversation. You enter a game. You receive a message and reply via pressing enter and then tab to cycle to them.

Here are the circumstances under which it does NOT occur.

1. You are in a chatroom or in a whisper conversation with someone (i.e. the box exists on the lower bar with the name on it, even if there is no text in the box and neither of you have said anything). You enter a game. You then chat with the person via going into the friends list menu and double clicking their name. The bug will still apply to subsequent messages if using enter-tab.

Obviously this circumstance only applies to friends, because double clicking the chat-box for someone who isn't a friend brings up the actual dialog box instead of the smaller chat-message directly above the interface.

2. You are in a chatroom or in a whisper conversation with someone (i.e. the box exists on the lower bar with the name on it, even if there is no text in the box and neither of you have said anything). You enter a game. You then chat with the person via going into a chatroom and right-clicking their name and selecting 'chat.' The bug will still apply to subsequent messages if you use enter-tab.

Hope this clears things up.
Edited by jerm on 10/2/2012 1:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I'll send this up for further review by our team and see what is up. Thanks for the detailed description :)
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Just an update on this. This is something we've reproduced and logged. This will be addressed in a future update. No ETA, but it is now on the radar.
Edited by Machkhan on 10/7/2012 10:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Good to hear. Thanks, Machkhan.
Reply Quote
:O Is this really something that was just never supported? It was around all the way back in beta, but it never seemed particularly important. Glad to hear it's getting fixed though.

In my experience it applies to pretty much all in game chat, regardless of whether it's a whisper.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]