New Graphics card

Hey
I'm getting a HD 7870, and it's going to be from Asus
Only question is, whether to get the V2, or the normal one.
Can someone explain the difference between these two?
And also, what fps will i get?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121624
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121649
Reply Quote
depends on resolution what resolution, and fps doesn't just depend on the graphics card, your cpu plays a huge part. I would say though the Normal is better than the V2.
Reply Quote
DC II and DC II V2 has a cooling difference; V2 cools slightly better.

That's about it.
Reply Quote
I'm playing on 1920x 1080
So there should be no significant difference between the normal and the v2?
I'm planning on overclocking, will there be a difference?
And Guitarist, what resolution do you play at?
Reply Quote
There seems like there's a memory interface difference
It says effective memory bandwidth- 256 bit, but the memory interface is 32 bit
The other one has a memory interface of 256- bit
Am I going to see a difference in these too and cna someone explain what the memory banwith/ interface does?
Thanks
Reply Quote
One more question, I have a phenom2 x4 955 as of now, what's the bottleneck going to be like, or will there be a bottleneck at all?
It's oc'd to 3.9 ghz
Reply Quote
They are exactly the same in terms of hardware feature. Clocks may be different but you can change that on your own.

Phenom II X4 will not be that big of a bottleneck normally, but once you do things that really stress out CPUs, you may notice it
Edited by Hibachi on 9/23/2012 8:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok I think that's it thanks a lot Hibachi!
Reply Quote
What's your cpu?
Do you get fps drops towards the end if and when you do play on the highest settings?
Reply Quote
Ok , so I should get playable fps throughout a game, at the highest settings?
Reply Quote
All right One more question
The one I'm getting is the one with one dvi port, and I was wondering if I could drive a second vga/dvi monitor using that graphics card.
I know I can use another gpu to drive it, but is there a mini displayport to dvi or hdmi to dvi?
Thanks
Reply Quote
There are. Tons of HDMI <-> DVI adapters, as well as displayport <-> DVI.

Check monoprice
Reply Quote
Ok thanks
Reply Quote
Actually, Can you link me one? One that either goes from mini dipslay port male to dvi male or hdmi male to dvi male?
Reply Quote
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246#1024604
Reply Quote
All right One more question
The one I'm getting is the one with one dvi port, and I was wondering if I could drive a second vga/dvi monitor using that graphics card.
I know I can use another gpu to drive it, but is there a mini displayport to dvi or hdmi to dvi?
Thanks

They both have DVI ports. The first one has one DVI, one HDMI and two mini display ports. Second one has two DVI ports and an HDMI port and an display port.

Should be able to connect up to four external monitors using two or three of the outputs (Not all four).

I would get this model instead.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131467

It uses the reference cooling design AMD uses on their own cards. It's quieter, only needs one fan, and that fan is considerably quieter. Also should the fan fail the card should still function without issue when not running anything 3D intensive (i.e. games). The ASUS models appear to use two fans that blow air down onto (rather than across) the surface of the card and possibly back into your case rather (sure looks that way).

Why are you upgrading anyway? I have an old ATI 5870 and it plays the game more than adequately. I don't see why you'd need such a card.
Edited by Laraul on 10/2/2012 5:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]