StarCraft® II

Try to launch starcraft but will not start

I am having a problem with my starcraft after I had to get a new hard drive installed. Originally all of the data was copied over but I had this problem. I have since deleted everything and reinstalled at least twice. This problem seems to have started around that same time but I am not sure exactly when this started happening. Here is what happens.

When I try to launch starcraft the updater goes to 50% right away and the bottom left says no problems detected for about 1 second then it changes to "tracker not responding" then the updater window closes with no errors popping up. The launcher remains open but nothing happens. I have to quite the launcher to try again with the same result. When I deleted and did a reinstall it went through an update process for a few updates I think but ultimately came to the same end.

I tried some suggestions from the page linked below but I don't see a launcher.db file in the applications/starcraft2 folder. I can't find it with the finder either. Not sure if this is the same as anyone else is having or not. I tried the repair and updater with no luck. When I try to open the repair item nothing actually opens that I can tell. I think the updater says there is nothing new to install.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6232073339?page=1#13

When i do get info for starcraft launcher it says i have version 2.1.2.
I haven't been able to play it for months now and I am not sure what might have caused it. I don't think I have installed a lot of programs recently so I don't know if it is a program conflict or what.

Help is much appreciated, thanks
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Are you installing from a disk? It sounds like you're installing from an older version of StarCraft II, pre 1.5.

It is best to try the StarCraft II 1.5 installer, located on Battle.net: https://us.battle.net/account/management/download/

Would you mind giving that a try?
Reply Quote
I tried that, and when the install window opens and you accept the terms the window changes to the downloader/installer where it says activate or already activated then almost immediately a window pops up saying
ERROR: Sorry, Starcraft 2 cannot be installed on a case-sensitive volume.

I did not delete the old Starcraft 2 files, do I need to do that first?

EDIT: Ok I tried deleting all previous starcraft data then running the program. Same error.
Edited by Choko on 9/24/2012 12:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Sorry, Starcraft 2 cannot be installed on a case-sensitive volume.

Do you have a case-sensitive volume?
Reply Quote
09/24/2012 11:13 AMPosted by Machkhan
Sorry, Starcraft 2 cannot be installed on a case-sensitive volume.

Do you have a case-sensitive volume?

To be honest I don't know what a case sensitive volume is. I haven't done anything special in terms of formating my computer as far as i know. I run OS 10.6.8
I ran disk utility and it said it detected a case sensitive volume.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Then this is why the installation fails :(

Case sensitive volume allows files to be named the same thing in the same directory but be different by capitol letters. (document.txt vs Document.txt). This causes issues with our games where it cannot be installed.

To not have a case-sensitive volume, you'll need to reformat the volume to a Mac OS Journaled volume. You will want to contact your local Apple Authorized Service Provider for assistance if this is something you want to do and need help on.
Reply Quote

To not have a case-sensitive volume, you'll need to reformat the volume to a Mac OS Journaled volume. You will want to contact your local Apple Authorized Service Provider for assistance if this is something you want to do and need help on.

Well as I want to play starcraft I guess this is something I will have to do. Maybe it had to do with the way they installed the replacement drive I had. From reading elsewhere online it sounds like I need to back up my computer and reformat my hard drive. I will call the apple repair place where I got service and see what they say.

I really hope I am not permanently prevented from playing starcraft. Would this be something that the newest patched changed? If so I don't think it would be fair for Blizzard to make an update to their game which now suddenly prevents a certain percentage of its customers from playing it without paying for other upgrades.

Thanks for the help.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I really hope I am not permanently prevented from playing starcraft. Would this be something that the newest patched changed? If so I don't think it would be fair for Blizzard to make an update to their game which now suddenly prevents a certain percentage of its customers from playing it without paying for other upgrades.

Thanks for the help.

Blizzard games were never compatible with case-sensitive volumes. If you recently got your HDD fixed, maybe it was restored on a case-sensitive image? This makes sense if you were playing before and had taken it in for service and then got a HDD swapped. I would check with the service place and see.
Reply Quote
Well dang it. I just swapped my drive and didn't pay attention to this - just figured what the hey and created the volume. First time I went to install a new patch and all I can say is... Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajsNJtnUb7c ]

Now to clone to a new drive and format this drive back to non-case sensitive.

BTW I don't understand why this is an issue. Surely if you don't support case sensitive volumes then none of your files should conflict...

Anyway I'm not going to get this fixed without me following the rules...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]