StarCraft® II

Graphics Cards

So first, I was looking at the GTX 560 ti, but thought better of it. Then I was looking at the AMD 7870, but decided against it. I figured that I didn't have to spend $250 to get a GPU that runs SC2 well (Optimally 100+ FPS on High).
I want a GPU that is around the $150 range but I can go up to $200 if needs be.
Any help?
Reply Quote
It's pathetic that Blizzard won't release Starcraft 2 for Xbox. Computer gaming is it's own little business, you buy a graphics card for $200, 3 weeks later a new one comes out and your convinced that you have a piece of garbage. If you have an Xbox, there's no problem with graphics cards. And because the computer gaming industry is so expensive, less people who played the original Starcraft will be less willing to buy this game, in effect less income of money. If it were for Xbox as well, more people would buy the game, why?, because an Xbox is an Xbox. Yes i realize that the graphics for P.C. compared to Xbox are WAY better, however, would you rather play a game that has major lag? or a game with A LOT less lag but with a pathetically small difference in graphics? Mojang released Minecraft for Xbox, and now it's one of the most popular games on the Xbox LIVE arcade. You buy an Alienware computer for $3,000 and in a year, there's a newer and faster one out. now your stuck with a peice of garbage. NOW if you buy an Xbox for $150-$300, it will be a good five or six years until an newer and faster one comes out. RELEASE STARCRAFT 2 FOR XBOX PLEASE!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
If Blizzard released SC2 for Xbox....
I think I'd rather have my expensive rig and be able to play at a higher pace. If Sc2 was released for Xbox, I would lose the little faith I still have in Blizzard.
Besides, what did that response have anything to do with my post?
Edited by Vader on 9/27/2012 4:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You are absolutely right about not needed a card that costs $250 or more for SC2.
I would recommend checking out this thread for good info
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6293460070

On a side note, I have an HD 7870 Ghz edition. It is a beast on SC2. Can run Crysis 2 at 40-50 fps on ultra. Worth every cent if you have the $ to spare.
Reply Quote
It has nothing to do with your post. I'm just trying to put this message on as many posts that i possibly can so that Blizzard might actually release SC2 for Xbox.
Reply Quote
Vader, what is your CPU? SC2 is a CPU intensive game. If you have an old or poor processor, not even $1000 GTX 690 will save you.
Reply Quote
This is for my build, so the CPU will be an i5-3450.
I am currently looking at the HD 7770 and the HD 6850.

I had looked at the 7870 but, as I said, I didn't reaaally want to spend $250 on GPU alone.
as for the cards I'm looking at, the are pretty much the same price ($5 difference after rebate on NewEgg) but on is 256 bit and the other is 128 bit. What is the difference between these?
Edited by Vader on 9/28/2012 5:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
256 bits vs 128 bits refers how many binary digits the card reads per per line of machine code. However dont really worry about bit rate as many other factors also contribute to the quality and speed of the card.

Best way to judge which is better is to use benchmarks done by pros to evaluate which you want.

This article deals with the evaluation of the 7770 and compares it to the 6850 and other cards.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5541/amd-radeon-hd-7750-radeon-hd-7770-ghz-edition-review/18

Specifically this chart is about the performance in SC2. The 6850 wins on Ultra.

In addition, Toms Hardware has a hierarchy on vid cards. Once again, the 6850 is in a higher tier than the 7770.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
Edited by DanOWar on 9/28/2012 8:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Then you should look at HD 7850. Under $200, will run many games excellently.

If not, look into GTX 560 / HD 6870. You can find deals on these frequently enough, with many of them costing about $140 after rebates. Either of these two cards outperform HD 7770 / HD 6850 by a good margin

Ensure you get a quality 500W power supply
Edited by Hibachi on 9/28/2012 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey Dan what fps do you get?
Reply Quote
EVGA GTX 660 SC !!
Reply Quote
i just got a gtx 550 ti for 150 and it runs it beautifuly. on all ultra it hits around 60 to 70 fps mostly ultra and a few on high i am well over 100fps highly recomend this card
Reply Quote
09/26/2012 11:23 AMPosted by Evbuscus
It's pathetic that Blizzard won't release Starcraft 2 for Xbox. Computer gaming is it's own little business, you buy a graphics card for $200, 3 weeks later a new one comes out and your convinced that you have a piece of garbage. If you have an Xbox, there's no problem with graphics cards. And because the computer gaming industry is so expensive, less people who played the original Starcraft will be less willing to buy this game, in effect less income of money. If it were for Xbox as well, more people would buy the game, why?, because an Xbox is an Xbox. Yes i realize that the graphics for P.C. compared to Xbox are WAY better, however, would you rather play a game that has major lag? or a game with A LOT less lag but with a pathetically small difference in graphics? Mojang released Minecraft for Xbox, and now it's one of the most popular games on the Xbox LIVE arcade. You buy an Alienware computer for $3,000 and in a year, there's a newer and faster one out. now your stuck with a peice of garbage. NOW if you buy an Xbox for $150-$300, it will be a good five or six years until an newer and faster one comes out. RELEASE STARCRAFT 2 FOR XBOX PLEASE!!!!!!!

Don't think SC2 would run very well on an xbox 360. With 7 year old hardware, you're gonna get low quality and blurry interpolated graphics.
Edited by AmericanSCV on 10/21/2012 3:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It's pretty sad that you have to complain about that, this game is relatively new in the fact that games like minecraft have been out for many years and are done with most of their computer updates, and then are released to Xbox. I think they are gonna finish all tweaks finish the 3rd game then release for Xbox.
Reply Quote
You do realize that more and more games come out that has better engines that's why better graphics come out every few months or so, besides sc2 wouldnt work on the xbox cause theres too many hot keys for the xbox for it to work smoothly. Plus graphics on consoles are !@#$ing %^-*, you can't tell the difference between a blob of green to a tree with leaves. In a BF3 comparison with console and pc the console has a lot of missing frames and details compared to a pc that doesn't miss any detail as long as you have a decent mid tier graphics card. Don't even get me started with controls, what I said before was just common sense and it seems like you don't have one since what you're saying seems like it's saying consoles are the master race.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]