StarCraft® II

Tell me there is hope!

Hello there!,

I was the kind of player that have some bad habit regarding Sc2 mechanics and i wanted to correct that so i started to watch some mechanics videos on youtube and some teaching stream and i realized the player who was screen scrooling a lot, didn't really use hotkeys for my armies, never scouted enough, etc.. etc... like fundamental mechanics

So... ! after watching good players using those mechanics, i really wanted to be able to use them to get even better because i really trust that having good mechanics can improve your game. I tried applying exactly those mechanics and i started to play sooooo bad because i wasn't used to not scroll or not to hotkey ... but i really force myself in these mechanics... i currently try to improve but it takes so much concentration that other things that was going well before start to fall apart etc.. etc...

So tell me that if i continue doing this i will surely continue to improve and everything will fall back into play AND I will have good mechanics.
Reply Quote
I'm in masters and I only cannon rush. There's hope.
Reply Quote
You are going about this the wrong way. By trying to do everything at once, you will develop more bad habits that you will need to break then by not having good mechanics in the first place. Everygame there should be a minimum of 3 things for you to improve upon that game.

Example:
1: Constant SCV's,
2: Camera keys, F1 - F4, or w.e you have bound them to, use this whenever I want to jump to my expos. Set at the start of the game, if I don't, leave the game immediately.
3: Mineral line saturation, even spread of Scv's, watch the Nodes as the clock gets to 18 minutes, transfer appropriate SCV's. Keep it tight, 16 at three expos is the target goal, not including workers.

This takes care of your macro. If you have a bank early game that isn't good, once you have nailed these basic mechanics, then set new goals, Banking minerals, production vs supply vs income, timing pushes. These will get you to the build order, the production management and the production of units. This might be your next logical step as an example.

Trying to do everything at once without having a real focus for what you are trying to do and instead leave yourself admonishing your mistake after mistake through the entire game will erode any confidence you have, you will feel lost and probably make some asinine post on B-net showcasing how clueless you really are to improving. There are lots of resources out there, maybe you should have asked for those instead.
Reply Quote
Yeah, try the 10 game practice pattern, Pick one thing that you want to nail down for 10 games. If you find yourself supply blocked routinely, pick that and for 10 games make sure to always have enough supply for each production cycle. Focus so much on making supply at a good pace (never too much/never ever blocked) that you lose because you can't do the other stuff. Than play a regular game. With all the drilling on building supply it will start to become "muscle memory" and in your regular game you will find yourself building supply before you get blocked (mostly, it will slip slightly cause your focusing on other stuff).
Reply Quote
Community Manager
It's tough to break bad habits! Any change to your mechanics can potentially result in some struggles while you get accustomed to the change. It can take some time to rebound, but with good practice habits such as the ones suggested by a few of the above posters can help reduce the impact this will have on your play. All in all, correcting bad habits like the ones you've mentioned will likely help you improve in the long run; you just have to stick with it and see it through.

GLHF!
Reply Quote
Habits are like DTs with Psi Storm.

You don't notice them until, suddenly, your entire mineral line is covered in lightning.
Reply Quote
As long as your will remains strong you will do better. Apply one mechanic at a time until you master it. Then apply the next. Applying them all at the same time can be overwhelming.
Reply Quote
Yup it gets better. I remember when I was low masters and felt I needed to learn the camera F-N keys. . . at first I played worse but now I play much better from the temporary pain.
Reply Quote
As Aldrexus said, its really hard to break bad habits. Even changing my Nexus hotkeys from 8-9-0 to 6 was pretty hard. I know it sounds easy, but I was so used to reaching over for my Nexi, that changing over to 6 was hard. Don't worry, there is always hope!
Reply Quote
You are going about this the wrong way. By trying to do everything at once, you will develop more bad habits that you will need to break then by not having good mechanics in the first place. Everygame there should be a minimum of 3 things for you to improve upon that game.

Example:
1: Constant SCV's,
2: Camera keys, F1 - F4, or w.e you have bound them to, use this whenever I want to jump to my expos. Set at the start of the game, if I don't, leave the game immediately.
3: Mineral line saturation, even spread of Scv's, watch the Nodes as the clock gets to 18 minutes, transfer appropriate SCV's. Keep it tight, 16 at three expos is the target goal, not including workers.

This takes care of your macro. If you have a bank early game that isn't good, once you have nailed these basic mechanics, then set new goals, Banking minerals, production vs supply vs income, timing pushes. These will get you to the build order, the production management and the production of units. This might be your next logical step as an example.

Trying to do everything at once without having a real focus for what you are trying to do and instead leave yourself admonishing your mistake after mistake through the entire game will erode any confidence you have, you will feel lost and probably make some asinine post on B-net showcasing how clueless you really are to improving. There are lots of resources out there, maybe you should have asked for those instead.

the camera stuff isnt important, your definition of macro is more along the lines of income, and micro is very important too.

I agree with Anesthetic. The camera portions aren't too important until you hit high plat/diamond. I noticed you are in Gold: This is the time you should be working on one or two things you are having a problem with in the early-mid game. Not getting supply blocked, keeping saturation on bases, keeping up production cycles, scouting and learning timings, stuff like that.

Additionally, micro will start to matter more now. Having good macro will get you pretty far, but getting micro down well, especially with good macro, means that you are that much further ahead of people at your level.

Having just started 1v1ing again for the first time since May or early June, a lot has changed, and I find myself running into all sorts of problems. Now, I am having constant problems with supply blocks, which I didn't really before. I know it is hard to break bad habits, but there is hope if you are willing to work on the problems you have. Forget about winning or losing for a while, and just buckle down on a few things you have seen problems with. Using myself as an example, I need to work on learning when I should throw down extra production, when I need to build supply as every race, and keeping all my production cycles going. So, for the next while, that is what I will focus on. If I get demoted, will I care? I might get a bit mad for a while, but if I really belong where it is trying to stick me, I will get moved back where I am.
Reply Quote
I don't know if there's hope. I have all my hatches on 5, then each queen seperately on 6, 7, 8, 9. It's not a good way as I have no way of checking my inject progress once injects stop being perfect and I can't use queen energy as an idicator. I haven't been to change over to binding hatches and not queens, I don't know why. It's VERY hard to change how you mechanically play the game, or do anything in life for that matter, once you've been doing it a certain way for a long time.
Reply Quote
10/02/2012 11:27 AMPosted by sGSyntax
Dude backspace jumps to your bases, I set it to space bar to avoid doing this, lol.
Reply Quote
10/02/2012 02:59 PMPosted by Riderdouble
Dude backspace jumps to your bases, I set it to space bar to avoid doing this, lol.
THIS, really helps... but im zerg, so idk how much you would need that.
Reply Quote
When I played BW (terribly) I developed the habit of having my fingers on 1, a, and control.
Moving my hand three letters to the right was a difficult adjustment, but now I can actually use hotkeys. ; P
Reply Quote
Thx everyone!!! Going to use all the advice and work hard !!
Reply Quote
I don't know why you are trying not to use hotkeys. Hotkeys are very important and make the game much easier to play. Also, scrolling is not good, but occasional scrolling is fine. Further, if you are in gold, scrolling is not a big issue. Focus on basic macro, such as, constant worker production, not getting supply blocked, and keeping your resources low.
Reply Quote
10/02/2012 02:55 PMPosted by hunts
I don't know if there's hope. I have all my hatches on 5, then each queen seperately on 6, 7, 8, 9. It's not a good way as I have no way of checking my inject progress once injects stop being perfect and I can't use queen energy as an idicator. I haven't been to change over to binding hatches and not queens, I don't know why. It's VERY hard to change how you mechanically play the game, or do anything in life for that matter, once you've been doing it a certain way for a long time.

backspace method!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]