StarCraft® II

[Bug] Camera clipping and graphical artifacts

For years I've been wanting to do a first or third person view in an RPG, but to do so I need to be able to change the camera clipping based on the area the player is in. When altering these camera settings, eventually graphical artifacts appear, and this has occurred on multiple graphics cards over the years, so I know it's not just me. (GeForce GTX 260 and ATI Radeon R6870 to name a couple I've used if it's relevant)

While first and third person games do exist, their framerates aren't greatly hindered due to the mediocre number of assets located on the screen at any given time, but once you surpass a certain amount, not being able to reduce the far clip becomes a huge issue for performance.

Also note these graphical artifacts appear in the terrain window when altering the camera settings in real time.
Reply Quote
Not sure what you mean by terrain window when you're changing it in real time. I'm assuming real time means while testing and changing the settings via trigger?

You should be able to reduce the far clip, why aren't you able to?

Making changes to the camera can be tricky if you don't know what all the fields do or even which field to change (because there are multiple fields with the same name). Try messing with the default game camera and changing zoom level 0's settings.
Reply Quote
I am working on something similar at the moment and the solution i have found that works moderately well comes from a tutorial by onetwoSC that might help for 3rd person shooter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S_dyTVodkk

otherwise you could use a trigger to reduce the far clip in game
Reply Quote
Nunu: When I refer to modifying the camera setting in real time in the terrain window, I mean altering the camera settings via the window located under "View -> Camera -> Camera Editor". I stated this to let it be known that the artifacts I'm referring to don't need the game to be loaded into the SC2 client to be seen.

If you lower the near clip you will see graphical artifacts right away. Modifying far clip exclusively doesn't produce artifacts as often.

Also, when I stated " not being able to reduce the far clip becomes a huge issue for performance" in my initial post - what I meant was "Not being able to alter the far clip to prevent graphical artifacts from occuring becomes a huge issue for performance."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]