StarCraft® II

Help with Buttons and Event Triggers

Any idea what could be going wrong with this trigger?? It works when I change the event to elapsed time = x .

P1 Red Pill
Events
UI - Player Any Player presses Red Pill
Local Variables
Conditions
(Triggering player) == 1
(Player 1 Minerals) >= 5000
(Player 1 Vespene) >= 3000
Actions
Unit Group - Pick each unit in (Red Marine units in Battlefield owned by player Any Player matching No Unit Filter, with at most Any Amount) and do (Actions)
Actions
Environment - Execute Splash Damage on (Picked unit) from player 1
Environment - Execute Splash Damage on (Picked unit) from player 2
Environment - Create a Small Terran explosion at (Position of (Picked unit))
Unit Group - Pick each unit in (Blue Marine units in Battlefield owned by player Any Player matching Excluded: Worker, Missile, Dead, Hidden, Benign, Passive, with at most Any Amount) and do (Actions)
Actions
Unit Group - Pick each unit in (Space Marine units in Battlefield owned by player Any Player matching Excluded: Worker, Missile, Dead, Hidden, Benign, Passive, with at most Any Amount) and do (Actions)
Actions
Trigger - Turn p1s marines Off
Trigger - Turn p1s marines red On
Tech Tree - Disallow Take the Red Pill for player 1
Tech Tree - Disallow Take the Blue Pill for player 1
Reply Quote
You need to learn how to debug triggers and how to ask better questions.

Actually, I think these are the exact same skill because once you can do one then you can do the other.

basic recipe for problem solving everything in life ever!!!:
  • ISOLATE what the problem is. ie WHAT is not working?
  • trace the problem to its root cause
  • figure out how to fix the root cause or ask someone if you are having trouble
  • problem is either solved, unsolvable or unknown.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the random hostility. Do you have anything useful to tell me?
Reply Quote
I actually solved the problem by just going a different route with what triggers the actions, but I still don't understand why the Button Pressed event isn't working. The trigger used to work fine and the only think stopping it when it wasn't was that event.
Edited by IgnusVanMule on 10/8/2012 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't think turtles was being hostile. A little over-emphatic and understandably perceived as condescending, but just trying to offer some relevant ideas on a question that's hard to answer without very similar experience. I tried briefly to reproduce the problem from the information given and have no better guess than that "Red Pill" is a broken game link, so I can relate to the dissatisfaction with content chosen in the posing of the question. Anyway, I'm glad you got a workaround. I just wish people in general (myself definitely included) would be less quick to take the negative interpretation.
Reply Quote
exasperated is a better word.

Like I said you need to be able to isolate what problem you are having and then communicate them clearly.

I can literally think of at least 20 things that could be going wrong with your triggers and the list grows the more I think of it.

Isolating the problem is the first step.

EDIT: and sorry for snarkiness. But it's true.
Edited by turtles on 10/8/2012 1:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]