StarCraft® II

Why is stuff like Squadron STILL front page?

The blame is the SC2 player base but Blizzard is the only one who can do anything about it.

If you target a market full of stupid people (which Blizzard's customer base is notorious for) you need to do all of the "thinking" for them.

In this case Blizzard needs to show them the right list because most of them are too stupid/lazy to press a single button.

It may not be Blizzard's fault this time, but its still their job to fix it.
Reply Quote
My personal view on why games like Squad TD are #1 is this:
Mapmakers and big players in the gaming industry believe the quality of the presentation and the technical prowess of their games makes the game more fun.

This is false. Good looking does not equal fun. At best, it can create more immersion for a game that has qualities that make it fun.

If this were true then no one would like Diablo 2 more than Diablo 3 simply due to the fact that the graphics and presentation are far superior to Diablo 2.

A game can be presented poorly and even have poor graphics and maintain fantastic levels of popularity if the core game itself is that mysterious word we call "Fun". A couple examples here are Minecraft and League of Legends.

If a game has little going for it other than extreme polish and attention to detail, it'll get a try or two from everyone judging a book by it's cover, and then the lacking fun-factor will be apparent and people will move on to something else.
Reply Quote
[From post #23 on page 2]
Blizzard you need to read this. Open Lobbies *only*.

I only read from the bolded part onward of the quote, but you have a huge point. I bet if the open games section UI was almost exactly like the first page of the arcade, or if the open games section was either part of the first page, or THE first page, people would probably check out those open games more often because its a simple click or two away from joining an open game.

10/14/2012 10:25 PMPosted by Vindicator
Good looking does not equal fun.

10/14/2012 10:25 PMPosted by Vindicator
If a game has little going for it other than extreme polish and attention to detail, it'll get a try or two from everyone judging a book by it's cover, and then the lacking fun-factor will be apparent and people will move on to something else.

Another point that surprises me concerning squadron, I got bored with it after a few dozen games at most, and yet so many others never got bored yet...

Although this is at least 20% true for most of the other custom games on front page (much more so for *Aeon of Storms), Hero Attack is one of the extremely rare few that both are, and DESERVE to be popular. Even so, its been there for so long that moving on from similarly popular maps, despite quality, should have been done some time ago.

*fyi, for those who didn't notice, Aeon of Storms = Storm of the Imperial Sancum, imo = not that fun and/or different from LoL (at least from what reviews are saying). People may like it either because its Dota, or has a lot going for its **UI, but none of it adds the slightest bit of direct/actual quality. I think AoS deserves to die as badly as Squadron does, if not more, hence AoS is my #2 on my list of "SC2 Custom games that need to die so the system as a whole can improve, or at least be fairer to newer games" (not that I ever made such list).

**Side note: What's up with people complaining about UI? I might ask that more thoroughly by starting a thread about UI on these forums later.

Other than those comments, I'm intrigued to see this thread going to a few pages on its own, and generating constructive ideas, keep it up!
Edited by Setho on 10/15/2012 12:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]