StarCraft® II

[Nexus Wars] - Changelog/Suggestions (3)

Scourge is very powerful vs Terran. Vikings crumble. Zerg and Toss have great AA units and Terran just can't hope to counter air. You can have scourge and colossi and its very hard to stop if you don't have your own scourge.

Terran AA sucks compared to zerg/toss. It could also be argued that the carrier is much better than the BC.
I'm scratching my head about the Archon complaints.

Like...I AM a noob, I literally started playing this weekend. So far, I've always build one race (zerg) and don't switch races to counter my opponent. Sometimes, when I'm trying to blink my worker, I screw up the hotkey and waste my nuke instead. I'm that bad.

And yet I haven't seen a good reason to fear archons. I've won the last ~10 or so nexus wars games I actually played in (not counting games where BNet randomly dropped me during loading). When people have built archons against me, I barely notice them--if anything it's immortals, sentries, and Stalkers that jump out as units that can cause scary pushes earlygame.
A terran can completely nullify a zerg player (including scourges) by just going full ghosts, leaving your teammate to counter whatever other race is left.

Sure, you can counter archons with tanks and thors, but that's just what the toss wants when he switches to immortals.

As for the switching races sure, do it if you can manage it, but by the time you have enough counter units he's already got a bunch of upgrades on you and you're left to split yours.
I know my motivation to continue playing this game is to achieve avatars (scv builders). I have recently reached 500 (hybrid avatar) and my motivation stopped because i feel like it's endless.

Please add another avatar for 750 or 1000 wins so I can feel like im reaching for something...
(mini thor? mini kerrigan? :D)
mini leviathan !!

honestly though, if you are only playing to get a reward then you may as well be at work. the point of playing a game is because the game is fun, if you need some sort of external motivator you need a new hobby.
I'd like to submit a bug, which I think affects all of us late game. Sometimes the game becomes unplayable. I noticed that the Dingle leave some sort of particle effect behind it as it moves, but these particles never die. This means that over time, you get a ton of these effects lying everywhere on the map, not helping lag at all.

If this isn't the right place to post bugs, please let me know where I should be posting.

Thanks
I'd like to submit a bug, which I think affects all of us late game. Sometimes the game becomes unplayable. I noticed that the Dingle leave some sort of particle effect behind it as it moves, but these particles never die. This means that over time, you get a ton of these effects lying everywhere on the map, not helping lag at all.

If this isn't the right place to post bugs, please let me know where I should be posting.

Thanks

This is indeed the right place to post, sir, and I can confirm this bug as well. It'd be nice for it to be fixed so that those of this that this most severely effects can have a playable experience later in the game.

Re: Archons:

I think I may have given the wrong impression here.
I think that the immolation on Archons is a tiny bit overkill. Everything else about them to me is just fine. They're not hard to counter at all. The immolation just feels like overkill when an early Archon first runs into melee units. I am just of the opinion, and it's quite biased, that an Archon should not be able to melt melee units that surround it just because they surround it. I can guarantee you that what I'm describing is not entirely a consequence of the splash radius of the Archon's attack.

But as I said, totally biased.

EDIT:

Could you change the hotkey of upgrading the pylon? I know this is silly but when I place my pylon next to the nexus sometimes I misclick and hit the nexus and hit w, and then I forget to hit escape before I hit my pylon and I end up chronoboosting it. I guess that I could just be less stupid, but it's easy to fudge when it's cold and my hands are shakey ><
Edited by Mirri on 11/13/2012 4:01 PM PST
hotkey the pylon? it also helps you to remember to upgrade it
:)
Edited by Vidar on 11/17/2012 2:28 PM PST
11/17/2012 12:04 AMPosted by MrQuackums
hotkey the pylon? it also helps you to remember to upgrade it

I usually hotkey my pylon 6 and my nexus 5 :| so I still make the mistake sometimes even when I'm not clicking.
Edited by Mirri on 11/17/2012 2:23 PM PST
i still want fungal growth (even ensnare would be nice) and defensive matrix cast from the nexus
Ultras and (insert ranged unit of choice) would beat all those things you listed
zerg are great. their cheap units mean you get income up quicker, which means quicker upgrades and heros (DO NOT wait until 90 supply for upgrades, wait til about 16 or 20 supply for upgrades. and get hero no later than 20 mins). also, mass queen makes zeritul almost unstoppable.

also, bank up 1k or so minerals when you are pushing and hit them with a ling flood. yes, it can be countered but that is why you build them all at once instead of every 50 mins you get, it kills them before they can adapt and counter.

also zerg synergize very well with each other pretty much regardless of what unit combos you get (as long as you NEVER get roach speed and keep creep spread even over all your buildings)

if you play zerg like toss (only dps and hp matter) or like terran (these are my dmg soakers, those are my dmg dealers) you will lose more often than not. the key is to (A) use your army to support your heros (ultras to delay the enemy while odin lands his nukes, queens to heal zeritul and banes to kill sentrys), (B) ALWAYS look at their unit composition so you can change yours to counter, and (C) upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.

Archon, High Templar, and ghosts shut you down without any effort

all of those are countered by ultras, and ghosts/templar are countered by a FEW lings or mutas (storm/snipe my 2 lings instead of my dmg dealing hydra)
zerg are great. their cheap units mean you get income up quicker, which means quicker upgrades and heros (DO NOT wait until 90 supply for upgrades, wait til about 16 or 20 supply for upgrades. and get hero no later than 20 mins). also, mass queen makes zeritul almost unstoppable.

also, bank up 1k or so minerals when you are pushing and hit them with a ling flood. yes, it can be countered but that is why you build them all at once instead of every 50 mins you get, it kills them before they can adapt and counter.

also zerg synergize very well with each other pretty much regardless of what unit combos you get (as long as you NEVER get roach speed and keep creep spread even over all your buildings)

if you play zerg like toss (only dps and hp matter) or like terran (these are my dmg soakers, those are my dmg dealers) you will lose more often than not. the key is to (A) use your army to support your heros (ultras to delay the enemy while odin lands his nukes, queens to heal zeritul and banes to kill sentrys), (B) ALWAYS look at their unit composition so you can change yours to counter, and (C) upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.

Archon, High Templar, and ghosts shut you down without any effort

all of those are countered by ultras, and ghosts/templar are countered by a FEW lings or mutas (storm/snipe my 2 lings instead of my dmg dealing hydra)

Unless both players on the other team in the same lane are going Ghosts, it's entirely possible Ultralisks will be unable to counter Ghosts. And even in the case they are, it's entirely possible that Ghosts can kill Ultralisks. A few mutalisks or lings doesn't help too much vs. a sufficient number of Ghosts, and the other lane is probably not going 2 player all Ghosts.

Archon, HT, and Ghosts should not be a problem if your teammate is competent, assuming you refuse to switch out of Zerg when they start to counter you, but this is anything but a given.

I think you're giving Ultralisks too much credit, they're not an end-all counter to Archons or Ghosts. High Templars, they are, though. But I rarely see anyone go mass High Templar unless they're just being silly.

Still, though, if you see a combination of units that is deadly to pretty much anything your race can put out, you should just switch to a different race. I am still sort of stumped as to why people find that so unthinkable :/
ultras do beat ghosts straight up.

300 mins worth of ghosts (2 buildings) = 2 or 4 ghosts per ultra (1 ghost and change spawns per ultra).

that is 4-8 snipes (assuming they meet at middle of lane) per encounter.

it takes 8 snipes (might be more) to kill an ultra but after that ghosts do crap dmg to ultras (that is also not counting the snipes that the lings take). so yes, SOMETIMES (every 3rd or 4th engagement) ghosts kill the ultra but the rest of the time ultras win. and this is not even taking into account that the ghosts are coming 2 by 2 instead of all at once.

you're giving Ultralisks too much credit, they're not an end-all counter to Archons or Ghosts

depends on what you mean. vs 90 supply of archons (minus the 1 zel and 1 ht/dt) or 90 supply of ghosts (minus the 1 rine) then yes, 90 supply of ultras (minus the 1 ling and hydra) wins. however if they are going heavy (as opposed to mass) archons/ghosts then you need to go heavy ultra but NOT mass ultra. 4-6 is a good number for most situations, almost never go over (unless they are massing units countered by ultras, but then dont get more than 8) and only get less (or none) if they are heavy immortal/tank/marauder. ultras are the ONLY tanks zerg have (roaches dont count, they are a waste of $ after 10 or 15 mins)

NW is a game about composition balance. sometimes your army needs more dps and sometimes it needs more meat. ultras are the beat meat in the game and ghosts/templars are countered by meat (archons are countered by dps with a barrier to keep the archons off).

Still, though, if you see a combination of units that is deadly to pretty much anything your race can put out, you should just switch to a different race. I am still sort of stumped as to why people find that so unthinkable :/

upgraedes: people fear wasting money and that any amount of inefficiency is a bad thing, its the loss aversion fallacy (people are more afraid to lose any given value than happy to gain an equal amount). as far as "deadly to pretty much anything your race can put out" there is not much like that: stealth vs toss, infantry vs zerg, scourge vs air (not the exact same thing, but same idea).
Edited by MrQuackums on 11/24/2012 4:20 PM PST
after i went 13-10 my stats stop recording i have even erased all the nexus wars from my starcraft maps and the stats still wont record please help me some one
the only thing i can think of is games dont count if someone leaves in the first 30 seconds. did you just have a run with a bunch of drops?
No, this has not recorded stats now for me now, for probably over 20 games in a row.
Is there a way to donate to the developers of this map. it is awesome and i want to support it.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]