This is to be a list of changes that need to be committed to the Arcade system in order to restore the faith of fans in Blizzard Entertainment and the Starcraft II franchise. We, the community, believe the listed items must be addressed to revive interest in the Arcade system and promote incentive for innovation among new coming and experienced mapmakers. We also believe that the listed items must be addressed to optimize the playing experience of every kind of Arcade player.
UPDATED AS OF 10/30/2012:
PRIORITY - These are the most pressing concerns of the community right now.
- Default Open Games List - Much of the power of the Open Games List is diminished by it not being the first displayed thing for players when they enter the Arcade. Currently, the Spotlight is shown. The recommendation is that the Open Games List should be made to be the first thing or among the first things shown to players upon entering the Arcade.
- Refreshing Games - It has been a troubling issue for players and map creators alike that games shown on the Open Games List can only go down on the list, and ergo, the longer a game remains active, the more difficult it gets to join it. The most reasonable solution seems to be to allow a host to refresh the game so that the game would appear back at or near the top of the Open Games List.
- AFK Hosts - Players that join a game and take host status and then go away from keyboard (AFK) can hold up games. Unpopular games are especially vulnerable, being rendered unplayable because not enough people join the game and stay long enough to force the game to start. Some games use many player slots and do not reach full capacity easily, further aggravating the issue.
NON-PRIORITY - It would be nice to have these.
- "Open To Public" Button - Sometimes, it's necessary to make a private game before opening it to the public to get certain map and player settings just right before you let the public join. There are a couple of reasons for this: 1. With games auto-starting once all player slots are filled, there may not be enough time to get in last minute tweaks. 2. Some game settings (beyond the game mode) can only be modified in a private game.
- Multiple Named Lobbies Per Map - There are multiple issues with the Arcade system such as the AFK host issue and other visibility/marketing issues that should be addressed by permitting players to create and name multiple lobbies that would be displayed as a collapsible/expandable list beneath maps in the Open Games List. Players ought to be able to join whichever one of these named lobbies catches their interest.
- Input Delay - Some Arcade maps have keyboard or mouse trigger events that have a notable latency between the actual input and the trigger response that exceeds the normal non-trigger command-response latency. If network optimizations can be made in this area, this would be excellent and would promote significantly more innovation in the production of new Arcade maps.
- Dedicated Mapmaker's Chat Channel - Mapmakers would like to have a dedicated chat channel for which help with respect to the editor and Arcade system can be solicited and for general mapmaking discussion. We would also like to be able to be logged into SC2 and the editor simultaneously to maximally benefit from having a dedicated chat channel. Additionally, it would be appreciated if there were other channels geared toward finding beta testers.
- Customizable Chat Channel - Maps should be able to specify their 'home' chat channel by name. Sometimes, it is not desirable for the chat channel's name to match the map's name.
- Pending Players Delay Games -When pending players never join the game and merely delay the game's launch for a significant period of time, that's a problem. The suggested solution is to not place players into a game lobby until they have actually accepted a game invitation and finished downloading the map. In cases where parties are involved, the party should wait on the slowest person in the party to finish downloading the game. Parties already wait; the problem is that they pend while they wait, holding up a game.
To the community: please feel free to discuss the list. I would like for this list to reflect the entire community's judgment, so if you see an item you disagree with being on the list, don't hesitate to bring it up. BE CONSTRUCTIVE OR BE IGNORED. If you would like a new item to be added to the list, also bring that up. Discuss it with others and attempt to win a consensus on your ideas. Thanks.