StarCraft® II

[Discussion]Star Dodge Ball is incredibly fun.

I just wanted the community to be aware of a new custom game called "Star Dodge Ball".

As an avid Squadron Tower Defense player, I find Star Dodge Ball incredibly fun to play.

The game is still in early development, but is already so very fun.

If you were looking for a fun new custom game to play, I believe you should give this one a shot.
Reply Quote
Listen to the man
Reply Quote
yup, i played this map, and it is really nice, needs a bit more popularity though.
Reply Quote
You guys are awesome--I can't believe someone made a thread like this for my little dodgeball game!

I update the game almost daily with bug fixes and new features--it's been my goal since the start of the SC2 Beta to get a game up there on the front page. Please, if you have any suggestions/comments/bug reports/balance concerns, post here or email me at rutegar1122@hotmail.com.

As far as I'm concerned, you're all on my team to make the best dodgeball-themed SC2-based micro-oriented team-play Custom-Arcade game on Battle.net!

Yesterday I released an update with the Zealot as a new playable character, and today I will release a patch to fix a lot of little bugs that have sprouted up. Again, if you have any ideas for new units/abilities/maps, please let me know!
Reply Quote
Heya Rut, it's an honor to have you post here! The game is currently very entertaining, but needs publicity, so let's get it what it deserves!

I love many of your ideas for this game, even things as simple as skills not being able to kill someone. They must be finished off by a dodge ball. I completely agree with this.

The fire map is a great idea, but it is difficult to tell allies from foes (for me anyway).

The SCV turret MAY have too much health.

I love the fact that teams are chosen within the custom game itself. My knowledge of the sc2 editor is not vast, but I believe this would be possible:

~Currently, we choose teams, THEN the map. If this were reversed to choosing the map, THEN the teams, it would open up options for more map ideas such as:

~~3v3 and 4v4 maps. The 3v3 maps could be a square design, and the 4v4 maps could be a triangle design.

~~~Also, for the 4v4 map design, it does not HAVE to be a triangle. It could be similar to the current 6v6 map design, except a team willing to accept the challenge could put themselves in the middle of the other 2 teams when selecting the teams.

Clearly team 2 would be in quite the sticky situation, but it would be a welcome challenge to many players, such as myself. I know I would pick team 2! :)

Finally, but most importantly, the game needs a stat tracking system. (games played, wins, losses, total kills and deaths, perhaps even your most played hero)

STD is a popular game for many reasons, and I believe the stat tracker plays a major part in it.

Unlockables and a leveling system similar to STD would be very cool as well. Unlockables could include new heroes, new abilities to purchase between rounds, and map unlockables that cannot be chosen unless someone in the game has reached X level.

There is nothing wrong with copying ideas from an already very popular custom game. Those ideas are what makes it great, and they would work very well with this custom game design.
Reply Quote
10/23/2012 11:03 AMPosted by rut
Yesterday I released an update with the Zealot as a new playable character, and today I will release a patch to fix a lot of little bugs that have sprouted up. Again, if you have any ideas for new units/abilities/maps, please let me know!

Adding a FFA mode would be pretty cool
BTW, i really like the map
Reply Quote
Photon Discs is much better, and more more cleaned up.
Reply Quote
Kaalan,
Thanks for the ideas! I am definitely gonna work on learning banks so I can implement unlockables, stat-tracking, and the like. In fact, the reason I call the game a "beta" in the loading screen is because it doesn't have these features, which I think are paramount to it being a "real" game.

4v4v4v4 and Free-for-all are game modes that I plan to implement, but not for a while, as they will be very difficult from a programming standpoint to do (the way it is currently set up is optimized for only two teams--a better programmer would have left it open for more!). For 4 teams, I figured a square arena with each team occupying a corner and a cross-shaped "shared" area in the middle would work well.

IShadowWolf,
Believe it or not, my entire inspiration for this game was Bounty's Photon Discs. I think Bounty is one of the most talented mapmakers out there, but third-person view and asdw controls, unfortunately, hinder his game to the point of it being unplayable for me. I wanted to take the concept of throwing and dodging and expand on it in a way that's easy for people to learn and play.

Come to think of it, I should definitely include his name in the Special Thanks for inspiring this game.
Edited by rut on 10/23/2012 4:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/23/2012 04:48 PMPosted by rut
4v4v4v4 and Free-for-all are game modes that I plan to implement, but not for a while, as they will be very difficult from a programming standpoint to do (the way it is currently set up is optimized for only two teams--a better programmer would have left it open for more

there is an easier way to do it, go to map (on top) then to game variants, from there u can add modes like FFA and 4v4v4v4 (well i dont think u can do 16 players)
anyways, these all will have to be chosen before u enter the game lobby (i think)
if u have any problems plz ask ( i am a mapmaker too :D)
i believe u should have done something like this already for ur current version of the map, right?
Edited by TerranMaster on 10/23/2012 6:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
TerranMaster,

Personally, I prefer to use in-game dialogs and menus for game options. It can be set up through variants, but I've always been a fan of voting and whatnot. It's also good from the standpoint that people could change the game mode between games, if they vote to.

The difficulty of adding 4v4v4v4 or FFA has to do primarily with the Leaderboards and other mechanics in the game. I made the Fire Map the way it is (without boundaries) in order to provide a different game mode within the confines of the existing code structure. It looks like it should be a FFA map, and it probably will become one when I get to creating that game mode.

Since the game is so new, I don't want to overwhelm people with too many options at the start of the game. New game modes will certainly come, but it's not at the top of the priority list right now. However, if it appears there's a lot of demand for it, that could change!
Reply Quote
I see, I also prefer using in-game dialogs, but I just do "my way" because it is easier.
GL with the map. :D
Reply Quote
Bump. Really want people to become aware of this game. It really is A LOT of fun.

It's a bit difficult to get full games going, but please give the game a shot with 2v2 or 3v3. (or if you can, a full game, it's so so fun with 12 players.)

Also Rut, If you'd like to keep us updated with patch notes here, that would be pretty cool. :)

If I knew anything about the sc2 editor, I would love to help update the game to be more awesome, but unfortunately, I do not : /. All I can do is post my ideas and responses to updates.
Reply Quote
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Here's an idea to run by you guys--in order to help games get going quicker, I'm thinking of making it 4v4 max just for right now. I ran into a problem the other day with an AFK host, and the entire lobby of 10 people had to wait forever until it finally filled up enough to start automatically.

I've also had several people tell me that smaller games (3v3 or 4v4) are more fun to play. What do you think?

Also, I should mention that the game works well with Computer players. Their AI isn't anything all too impressive, but they can help fill up games quickly!
Reply Quote
4v4 would probably be optimal for the moment, until the game becomes more popular, of course :)

I do usually add in one computer to finish filling the game to an even number.
Reply Quote
10/25/2012 04:38 PMPosted by rut
I've also had several people tell me that smaller games (3v3 or 4v4) are more fun to play. What do you think?

yup i like playing 2v2 and 3v3 more than 5v5 or 6v6, its just that u dont die every 5 seconds
Reply Quote
Cool, I'll release a patch today bringing down the max number of players to 8. I think it'll help get games started quicker.

Also, I want to add in some sort of "handicap" if there's an odd number of players so that the team with the lower player count isn't at a drastic disadvantage. I originally didn't think it'd make too much of a difference, but the way the final round is structured, having an additional 3/4 lives actually gives the team with more people a huge advantage.

I'm thinking of giving the small team a mineral bonus between rounds, say around 4 to 8 more minerals per person to help compensate.

Any thoughts/comments/concerns/suggestions regarding this idea?
Reply Quote
I suppose I can see how odd teams matter on the final round.

However, I don't know that giving the smaller team more minerals between rounds is the answer.

With that being said, I feel that I already receive more minerals if I am on the smaller team because it's easier for your ball to find a target if the opposing team has more players.

Also, one bug to report.

Sometimes, before the final round, I have found that I do not respawn for the remainder of the round. I do not know what triggers the bug to happen. Perhaps two players trying to spawn at the same exact time, or a player standing in the respawn location causing another player to not spawn.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I'm not all too sure about the extra minerals--there's got to be a "funner" way to do it, but I'm having touble coming up with ideas there.

Also, on that bug you found (which seems like a particularly nasty one), did it happen on the standard map or fire map? That used to happen periodically on the fire map and I created a workaround for it, so it'd be good to know if the workaround is failing or if it's another issue entirely.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
Also, one bug to report.

Sometimes, before the final round, I have found that I do not respawn for the remainder of the round. I do not know what triggers the bug to happen. Perhaps two players trying to spawn at the same exact time, or a player standing in the respawn location causing another player to not spawn.

same thing happened to me, i dont remember which round it was on, but it was on the fire map
Reply Quote
i havent played your map yet then, I thought iwas the other star dodge ball game I had played. i will deff have to look at it later then.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]