StarCraft® II

What's Your TvP B/O?

I was wondering what B/O you guys do in TvP, as I have the most trouble in that match-up by far.
Reply Quote
Well, I'm only in gold league, but doing mostly MMM with BFHellions and Thors using 250mm Strike Cannons on things like Archons, Immortals, or Colossi seems to work pretty decently for me. MMM is DPS, BFH is tanking and anti-chargelot, Thor is anti-heavy.

Any decent player will probably roll this if they see it coming or just lean more towards HT, but it's not extremely hard to use if you just pull SCVs to repair the Thors. Just make sure you have Strike Cannons to take out Immortals, Archons, and Colossi; it's the one time you actually can use it to astonishing efficiency.
Reply Quote
I have three builds i mainly use vs them protoss.
First, is a 1rax fast expand into 3 rax Stim + medi timing
Second is 1rax fast expand into 4port Banshee
Third is a 1base play with ghosts marines and medivacs
Reply Quote
1rax fe
2 more barracks
refinery 1
bunker
refinery 2
+1
3 medivacs
3rd CC
add raxes 4-9ish
Reply Quote
Bomber's optimized variant of a 1rax FE.
Reply Quote
10/25/2012 12:50 PMPosted by TheLeet
Bomber's optimized variant of a 1rax FE.

i used to do this one too
Reply Quote
1rax fe
2 more barracks
refinery 1
bunker
refinery 2
+1
3 medivacs
3rd CC
add raxes 4-9ish

I would like to hear more about this.
Reply Quote
1rax fe
2 more barracks
refinery 1
bunker
refinery 2
+1
3 medivacs
3rd CC
add raxes 4-9ish

well im basically tired of losing tvps cause protoss anticipate the +1 medivac push

edit:^ so i play extremely boring like taeja, dont attack at the medivac timing instead just poke or do a drop, and focus on macro. lol

this is it roughly ...

scout with scv keep it alive / hidden FAR away from protoss main base. good players will look for it

part 1
10 depot near mineral line
12 barracks near mineral line
16 OC,
no probe scout or is it a 4p map he hasn't scouted u on yet? cancel marine and build earlier CC on lowground
depot

bunker

refinery
minerals pool to 300
Barracks x 2
refinery 2
techlab and pump marines 3 at a time. stim, when at 100 gas decide based on scv scout
of his natural (how many units, how many probes, whether or not you want to get 2 reactors quickly because he's doing a pressure build, or spend that gas on an earlier factory for faster medivacs) when you start these reactors, get refinery 3 and 4, put only 2 in each gas
i go blindly to two bunkers around this time every game, no reason not to imo when protoss are basically a cheese race
then, ebay, +1 and your normal fact + starport

start marauders when you can. with 2 full gas and 2 2/3 gas by 8ish minutes, youll easily have enough gas to get all your upgrades (stim>shields>conc) and get medivacs out. with practice you can have 3 medivacs out at 10:00, stim done, combat shields very close, and +1 done

at 9:30 or 10-11 if he harassed me in the early game, i cut workers and add CC 3 @ the third location. send a marine around to scout for stuff. i dont raelly push too hard with my bio force until 12 or 14 min, because this 3rd is pretty vulnerable considering how a protoss you force to turtle on 2 base with your medivac push will just be getting upgrades and waiting to counter attack.
after that cc starts ill fill the gasses from earlier up, and add my ebay/armory. from there i just send marines to his 3rd base/4th and 5th and wait for him to take the 4th normally, while i add raxes. since you cut workers at 55~ @10 ish you can get these raxes up super quickly. especially if youre not donating your whole army to collosus/forcefields

from there take a 4th/5th, add more techlab raxes/starports/ghost upgrades/nukes
Edited by SenzaErrori on 10/25/2012 3:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/25/2012 03:19 PMPosted by SenzaErrori
so i play extremely boring like taeja, dont attack at the medivac timing instead just poke or do a drop, and focus on macro.

I do this, too, but I don't think of it as boring. Visualize it as a tightrope walk: you have to just poke at the front and keep probing for a weakness. Make the Protoss fear to take his third or at least have to constantly reposition his forces to prepare for a possible attack. As you are naturally more mobile than he is with stimmed bio units, he HAS to respect the danger. If you happen to see a weakness, strike at it (i.e. he doesn't move to cover his third base) but DO NOT sacrifice a lot of units for some nebulous gain (like, for example, stimming in to try to cancel the third and getting trapped by forcefields as a result). All the while this is happening, you should be getting more upgrades started, more Barracks down, and responding to whatever tech he brings out (i.e. 2nd Starport for Colossi or Ghost Academy for Templar), and generally macroing up a very strong bio force.

Truly great TvP is what happens when both sides master the art of always dancing the units around, never leaving either side QUITE able to land the killing blow, and forcing things like micro drops and kiting battles for every position.
Reply Quote
lol.. i mean its pretty boring. i like rinsing styles and counterattacking.. that just doens't work in this mu

edit: well, counterattacking does
Edited by uffie on 10/25/2012 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My TvP B/O is wierd... It's like a combo of bomber and Lastshadows builds.
Reply Quote
1 rax fe
Reply Quote
1 rax FE into losing my marines to 1 zealot.

or

1 rax FE into wtf how did protoss units get into my main?

or

1 rax FE into 4 stalkers killing my bunker and all my marines.

or

1 rax FE into maybe I should see if he has an exp- oh !@#$ some sort of protoss all-in oh well gg.

or

1 rax FE into 3 rax medivac 10:30 push (make that 11:30 because I'm bad) into doing no damage into failing to secure a third into losing to a protoss deathball because I built viikings and he switched to HTs.
Reply Quote

well im basically tired of losing tvps cause protoss anticipate the +1 medivac push

edit:^ so i play extremely boring like taeja, dont attack at the medivac timing instead just poke or do a drop, and focus on macro. lol

this is it roughly ...

scout with scv keep it alive / hidden FAR away from protoss main base. good players will look for it

part 1
10 depot near mineral line
12 barracks near mineral line
16 OC,
no probe scout or is it a 4p map he hasn't scouted u on yet? cancel marine and build earlier CC on lowground
depot

bunker

refinery
minerals pool to 300
Barracks x 2
refinery 2
techlab and pump marines 3 at a time. stim, when at 100 gas decide based on scv scout
of his natural (how many units, how many probes, whether or not you want to get 2 reactors quickly because he's doing a pressure build, or spend that gas on an earlier factory for faster medivacs) when you start these reactors, get refinery 3 and 4, put only 2 in each gas
i go blindly to two bunkers around this time every game, no reason not to imo when protoss are basically a cheese race
then, ebay, +1 and your normal fact + starport

start marauders when you can. with 2 full gas and 2 2/3 gas by 8ish minutes, youll easily have enough gas to get all your upgrades (stim>shields>conc) and get medivacs out. with practice you can have 3 medivacs out at 10:00, stim done, combat shields very close, and +1 done

at 9:30 or 10-11 if he harassed me in the early game, i cut workers and add CC 3 @ the third location. send a marine around to scout for stuff. i dont raelly push too hard with my bio force until 12 or 14 min, because this 3rd is pretty vulnerable considering how a protoss you force to turtle on 2 base with your medivac push will just be getting upgrades and waiting to counter attack.
after that cc starts ill fill the gasses from earlier up, and add my ebay/armory. from there i just send marines to his 3rd base/4th and 5th and wait for him to take the 4th normally, while i add raxes. since you cut workers at 55~ @10 ish you can get these raxes up super quickly. especially if youre not donating your whole army to collosus/forcefields

from there take a 4th/5th, add more techlab raxes/starports/ghost upgrades/nukes

Thanks! I'm always looking for different ways to get to the same place (such is TvP). :D

I've also been playing with one of the builds posted in those EG Youtube guides (DeMuslim). The one that goes 1raxFE, rax, 2gas, techlab, reactor, ebay, stim, +1, etc, etc, where you start Marauders right away. I like the early Marauders, because I can scout the area outside my base for Pylons a bit safer.

Of course I still do the 4port silliness, but I lost with it a couple times in a row the other day (long games) and then lost to a couple all-ins, so I've been scared back into playing standard. :P Though I do have some ideas for a safer opener based on the DeMuslim one I mentioned above.
Reply Quote
I'm still in bronze league but I managed to beat two gold protoss' last week. I've noticed mech is more effective against zerg than protoss. I beat the gold protoss players with MMM + siege tanks and vikings. If you see DT build a raven and if the see HT build ghosts. Get your upgrades early plan on destroying at least one big army. My strategy is somewhat susceptible to a lot of HT psi storms, so good micro is the key, i.e. stim away from psi storm.

Remember, the protoss is usually going to have a one base advantage over terran, but they have a tendency to consolidate all of their forces into a "death ball", which spreads themselves thin on defense. Therefore, counterattacking on two fronts is a great idea. Try destroying their main and third because, unlike some zerg, there are typically not a lot of key structures at the natural.

-AxyZ
Edited by AxyZ on 10/26/2012 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 rax fe
3 more rax- constant marine production
take 2 gas
start stim
start fact-starport as soon as finished
take 3rd gas start combat shield start engi bay
+1 weapons
2 medivacs
2 reactors
conccussion shell and marauder production
take 3rd by 8:40
Lightly pressure
3 more rax and then its all up to reacting to what he is doing.
Reply Quote
1 rax fe
3 more rax- constant marine production
take 2 gas
start stim
start fact-starport as soon as finished
take 3rd gas start combat shield start engi bay
+1 weapons
2 medivacs
2 reactors
conccussion shell and marauder production
take 3rd by 8:40
Lightly pressure
3 more rax and then its all up to reacting to what he is doing.

ew no +1 at medivac timing
Reply Quote
http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=273357

let me no wut u think...nice fast 2 2 which really really helps for me

that 10 min timing bull!@#$ doesnt ever work for me any more especially on really big maps
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]